Politics

Christmas Tree

9 hours ago, Renton said:

And this is what terrifies me and why I am proud to be a fanny about politics. If the tories win the next election by a large majority it won't just be welfare, education, and the NHS that cops it. It will be all our institutions, including the media and judiciary, and very possibly parliament itself. Its honestly possible we will suffer an irreversible hit and I admit I'm scared shitless of the prospect. 

But he’s getting Brexit done 

10 hours ago, Renton said:

So, Johnson actually was replaced by an ice sculpture. Can it actually get much more surreal than this?

But what does @Dr Gloom make of this? The tories threatening to strip channel 4 of their license?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/alexwickham/boris-johnson-is-threatening-to-review-channel-4s?__twitter_impression=true

I mention this because it's clear what pressure the BBC is under and it explains why, to everyone but Gloom, they have a clear bias towards the tories. 

It looks to me like Johnson is going full Trump. The scene last night when Gove turned up at C4 with his own camera crew to present a staged, alternative narrative on social media was surreal and troubling - I fear for the future of the free press under a Johnson government.

It feels like Steve Bannon has been mentoring the Tory campaign. Perhaps Johnson will in future refuse to take questions in press conferences from journalists he doesn’t like too. 

As for the BBC, while it’s clear, if you follow them on Twitter, that some of their reporters, such as LK, have obvious political leanings, I genuinely believe there is no institutional political bias. I know people who work or have worked in the BBC newsroom who tell me impartiality standards are high, copy is fact-checked and news is only published after being verified by multiple sources. I still don’t buy the conspiracy theories, sorry. 

Can the BBC be blamed for Johnson ducking Neil? I don’t think so. If they misled Labour and the other leaders into thinking it was all agreed when it wasn’t then we have a problem. I do believe they should continue to ask him about it, splash it on the news more and empty chair him if he still refuses to do it.

Was Corbyn’s team naive? They must have suspected Johnson would try and pull some shit like this. A future a solution might be to only transmit the interviews after they’re all in the can.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Why the fuck is Stanley Johnson being given interview time on BBC Breakfast to put his case forward? Rhetorical question obviously 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It looks to me like Johnson is going full Trump. The scene last night when Gove turned up at C4 with his own camera crew to present a staged, alternative narrative on social media was surreal and troubling - I fear for the future of the free press under a Johnson government.

It feels like Steve Bannon has been mentoring the Tory campaign. Perhaps Johnson will in future refuse to take questions in press conferences from journalists he doesn’t like too. 

As for the BBC, while it’s clear, if you follow them on Twitter, that some of their reporters, such as LK, have obvious political leanings, I genuinely believe the there is no institutional political bias. I know people who work or have worked in the BBC newsroom and impartiality standards are high, copy is fact-checked and news is only published after being verified by multiple sources. I still don’t buy the conspiracy theories, sorry. 

Can the BBC be blamed for Johnson ducking Neil? I don’t think so. If they misled Labour and the other leaders into thinking it was all agreed when it wasn’t then we have a problem. I do believe they should continue to ask him about it, splash it on the news more and empty chair him if he still refuses to do it.

Was Corbyn’s team naive? They must have suspected Johnson would try and pull some shit like this. A future a solution might be to only transmit the interviews after they’re all in the can.

I don't think there's a major conspiracy at the BBC but it's clear some individuals may well be acting in the interests of the Tories. We pay a license fee for the BBC but when Johnson gets it I don't think we'll need to for much longer...

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

As for the BBC, while it’s clear, if you follow them on Twitter, that some of their reporters, such as LK, have obvious political leanings, I genuinely believe the there is no institutional political bias. I know people who work or have worked in the BBC newsroom who tell me impartiality standards are high, copy is fact-checked and news is only published after being verified by multiple sources. I still don’t buy the conspiracy theories, sorry. 

