Favourite ever season.

Christmas Tree

Was a young bairn through Keegan and when Robson left, I was only 14 so let me tell you how tremendous the period from 2009-2012 was supporting us as a student with disposable income. The season we were in the Championship, I was at Sunderland Uni and in a wonderful, loving relationship. In between getting tickets while I could for home games, I was away in Scotland, finding dodgy streams of Justin what's-his-tits on Century Radio and trying not to wake wor lass as Joey Barton scored a free kick against Plymouth. I remember where I was when Jose Enrique scored against Forest; standing in the Gallowgate, valiantly flicking the V's at the Forest fans in the upper tier. They had beat us in the autumn and we had fucking well come back and showed them that we were bouncing back up. Then, we came up, full of piss and wind and we beat Villa 6-nowt, Carroll was ripping the bollocks off everyone he faced and as this was going on, I was out 4 nights a week, getting rat arsed and enjoying my student life. Then, it happened. We TWATTED Sunderland 5-1 and that was it. I was buying trebles, shots, cocktails, the lot as the season went on and it just kept going from there. When Hughton was sacked, I didn't even believe it because I'd spent the 24 hours previous getting mortal with a group of students from Angola who fed me dodgy whiskey until 7 in the morning and the lady of the group kept trying to stir my knackers into life. Sadly for here, that was a fool's errand after the drink she plied me with. Anyway, Pardew came and things were alreet and then in 2011/12, we suddenly started looking decent. There was a mackem in my local pub who was saying things like "You know, it's all John Carver pulling the strings" and "That Ben Arfa, he's injury prone though, isn't he?" gigantic mackem bullshit aside, I was a 21 year old man who was watching my beautiful side give teams hidings. We'd go down to Blackburn and Ryan Taylor and Obertan would get our goals and I'd drink to that. We'd beat Man United 3-0 and I'd end up in The Gate, telling a lass my postcode so she could ring a taxi for us. We'd spend an entire Easter period unbeaten and I'd watch us win every game, getting more and more wrecked as time went on, barely denting my student loan. Cisse was scoring ridiculous goal after ridiculous goal, Pardew seemed like a decent bloke and every weekend was an exercise in celebratory joy. So, even though we won nowt and everything went south with Pardew soon after, that period, where I was a carefree student with money to burn and my team gave me 3 good seasons off the trot was the finest time I can remember. Aye, we won nowt and really, fifth in isolation means nothing but at the time, it felt like the dawn of a brand new Newcastle. I realise now it was the drink but fuck me, Hatem, Ba and Cisse up front. Cabaye free kicks. Shola bicycle kicks, Nolan hat tricks, Peter Lovenkrands winning me £150, I'll look back on it all fondly. Aye, we never got close to winning the league and aye, a lot of it is "look at this student waller not working" but fuck me, what a time to be a lazy scruff and what a time to watch us right some bastard wrongs.

For me - as someone who has really only been an active supporter since the 2006/07 season - it's been the 2011/12 season, followed somewhat closely by the 2009/10 Championship season. Both seasons featured he best attacking football I've seen during my time supporting Newcastle.

Was a young bairn through Keegan and when Robson left, I was only 14 so let me tell you how tremendous the period from 2009-2012 was supporting us as a student with disposable income. The season we were in the Championship, I was at Sunderland Uni and in a wonderful, loving relationship. In between getting tickets while I could for home games, I was away in Scotland, finding dodgy streams of Justin what's-his-tits on Century Radio and trying not to wake wor lass as Joey Barton scored a free kick against Plymouth. I remember where I was when Jose Enrique scored against Forest; standing in the Gallowgate, valiantly flicking the V's at the Forest fans in the upper tier. They had beat us in the autumn and we had fucking well come back and showed them that we were bouncing back up. Then, we came up, full of piss and wind and we beat Villa 6-nowt, Carroll was ripping the bollocks off everyone he faced and as this was going on, I was out 4 nights a week, getting rat arsed and enjoying my student life. Then, it happened. We TWATTED Sunderland 5-1 and that was it. I was buying trebles, shots, cocktails, the lot as the season went on and it just kept going from there. When Hughton was sacked, I didn't even believe it because I'd spent the 24 hours previous getting mortal with a group of students from Angola who fed me dodgy whiskey until 7 in the morning and the lady of the group kept trying to stir my knackers into life. Sadly for here, that was a fool's errand after the drink she plied me with. Anyway, Pardew came and things were alreet and then in 2011/12, we suddenly started looking decent. There was a mackem in my local pub who was saying things like "You know, it's all John Carver pulling the strings" and "That Ben Arfa, he's injury prone though, isn't he?" gigantic mackem bullshit aside, I was a 21 year old man who was watching my beautiful side give teams hidings. We'd go down to Blackburn and Ryan Taylor and Obertan would get our goals and I'd drink to that. We'd beat Man United 3-0 and I'd end up in The Gate, telling a lass my postcode so she could ring a taxi for us. We'd spend an entire Easter period unbeaten and I'd watch us win every game, getting more and more wrecked as time went on, barely denting my student loan. Cisse was scoring ridiculous goal after ridiculous goal, Pardew seemed like a decent bloke and every weekend was an exercise in celebratory joy. So, even though we won nowt and everything went south with Pardew soon after, that period, where I was a carefree student with money to burn and my team gave me 3 good seasons off the trot was the finest time I can remember. Aye, we won nowt and really, fifth in isolation means nothing but at the time, it felt like the dawn of a brand new Newcastle. I realise now it was the drink but fuck me, Hatem, Ba and Cisse up front. Cabaye free kicks. Shola bicycle kicks, Nolan hat tricks, Peter Lovenkrands winning me £150, I'll look back on it all fondly. Aye, we never got close to winning the league and aye, a lot of it is "look at this student waller not working" but fuck me, what a time to be a lazy scruff and what a time to watch us right some bastard wrongs.

