Only in America

The Fish

Itll be filibustered in the Senate and Obama will never sign the bill. Which shows what a proper bicameral legislature and balance of powers should look like I suppose, unlike what we have here.

Edit: That wasn't the analogy btw. Maybe one day they'll make a Horrible Histories episode out of it and you'll be able to understand.

Edited by ewerk

Itll be filibustered in the Senate and Obama will never sign the bill. Which shows what a proper bicameral legislature and balance of powers should look like I suppose, unlike what we have here.

Edit: That wasn't the analogy btw. Maybe one day they'll make a Horrible Histories episode out of it and you'll be able to understand.

WHY MUST I ALWAYS BE LEFT IN THE DARK.

It means shut down planned parenthood rather than the government I think, but even so it's not hugely impressive.

The federal funding bill due at the end of the month included the $500m for Planned Parenthood and the Republicans were threatening to vote down the federal funding bill unless the PP money was removed, that would have led to an entire shutdown of the federal government.

The thing is that none of the federal money given to PP goes towards abortions, it's used for women's health services.

• 2 weeks later...

The wacky bastards.

This sort of shit is the result of places like New York being completely unaffordable for the average Joe. So you get all these 'zany' rich types living in places like Greenwich Village who think they're being wild when in fact they're part of the reason the life has been sucked out of the place. Manhattan's a much nicer place for tourists to visit but when they cleaned it up the creativity was thrown out too. This is what counts for a 'scene' now.

Aye there's a good documentary on Netflix about the Greenwich Village scene in the 60s. About all the folk singers, Dylan etc, but the thing that you notice most is how seedy and rough it all looks. Sooner that than these dickheads though.

I mean if you're gonna go on a gun rampage, don't do it in a school when you've got people like this to deal with.

Aye there's a good documentary on Netflix about the Greenwich Village scene in the 60s. About all the folk singers, Dylan etc, but the thing that you notice most is how seedy and rough it all looks. Sooner that than these dickheads though.

I mean if you're gonna go on a gun rampage, don't do it in a school when you've got people like this to deal with.

It was still seedy and rough in the 80s but you'd never have gotten the punk and hip-hop scenes without stuff like that either. Not the 'roughness' per se, just the affordability allowing lots of young people to be able to live there without having a job on Wall Street. Slight exaggeration but you'll take my point. There should be a happy medium but once the property developers get in on it it's game over. London's got similar 'problems'.

Yeah I was reading something the other day saying that London is basically just a property portfolio for Russian oligarchs and Dubai types.

You're right though, you watch that doc and these folk types were dirt poor, living on the shitty money they made from their performances and yet still living locally. Good luck with that now.

San Francisco is the same - I was paying $1400 a month for a one bed apartment when I was there, which in itself is ridiculous, but I asked someone on Reddit how much you'd pay for an apartment on that block now and he reckoned at least $3.5k per month but probably over $4k. I don't know how anyone normal lives there anymore - particularly if you're in something vaguely artsy or creative where you're living hand to mouth, you probably can't even afford Oakland prices anymore.

The London property market is supposedly sustained, at least in part, by money laundering from foreign criminals. The government are meant to be cracking down on it but you'd have to question how much they really want to.

The London property market is supposedly sustained, at least in part, by money laundering from foreign criminals. The government are meant to be cracking down on it but you'd have to question how much they really want to.

Boris glories in it like a pig in shit - I wouldn't be surprised if he's quids in somehow.

Boris glories in it like a pig in shit - I wouldn't be surprised if he's quids in somehow.

If he's got property in London he's quids in anyway, even if he isn't 'involved'. Most MPs have a vested interest in a London property bubble being sustained.

Had 2 Syrian 'refugees' stay with me last weekend. One had a mobile phone business in Lebanon and the other worked in a greengrocer. They're in Germany cause their mates told them they will get loads of cash and free education here. :lol: