Politics

Christmas Tree

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Toby Young? Away and fuck yourself CT man :lol:

There's now two food banks where I live in  Poole . One of the wealthiest boroughs in Britain.  Of course that proves nothing but neither does the smug propaganda the likes of Young turns out to reinforce the prejudices of the ignorant. 

There's not two food banks near you, you posh fucker, it's just Aldi and Lidl have opened up there!

2 hours ago, Renton said:

I thought you were from the peat bogs of the borders you massive hypocrite. :razz:

I've lived in Poole for around 37 of my 48 years....basically spent the entire 80s in the foothills of the Cheviots with some sheep, my only salvation being visits to the smoke to see the likes of KK,Pedro,Gazza and Billy Whitehurst :) 

Translation:

Me and my mates thought we were going to get slaughtered so we ran a low key campaign which was okay as we'd have been able to get rid of the man whose name I won't mention. 

The manifesto was shit but thanks to the tories being shit we dint lose as badly as we thought/hoped. 

All this talk of hope is bollocks - what we need to win now is more failed centrist shite. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJS said:

Translation:

Me and my mates thought we were going to get slaughtered so we ran a low key campaign which was okay as we'd have been able to get rid of the man whose name I won't mention. 

The manifesto was shit but thanks to the tories being shit we dint lose as badly as we thought/hoped. 

All this talk of hope is bollocks - what we need to win now is more failed centrist shite. 

Aye, maybe. I posted the link before reading it tbh. Bridget is full of criticism, but short on solutions. I'm much less relevant and the same.

What about NJS? Does he have any solutions which will actually work?

Well she seems to start by saying she hasn't analysed the votes to see what happened then makes a big point of losses like Mansfield where it does look like "traditional" labour voters did abscond. I think that ignores the increased majorities in a lot of places which are a long way from the metropolitan/student areas she suggests.

The demise of trade unions and a drift towards unregulated working practices does mean that the previous route to mass labour voters might be harder. If that is the case then engaging/bribing young people to get into politics and moreover vote is a damn good strategy - especially as the Tories have ignored them for so long.

I still think Labour has to open up the debate about taxing the rich more - as I said at the time I think personal taxation isn't necessarily the way forward and Id concentrate more on tax avoidance/evasion as a starting point and then engage the public more about what taxation brings.

Ben Goldacre had a series of tweets a while ago about how businesses exist in this country not just for market access but for access to staff and that means the staff want access to education. healthcare etc which costs money via taxes. As I said I'd like to see a broader debate about the state's role in regulating capitalism and in sharing its benefits among the whole population.

I think the country is drifting back to some of the problems of the 80s/90s  and the infighting among the tories is going to get worse - maybe the doom and gloom you showed before the election about the cunts being in power for a long time (some of which I shared) should now be fading - I just wish obviously decent people like Bridget would "get on board" and at least go all out.

Wow, just reading that Johnson has got back into bed with Gove again and his Torygraph article on the £350m per week is lating the foundations for a leadership bid. Will Gove pull another Brutus move at the 11th hour though? The pob-faced weasel 

We could just abandon Neoliberalism. That would resolve all current global issues because it's responsible for basically everything.

Course we'd have new issues, but nazis, nuclear holocaust and climate breaking probs wouldn't be amongst them.

8 hours ago, Rayvin said:

We could just abandon Neoliberalism. That would resolve all current global issues because it's responsible for basically everything.

Course we'd have new issues, but nazis, nuclear holocaust and climate breaking probs wouldn't be amongst them.

I don't think Neoliberalism was at fault in the 1930s, was it? Seems to me that humans are inherently reactionary, parochial hamlet-dwellers with a need to search for a scapegoat, and any betterment we've actually achieved has been down to a willingness to recognise that there are collective benefits to suppressing those traits. But they're always there, lurking. We're fucked. :good:

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Labour/Momentum have decided not to take a vote on Brexit issues. Because obviously it's not of much importance.

Corbyn's been on telly stigmatising economic migrants again. It's increasingly clear that his "seven, or seven and a half" out of 10 for the EU holds about as much water as a Lee Ryder score for Dummett.

21 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I don't think Neoliberalism was at fault in the 1930s, was it? Seems to me that humans are inherently reactionary, parochial hamlet-dwellers with a need to search for a scapegoat, and any betterment we've actually achieved has been down to a willingness to recognise that there are collective benefits to suppressing those traits. But they're always there, lurking. We're fucked. :good:

Nope. Back then it was a toxic blend of fascism and communism, built on the back of the wholescale impoverishment of a nation by an external force. So, not Neoliberalism, but the latter effectively provides 'wholescale impoverishment' of certain sectors of society, so we're basically talking about the same thing. Wealth inequality has always been the guiding force for this shit.

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

Corbyn's been on telly stigmatising economic migrants again. It's increasingly clear that his "seven, or seven and a half" out of 10 for the EU holds about as much water as a Lee Ryder score for Dummett.

:lol:

And blaming the EU for being unable to support failing industries. He'll be promising to re-open the pits next.