Politics

Christmas Tree

30 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Really? It doesn't seem like a bad strategy to me and probably the only play they can make given the data.

I think changing strategy in the manner at this stage is pretty suicidal. They should focus on winning tactical voters, not wooing leavers. More fence sitting and trying to appeal to everyone hasn't worked and won't work. 

Just now, Renton said:

I think changing strategy in the manner at this stage is pretty suicidal. They should focus on winning tactical voters, not wooing leavers. More fence sitting and trying to appeal to everyone hasn't worked and won't work. 

Would be shit to gain a few by tactical voting but lose places like Sunderland though. 

I agree with Ewerk - along with Corbyn's failures, the tendency for people to treat GEs as presidential type contests is a failing as well - possibly could be offset by electoral reform but I'm not sure. 

Maybe Labour could try making it more of a team game - there are some decent people in the shadow cabinet who compare favourably with the set of cunts opposite. 

1 minute ago, NJS said:

I agree with Ewerk - along with Corbyn's failures, the tendency for people to treat GEs as presidential type contests is a failing as well - possibly could be offset by electoral reform but I'm not sure. 

One of the most striking things I noticed about the polling yesterday was that the SNP get 43 seats with 3% of the vote yet Lib Dems get 13 seats with 14% of the vote.

I know that's nothing new but if you were to come up with an electoral system from scratch then FPTP would seem insane.

I'd add that the mass membership/momentum enclaves should realise that one improvement that has been made is that they have more of a say in policy now so they shouldn't fear a more moderate leader as much as they probably do. 

I know Blair had an iron grip on these matters but I don't see how a new leader could return to that paradigm easily. 

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

One of the most striking things I noticed about the polling yesterday was that the SNP get 43 seats with 3% of the vote yet Lib Dems get 13 seats with 14% of the vote.

I know that's nothing new but if you were to come up with an electoral system from scratch then FPTP would seem insane.

Of course - I know they're cunts but it was just as unfair that ukip didn't gain any MPs given their share last time. 

5 minutes ago, NJS said:

I'd add that the mass membership/momentum enclaves should realise that one improvement that has been made is that they have more of a say in policy now so they shouldn't fear a more moderate leader as much as they probably do. 

Do they get much more of a say? The membership have been crying out for a peoples vote for years but Corbyn has only recently come round to the idea. They voted for freedom of movement at conference but I don't think that has made the manifesto? I know Corbyn has claimed they now decide policy but I think that's only the case when he agrees with the policy.

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

But then again doesn't Scotland deserve proper representation? Don't get me wrong, I agree the whole system is broken, but there won't  be an easy fix. 

Yeah, I think any PR system would have to be based on the four countries rather than the UK as a whole.

Although if the SNP were on a nationwide party ballot I bet they'd do surprisingly well in the rest of the UK. :lol: 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

But then again doesn't Scotland deserve proper representation? Don't get me wrong, I agree the whole system is broken, but there won't  be an easy fix. 

Obviously the regional parties will be protected when I gain power. You could have different areas for each of the nations to do so.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Just reading there that as part of the new strategy Labour are letting Ian Lavery of the leash. :lol:

That'll work.

I imagine the general reaction will be, 'who the fuck are you'?

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Do they get much more of a say? The membership have been crying out for a peoples vote for years but Corbyn has only recently come round to the idea. They voted for freedom of movement at conference but I don't think that has made the manifesto? I know Corbyn has claimed they now decide policy but I think that's only the case when he agrees with the policy.

I think it's more of a "you can't ignore us" boost - obviously Corbyn's stubbornness has played a part on somethings but I still don't think that if someone like Cooper was elected they'd be able to drop the more "extreme" policies easily. 

I think this change in approach to woo leavers is a good idea personally. There'll be loads of people genuinely conflicted but planning to vote Tory because they think its the only way of ensuring Brexit. If you can give them an out and tell them they don't have to vote for Johnson as PM, I think there'll be some that will take it. 

I don't think you risk losing any tactical voters in the process either, so it doesn't have to be one or the other. It's different strategies for different constituencies, which makes perfect sense. 

10 hours ago, Tom said:

I said in work this morning...something along the lines of “fucking hell Labour have just released a 451 page dossier detailing the governments plans to sell the NHS” 

A lady responded -

“Yes....but Corbyn doesn’t respect the queen though does he?”

:lol:

AND HE HATES JEWS!!!

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN HIM

So, Johnson actually was replaced by an ice sculpture. Can it actually get much more surreal than this?

But what does @Dr Gloom make of this? The tories threatening to strip channel 4 of their license?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/alexwickham/boris-johnson-is-threatening-to-review-channel-4s?__twitter_impression=true

I mention this because it's clear what pressure the BBC is under and it explains why, to everyone but Gloom, they have a clear bias towards the tories. 

• Like 2

And this is what terrifies me and why I am proud to be a fanny about politics. If the tories win the next election by a large majority it won't just be welfare, education, and the NHS that cops it. It will be all our institutions, including the media and judiciary, and very possibly parliament itself. Its honestly possible we will suffer an irreversible hit and I admit I'm scared shitless of the prospect. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Renton said:

So, Johnson actually was replaced by an ice sculpture. Can it actually get much more surreal than this?

But what does @Dr Gloom make of this? The tories threatening to strip channel 4 of their license?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/alexwickham/boris-johnson-is-threatening-to-review-channel-4s?__twitter_impression=true

I mention this because it's clear what pressure the BBC is under and it explains why, to everyone but Gloom, they have a clear bias towards the tories. 

Gloom and Ewerk