Scots Money

Rob W

You are correct we did ask for clarity - and what we got was a BofE chairman telling us it was possible followed swiftly by Gideon arriving in Edinburgh, dropping the 'ye canny hav oor money' speech and then running out a side door without taking any questions - how very democratic and accountable. What most commentators didn't pick up from his speech was that there was some wriggle room - saying what they like now but come September and a possible YES vote he'll be on the blower pronto trying to broker a deal.

Next weeks scare story will be along the lines of 'the EU won't have you" - from a Tory party who are having an in/out referendum at some point (hoping to come out ).

It therefore follows that if the UK government have effectively closed ranks and are prepared to play hardball then so too should the SNP/supporters of the YES campaign - i.e. don't give us the pound or any share of the assets and you can shove you debt right up your hole. You really woudn't expect the YES crew to roll over and say tickle my fekin tummy.

Effectively though it matters not a jot whether we keep the pound (which is partly ours as well), or continue to print our bank notes (aka funny money) and strike up a mint to print coins - either having a Scots pound as was the case pre-1707 which will eventually move over to the Euro OR having our pound linked to sterling in some way. The Wall Street Journal has alluded to this in recent weeks and has openly stated that Gideon 'hasn't got things right'. Commentators have stated that it is "viable" and "easy to implement option" to link a future Scots pound to sterling one-for-one and there would be little any Chancellor could do about it.

You also have to question Gideon down there a bit more closely - is he and his cross party chums - really prepared to rule out a currency union that will cost the remaining UK taxpayers (i.e. you lot) possibly billions of pounds, blow a feking huge hole in your balance of payments, and also left having to fully pick up the tab for the whole UK debt - might be why he ran away and didn't want to answer any questions on the matter.

As the polls narrow towards parity between YES and NO it makes me wonder what other utter drivel and hyperbole we'll be subjected to from the NO camp in the coming months.

1653650_601856019893436_144363811_n.jpg

I really don't see why it would be problem if Scotland went on it's own, they will still belong to EU family. I hope the Scots will vote yes.

Edited by Ausman

Topcat, you've outlined a number of points that wouldn't prevent you from leaving the Union but exactly why is it that you do want to leave? What would be so much better in an independent Scotland?

KCG has a valid point ...namely what would happen to the rest of the UK in the event of a YES vote ... there would have to be significant debate over whether it is a new state or a continuing one given the rest of the UK's slimmed down status. All UK signed treaties like agriculture and fishing which would be rendered redundant overnight. Scotland has also adhered to EU law for nearly 40 years so that would possibly be suspended in any interim period.

As for Barosso he was talking absolute pish - led by the hand by Marr this morning and asked the real unionist question (strangely enough the interview was on the the BBC) and subsequently allowed the latitude to give the big scary story du jour - I thought they might have waited a week or so with this but they are really going for it good style. He was alluding to either a Spanish veto OR a UK veto on our future membership (presuming we even want to join it in the first place). However with that ginger twat Danny Alexander already stating on the record that the UK will recognise Scotland as an indepebdent nation it rules out a UK veto. As such recognition is in place it also rules out a Spanish veto ... Spain only oppose Kosovo as Serbia doesn't recognise their independent nationhood.

Barosso talked about it being "difficult" and "if not impossible" ... to anyone with half a brain that means that is is, indeed, possible after all - no story here so fkin jog ron.

I'll leave you with a link to Gideon and his smartphone clutching aides running away from Edinburgh - refusing again to engage with STV - seems that they only want to brief the BBC just now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHzRILA43xU

Imagine a situation where Schleswig-Holstein decided to secede from Germany and the EU turned round and said "right, sorry Germany, you're not Germany any more and you'll have to renegotiate the terms of your membership". Joggen Sie der fuck an, as Google Translate would probably have it. :lol:

Imagine a situation where Schleswig-Holstein decided to secede from Germany and the EU turned round and said "right, sorry Germany, you're not Germany any more and you'll have to renegotiate the terms of your membership". Joggen Sie der fuck an, as Google Translate would probably have it. :lol:

Inagine a situation which is likely to happen or one where something close to this has happened.

Amazing!

Wee Eck asks for "clarity"

the Gov of the Bank of England, The Chancellor of the Exchequer and the two trukeys who shadow him say no way Jose

Wee Eck - they don't know what they'r talking about.....

The European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso, a man who has spent most of his life in Brussels says "No way Jose"

Wee Eck - he doesn't know what he is talking about

I'm begginning to see a pattern here

Amazing!

Wee Eck asks for "clarity"

the Gov of the Bank of England, The Chancellor of the Exchequer and the two trukeys who shadow him say no way Jose

Wee Eck - they don't know what they'r talking about.....

The European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso, a man who has spent most of his life in Brussels says "No way Jose"

Wee Eck - he doesn't know what he is talking about

I'm begginning to see a pattern here

The Governor of the Bank of England didn't say "no way"

Barroso is covering his spanish tracks and pre empting Catalan and Basque seperatism. The UK has already said it won't block Scottish EU membership. Also as has already been pointed out self determination is protected by EU law.

Other than that you're spot on cos never in the history of politics has a politician ever said "if this happens we will do this" and then changed their mind when it does.

If the Scots want independence that's up to them but doing so forfeits any claims to any benefits of being part of the union imo, they can't have it both ways. Where exactly are they going to get all the money to fund their free services etc? I gather they're going to continue with free prescriptions, etc and even set up free tv licensing, who's paying for that and how? Seems a weird idea to me, Salmond just seems like a shouty little bullshitter who's trying to convince anyone that'll listen that Scotland will be another Monaco... I just can't see it myself. It's all Mel Gibson's fault this you know, tricking people with a rehash of fictional history that stirred up some daft grudge between the auld enemy (which let's be fair nobody gives a shit about south of the border). For people like Salmond Scotland's history comprises of fights with the English oppressors, for the English any history between the two countries is largely forgotten in favour England's fights and conquests with the rest of the world.

The worst thing that will happen for any vote will be if Scots don't take Salmond seriously and don't bother voting to stay as part of Britain, because it'd be a shame if a loud minority pulled off independence when I get the impression the majority of Scots don't want it.