I didn't mention a conspiracy, in fact almost the opposite. It's clear the BBC is under intense pressure from the government which is directly leading to unacceptable bias. They don't have the cajones to stand up to Johnson. Incredibly short sighted imo as their best chance of survival is to honestly expose him for what he is. Do they honestly think they will be protected in the next term of office?

I'll make two predictions. Johnson won't face Neil, and he won't be empty seated. Are you betting otherwise? 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I didn't mention a conspiracy, in fact almost the opposite. It's clear the BBC is under intense pressure from the government which is directly leading to unacceptable bias. They don't have the cajones to stand up to Johnson. Incredibly short sighted imo as their best chance of survival is to honestly expose him for what he is. Do they honestly think they will be protected in the next term of office?

I'll make two predictions. Johnson won't face Neil, and he won't be empty seated. Are you betting otherwise? 

you didn't personally, but lots of people on twitter, and here, argue that there is institutional bias and offer things like the recent editing mistake as evidence. the implication is staff are being instructed to make johnson look good by senior editorial, who have abandoned the royal charter. that is a conspiracy and i don't accept it. 

i hope they do empty chair him. whether they do, or not, is another matter. it would take balls. sky and channel 4 both did it, so they should. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

you didn't personally, but lots of people on twitter, and here, argue that there is institutional bias and offer things like the recent editing mistake as evidence. the implication is staff are being instructed to make johnson look good by senior editorial, who have abandoned the royal charter. that is a conspiracy and i don't accept it. 

i hope they do empty chair him. whether they do, or not, is another matter. it would take balls. sky and channel 4 both did it, so they should. 

You can have institutional bias without there being a conspiracy. I'm not arguing there is a covert editorial policy. But looking at the make up of the BBC, in particularly the top brass, I'd say it is undeniably institutionally biased. There have definitely been instances of overt bias as well, the doctored video of Johnson getting clapped rather than laughed at could not have happened by accident. It requires an investigation and somebody needs to be sacked for that. But we know it won't happen. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Gloom and Ewerk

The more I’m seeing the less I’m convinced I was right. I think the BBC need to investigate the errors made during this campaign.

I also think we need to review the government’s influence in the BBC charter and an independent group to look at the minimum number of debates and interviews required from the main parties in future elections.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Renton said:

You can have institutional bias without there being a conspiracy. I'm not arguing there is a covert editorial policy. But looking at the make up of the BBC, in particularly the top brass, I'd say it is undeniably institutionally biased. There have definitely been instances of overt bias as well, the doctored video of Johnson getting clapped rather than laughed at could not have happened by accident. It requires an investigation and somebody needs to be sacked for that. But we know it won't happen. 

sorry, i had to delete the last comment because i misread your reply. institutional bias suggests there is something wrong with editorial policy - surely? 

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

sorry, i had to delete the last comment because i misread your reply. institutional bias suggests a covert editorial policy - surely? 

No, I don't think so. You get a bunch of toffs together from conservative backgrounds then it's almost inevitable you get institutional bias.

Systemic bias, also called institutional bias, is the inherent tendency of a process to support particular outcomes.

Systemic bias https://g.co/kgs/s68fJs

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Why the fuck is Stanley Johnson being given interview time on BBC Breakfast to put his case forward? Rhetorical question obviously 

Warm up for his spot on Victoria Derbyshire right now.

28 minutes ago, Renton said:

No, I don't think so. You get a bunch of toffs together from conservative backgrounds then it's almost inevitable you get institutional bias.

Systemic bias https://g.co/kgs/s68fJs

There are plenty of Tory toffs at the BBC, I doubt many of them are editing packages for the 1pm bulletin.

37 minutes ago, Renton said:

Reading Guardian updates, sounds like Johnson is getting absolutely crucified by Farrari on LBC here?

Well he’s certainly shown what the thinks about scrutiny.

He also didn’t know how many trade deals we’ve done, refused to confirm how many kids he had and hadn’t a clue what his social care plan was going to cost.