Absolutely out-fucking-standing

'83-'84 as a young lad of ten/eleven was great even though I only got to the match once that year in what must have been our only home defeat v Shrewsbury. My favourite season is probably the '92-'93 promotion year under KK as I was then a carefree young adult and had just witnessed the chasm of the abyss we just managed to avoid by going down to the 3rd division. The shiny new PL was new and sky were bullshitting it up just for a change. The biggest gate in England on the the opening day of the super duper sky sponsored greedy bastards league was in the division below at St. James' Park where 28,000 people, (minus the flask and blanket Brigade), got absolutely drenched in the roofless terraces to watch a side who'd just avoided relegation to the third tier take on Southend Utd. It only took a few games to realise this was the start of something special, I'd never seen us play like this before and it was an absolute pleasure. The end of the back pass to the keeper rule came into effect and it suited our game down to a tee where others struggled to cope and panicked when put under pressure at the back. The only downside to this season was near the backend of it I was made redundant and had to curtail my away games but I managed to get to some great games that year, beating PL Boro away 3-1 in the cup with for once a big following thanks to cup ticket allocation rules, (Ayresome Park wasn't a happy hunting ground at the time), Roker Park and the start of a great winning record down there thanks to Liam O'Brien, Derby away was our first away game and great revenge for our 4-1 reverse only a couple months ago, they moved us from behind the goal to the side of the pitch between games but the atmosphere was still electric and the same thing happened with those Derby kids playing football getting chased after the game. Had some great away days around this period including three of us staying in Sidcup for the Charlton game played at Upton Park. We met a few kids from there on holiday and stayed with the Spurs fan out of them, the rest were Charlton, a 3-1 win, thousands down there, the poor Charlton kids desperately taking us to different 'Charlton' bars only to see each one stowed off with Pissed, loud singing black & whites and back in Sidcup later on that night to give the unsuspecting female population the entire back catalogue of Sid the Sexist quotes, eg. in a chinkies Chinese at the end of the night to lasses wanting to hear our accent, 'Do you like Chinese food, then, love?", "Yeah I lahve it", "Whey come an chow mien then.". "They're nice ear rings pet, do you like jewelry then?" "Yeah". "Well tek a look at this, it's a fucking Gem." etc, etc. (Would've got you a slap in the Toon, but err, didn't down there that night). ;)

The night at Grimsby where thousands managed to get in and we probably outnumbered the home fans was a fitting way to round the season off as champs and get us promoted, David Kelly slotting in the winner almost a year after he scored the late winner v Pompey to give us hope of staying up. Fantastic season and quite funny seeing the states of our large following taking over places like Peterborough which was another great day out in the sun.

Edited by Howmanheyman

By the way, not sure if it was the season before promotion, but at Grimsby it was nearing kick off and another big following was making its way from the bars to the turnstiles apart from one mortal looking bloke with a tache who was singing Newcastle songs but heading the opposite way, he just wouldn't have it when he was told he was going the wrong way and he continued on his way shaking hands with people and smiling and waving. :lol:

After reading that Ayatollah Hermoine post I think I'll have a can. It kicks off in a couple of hours ffs!!! :panic:

Seriously though Jordan, that's class :up:

Completely forgot about that as I'd had a drink last night. I suppose that's keeping with the theme of the piece.

By the way, not sure if it was the season before promotion, but at Grimsby it was nearing kick off and another big following was making its way from the bars to the turnstiles apart from one mortal looking bloke with a tache who was singing Newcastle songs but heading the opposite way, he just wouldn't have it when he was told he was going the wrong way and he continued on his way shaking hands with people and smiling and waving. :lol:

:lol: class. I love looking at my dad's photos from his away days in the 80s just for the clip of the taches sported by him and his mates. Toon tops tucked into jeans and all sorts :lol: Stylish buggers.

Kudos to Ayatolloh's season as well. There was no young kids, bright lights novelty about our first season back up as we'd only been away for a season, however the twatting of Villa and the Mackems were both a bit special and a couple of wrongs were made very right those days. (Even better being near both set of fans in L7). :)

:good:

For me it was 2001-02, simply because it was the 1st season I had a seat beside my Dad. Didn't know he was getting one, so when I turn up on the 1st home game against the mackems of all people, I get to my seat and boom there's my Dad. Mental.

The results helped, of course, but it was as much to do with getting to share it with my Dad as it was anything else.

:good:

For me it was 2001-02, simply because it was the 1st season I had a seat beside my Dad. Didn't know he was getting one, so when I turn up on the 1st home game against the mackems of all people, I get to my seat and boom there's my Dad. Mental.

The results helped, of course, but it was as much to do with getting to share it with my Dad as it was anything else.

Same season for the same reason. I only shared the ticket, with my dad's best mate's daughter, but a couple of seasons later she went away to uni and I took over it full time. Because we shared it our dads had worked out a points sort of system for sharing the games out fairly, I missed out on the mackems but got the 4-3 against Man U a few weeks later which is still one of my favourite matches that I've been to. I felt so proud standing out there as a season ticket holder amongst my dad and all his schoolfriends. :lol:

Also loved the Championship season, because it was fun to constantly dick on rubbish teams and I only lived 5 minutes away from SJP so it was excessively cheap to sink a few drinks beforehand.