That pointless New Years resolution thing...

Park Life

I can't think of anything I'd less enjoy than being vegan.

maybe an angry fisting from a nazi rhino?

i actually eat a lot of vegan meals at the moment so will find it less hard than most, i suspect.

i've barely done any exercise this month after suffering a bad back injury and i've been boozing and overdoing it a fair bit, so i'm also interested in how it'll make me feel from a detox perspective.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the point is that we don't need meat to survive; we're not carnivores by design and the thing that separates us from pigs is we can make an informed choice over what to eat. i don't think there's anything wrong with eating meat, and i wouldn't preach to anyone not to - it's a personal choice. my personal view though is factory farming (including dairy cows and battery chickens) is inhumane. and i'm also interested in seeing how a animal product-free diet makes me feel, given we don't need these food sources to survive.

Who you calling a carnivore like?

I understand that industrial farming is an ethical minefield (which are very much an ethical no no, so it's doubly bad), however, I don't think that industrial farming of fruit and veg is innocent of damaging animals habitat.

Would you eat animals if it could be proven they've been "humanely" reared for slaughter?

End of the day, it's your body and you can deny it pleasure in which ever way you like. ;)

the point is that we don't need meat to survive; we're not carnivores by design and the thing that separates us from pigs is we can make an informed choice over what to eat. i don't think there's anything wrong with eating meat, and i wouldn't preach to anyone not to - it's a personal choice. my personal view though is factory farming (including dairy cows and battery chickens) is inhumane. and i'm also interested in seeing how a animal product-free diet makes me feel, given we don't need these food sources to survive. 

What about non-farmed fish?

(I realise there are sustainability issues but that aside they are pretty "natural".

What about non-farmed fish?

(I realise there are sustainability issues but that aside they are pretty "natural".

non-farmed fish rates pretty well on the guilt scale.

i'm doing it for a bunch of reasons, the ethics is part of it, the health benefits another. the main reason is is just to see how difficult it is, whether i can keep it going for the whole month and how it makes me feel.

i suspect it'll be bloody tough but am up for the challenge.

Who you calling a carnivore like?

I understand that industrial farming is an ethical minefield (which are very much an ethical no no, so it's doubly bad), however, I don't think that industrial farming of fruit and veg is innocent of damaging animals habitat.

Would you eat animals if it could be proven they've been "humanely" reared for slaughter?

End of the day, it's your body and you can deny it pleasure in which ever way you like. ;)

i'll counter it by treating myself to three wanks a day

non-farmed fish rates pretty well on the guilt scale.

i'm doing it for a bunch of reasons, the ethics is part of it, the health benefits another. the main reason is is just to see how difficult it is, whether i can keep it going for the whole month and how it makes me feel.

i suspect it'll be bloody tough but am up for the challenge.

Then take up the Theremin!

i'll counter it by treating myself to three wanks a day

Why would you cut down on that too?

To see if I can do it, and to see whether it makes me feel healthier. And because I despise industrial farming.

My cousin turned vegan and says she's never felt better. She's 39 and she looks 20 something. And she made a pretty convincing argument for trying it out. Human beings are omnivores, not carnivores. We're like pigs, in that sense.

Why do we eat? To get minerals the body needs from the earth. Why not get them straight from the earth instead of via a slaughtered animal?

It won't be easy, but I'm keen to see if I can do it, and how I feel. Eating out will be the hardest bit so January is the best month to try it in that sense as it tends to be quiet, socially speaking.

It's not the same but...

I decided to go veggie for a month in May this year, purely to see if I felt healthier as I couldn't shake off a cold/flu for about two months prior. I totally underestimated how much I was going to crave meat (Steady on)! A week was fine but by the second sunday when a load of friends went for sunday lunch at a restaurant, it was killing me. Made it through the month though, and to celebrate I got a really greasy chicken kebab when I was wrecked on the weekend - whitied it all up the day after and had the worst stomach ache I've ever had in my life. I haven't eaten meat since and honestly feel loads better for it. It isn't as extreme as going vegan (which I really don't think I could do), but I would say that within a month there are definitely notable health benefits. I've found I don't feel half as lethargic as I used to, which is weird. Not sure if there is actually a scientific explanation behind it...

This year's resolution for myself will be to continue the trajectory of the past 4 new years resolutions - reduce daily cigarette intake by one. 5 years ago I was smoking 14 tabs a day. Hit that on the head and brought it down to 9 tabs. Now I'm down to 5, and definitely think I can manage 4 now. Great way to steadily quit I am finding.

Also, for those quitting the booze, good luck. Tried to have a sober November in preparation for December. Managed 11 days. Fuck that shit.

The reaction to someone saying they'll go vegan for a month is mental. The more vegans the better, the planet could do do with it.

Being a vegan is mental. If everyone went vegan, there would be no farm animals at all. No cows, no chickens, no sheep. Won't someone think of the animals?

Plus I've never met a vegan who isn't preachy as fuck, I think lack of animal protein fucks the brain.

Being a veggie is different though, I frequently have veggie days.

Being a vegan is mental. If everyone went vegan, there would be no farm animals at all. No cows, no chickens, no sheep. Won't someone think of the animals?

I've had this argument a few times - the food animals are effectively man-made so wouldn't exist if we didn't eat them - that doesn't mean I condone unnecassary suffering like Kosher/Halal shit but I think we've come too far to go back to some kind of base hunter/gatherer or ethically vegan existence - not preventing individual choice of course.

Probably just some half-arsed attempt to drink less, which I'll fail at by mid-January.

I think I've only ever kept one new years resolution, which was to take one photo every day. I started at the beginning of 2010 and haven't stopped since. :lol:

My cousin turned vegan and says she's never felt better. She's 39 and she looks 20 something.

Probably more to do with having good genes, although I understand clean living does contribute. I try and have 4 meat free days a week myself up until about a fortnight ago. But recently I watched Celebrity Come Dine With Me Australia Christmas special, and Shane Warne's ex-wife was on it. A massive bogan (Australian version of a chav) who can't cook for shit - she served chicken sandwiches for entrees and thought they were a winner because she poached the chicken in champagne, her mains were lamb souvlaki where she forgot to cook onions so the lamb sat there too long by the time she managed to cook them and the guests had a hard time getting any of it down, and her desert was some shitty looking chocolate log thing where she found the recipe of it on the back a biscuit packet. That was her proud moment of the night. :lol: Needless to say she came last by a margin.

But the point is she does not eat any veges at all, absolutely detests them only for a slice of tomato and lettuce here and there like when she makes her shitty souvlakis. Sounds like a lass who eats a lot of meals from tins and frozen cartons. But she looks quite fit - I think she's in her mid 40's now. Blessed with good genes and fast metabolism.

simone.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Having conquered smoking and eating crap I really can't think of anything much left that I feel strongly about giving up.

The things I'm looking to do this year (not goals as such) are continue to learn to cook and build my own recipe book that will be passed down from generation to generation.

Play some golf as I don't think I've played for a few years.

Get on a plane somewhere warm (terrible fear of flying).