Scots Money

Rob W

If the Scots want independence that's up to them but doing so forfeits any claims to any benefits of being part of the union imo, they can't have it both ways. Where exactly are they going to get all the money to fund their free services etc? I gather they're going to continue with free prescriptions, etc and even set up free tv licensing, who's paying for that and how? Seems a weird idea to me, Salmond just seems like a shouty little bullshitter who's trying to convince anyone that'll listen that Scotland will be another Monaco... I just can't see it myself. It's all Mel Gibson's fault this you know, tricking people with a rehash of fictional history that stirred up some daft grudge between the auld enemy (which let's be fair nobody gives a shit about south of the border). For people like Salmond Scotland's history comprises of fights with the English oppressors, for the English any history between the two countries is largely forgotten in favour England's fights and conquests with the rest of the world.

The worst thing that will happen for any vote will be if Scots don't take Salmond seriously and don't bother voting to stay as part of Britain, because it'd be a shame if a loud minority pulled off independence when I get the impression the majority of Scots don't want it.

Oil, gas, fish, agriculture, banking, technology, wind and wave farms.

And how many of the people who run these industries want an "aye" vote this year?

That, and the wishes of the EU will decide it iyam.

If the EU dont allow an independant Scotland in then there will be customs posts on the border. I saw this in Croatia last summer when they joined the EU on july 1st, the border with Bosnia used to have just a road sign saying "welcome to Bosnia"...now there are huge checkpoints causing massive queues because Bosnia isnt an EU member. This will only be the most visible sign of a completly ludicrous situation for trade and business.

Having said that, it would be a pretty ludicrous situation if it is a "yes" vote if the likes of Scotland were excluded and Croatia were. Depends of Barosa's comments at the weekend, firing a warning shot across the boughs of Catalunya and the Basque region, are serious. Spain and England want to keep the tax revenues of the regions wishing to split, thats for sure.

And how many of the people who run these industries want an "aye" vote this year?

That, and the wishes of the EU will decide it iyam.

If the EU dont allow an independant Scotland in then there will be customs posts on the border. I saw this in Croatia last summer when they joined the EU on july 1st, the border with Bosnia used to have just a road sign saying "welcome to Bosnia"...now there are huge checkpoints causing massive queues because Bosnia isnt an EU member. This will only be the most visible sign of a completly ludicrous situation for trade and business.

Having said that, it would be a pretty ludicrous situation if it is a "yes" vote if the likes of Scotland were excluded and Croatia were. Depends of Barosa's comments at the weekend, firing a warning shot across the boughs of Catalunya and the Basque region, are serious. Spain and England want to keep the tax revenues of the regions wishing to split, thats for sure.

The UK has already stated it wouldn't block and Spain has already said it won't block if UK doesn't

He' commission they take no part in deciding if a nation is accepted or not.

Yeah....he's not keen though....bottom line is I dont think the corporate world want the uncertainty independance will bring. Thats why their lackeys in Brussels and Westminster are trying to swing it for "no".

I suspect the majority of those examples would have to be divvied up between the countries, with Britain gaining the majority. For starters the whole North Sea oil/gas debate throws a massive spanner in the argument because the oil/gas pockets don't just stop in line with Hadrians Wall. wind and wave farms aren't worth anything, fish is limited and no doubt would cause more border disputes. Banking, I can;t see why anyone would invest in a newly formed country with that much risk and no collateral - it's not like Scotland's a source of precious mineral mines inland. What technology do they have to offer that isn't funded by the British government and would be moved south? Then there's the armed forces, all the British bases would be moved south? That's a lot of jobs lost straight away, and would the Scottish have their own military? Again, it'd need funding. To be honest I can't see why they'd bother leaving the union if they have any sense, they get a pretty free ride as it is. Personally, for all those Scots that want independence I'd loved nothing more than to see the back of them if they're that keen but at the same time I'd hope all the Scottish politicians in the British government would also be sent packing because it'd be hard to justify split loyalties, how could the British people trust them to do whats best for Britain and not help out Scotland?

they get a pretty free ride as it is.

and there it is - a quality comment from the terminally misinformed and smacking of that dominant partner arrogance that we have come to expect - lording it up from north sea reveues all the while the following figures pass you by ...

- in 2011/12 Scotland contributed £56.9 billion in tax revenue, which isequivalent to £10,700 per person, compared to £9,000 per person for the UK as a whole;

- since 1980/81 Scotland has contributed £222 billion more in tax revenues than if it had just matched the per capita contributions of the UK.

and there it is - a quality comment from the terminally misinformed and smacking of that dominant partner arrogance that we have come to expect - lording it up from north sea reveues all the while the following figures pass you by ...

- in 2011/12 Scotland contributed £56.9 billion in tax revenue, which isequivalent to £10,700 per person, compared to £9,000 per person for the UK as a whole;

- since 1980/81 Scotland has contributed £222 billion more in tax revenues than if it had just matched the per capita contributions of the UK.

Those figures are largely based on your North Sea revenues and you are assuming that the right to North Sea resources will be divided on a geographical basis. Also, production of North Sea oil has fallen from 2.8m b/d in 1999 to 1m b/d in 2012 and is likely to continue declining. In this case the use of historical figures dating back to over 30 years ago can be very misleading.

I suspect the majority of those examples would have to be divvied up between the countries, with Britain gaining the majority. For starters the whole North Sea oil/gas debate throws a massive spanner in the argument because the oil/gas pockets don't just stop in line with Hadrians Wall. wind and wave farms aren't worth anything, fish is limited and no doubt would cause more border disputes. Banking, I can;t see why anyone would invest in a newly formed country with that much risk and no collateral - it's not like Scotland's a source of precious mineral mines inland. What technology do they have to offer that isn't funded by the British government and would be moved south? Then there's the armed forces, all the British bases would be moved south? That's a lot of jobs lost straight away, and would the Scottish have their own military? Again, it'd need funding. To be honest I can't see why they'd bother leaving the union if they have any sense, they get a pretty free ride as it is. Personally, for all those Scots that want independence I'd loved nothing more than to see the back of them if they're that keen but at the same time I'd hope all the Scottish politicians in the British government would also be sent packing because it'd be hard to justify split loyalties, how could the British people trust them to do whats best for Britain and not help out Scotland?

Scotland would own 90% of north sea oil not even Better Together dispute this.

Must be a bit of a dilemma for Cameron and Co, on the one hand they're a 'Unionist' Party and would he like to be known as the Conservative Prime Minister who lost Scotland? On the other hand, it's not like there's many Conservative votes or MP's they're going to lose over it compared to Labour I'd imagine? It could only strengthen their position in England and Wales.

Must be a bit of a dilemma for Cameron and Co, on the one hand they're a 'Unionist' Party and would he like to be known as the Conservative Prime Minister who lost Scotland? On the other hand, it's not like there's many Conservative votes or MP's they're going to lose over it compared to Labour I'd imagine? It could only strengthen their position in England and Wales.

Why do you think they sent Osborne up to Edinburgh? It's probably the biggest boost the yes vote could have had.

I hope the sweaties get their independence personally. Will certainly raise the British life expectancy ratio if they do, with England, Wales and Northern Ireland on their own.

How do you see it panning out, Stevie?

zqdYbDH.jpg

"Hang on, HMHM, I'll just check the odds on me new 'SelfieFone'. Yep, it's looking good. Me that is, not the odds."

;)