The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, it was sad to see such a pale imitation the next time he toured there. Desperate move by the selectors.

We have two bowlers now in wood and archer, who look like they could do serious damage down under. We should wrap Wood up in cotton wool because the likes of Woakes and Curran could struggle in Aussie conditions 

21 hours ago, Alex said:

Aye, a tad hypocritical :lol: not least given none of them would’ve walked. Broad didn’t even edge it to slip like they made out. He edged it and it deflected off the keeper’s gloves to slip. Also, wasn’t there DRS in that series but Clarke kept using them up with speculative reviews? 

I think it was more a case that the 3rd umpire decided there was insufficient evidence to change the decision.  It was down to the wording of the DRS review system at the time, even though it was absolutely clear.

I also remember, during an ODI in Australia one time, Mr Cricket saying "I don't walk, mate".  

"Do as I say, not as I do" :aussie:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

I think it was more a case that the 3rd umpire decided there was insufficient evidence to change the decision.  It was down to the wording of the DRS review system at the time, even though it was absolutely clear.

I also remember, during an ODI in Australia one time, Mr Cricket saying "I don't walk, mate".  

"Do as I say, not as I do" :aussie:

In the first test, according to Graeme Swann at least, for the winning wicket, Brad Haddin admitted to knowing he’d got a thin edge and reviewed it anyway hoping  there was nothing in hotspot. Knowing hotspot wasn’t 100% reliable. Not that I blame Haddin but I don’t see how that’s much different 

England will shit themselves again when they play the Aussies over the winter.If Broad and Anderson are selected ,when the wickets aren’t coming and the Aussies are in total control,not for the first time they’ll look like they’d rather be back in the UK than representing their country.

vaughan nailed it. we go to pieces if we bowl first and don't skittle them out cheaply. fair play to pakistan though. quality., balanced seam attack and two leggies 

Was thinking about Buttler, who has had a mare with the gloves, and there’s even an argument Foakes would be a better batsman in the longer form of the game (as his short test career and his first class record suggests). However, Buttler was picked for his swashbuckling style and he’s rarely been allowed to play his normal by having to come in with the score at 100-5 or similar. 

Is Manchester some kind of Truman show situation where no matter what’s going on in the rest of the world they can flick a switch and it rains!?

Absolute graft for Buttler/Pope this morning.

Woakes at 7 :lol: 

I'm not at all convinced by the balance of this side with Woakes batting so high.  It's even more of a worry when you look at Woakes batting over the last year or so.  Not to mention the batting of the captain recently.

These look like they have a really good attack but we seem to be having to work really hard against whoever we come up against at the moment even when we are putting a decent score together.

I absolutely love watching Broad & to a lesser degree Archer bat mind. :lol: 

I mean Broad can actually bat at times but Archer just goes for a slog 80% of the time.

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

I'm not at all convinced by the balance of this side with Woakes batting so high.  It's even more of a worry when you look at Woakes batting over the last year or so.  Not to mention the batting of the captain recently.

These look like they have a really good attack but we seem to be having to work really hard against whoever we come up against at the moment even when we are putting a decent score together.

Woakes is definitely not a test no. 7 on current form. 

Good fight by the bowlers but the test has gone. They’ve already more than enough runs. 

Agree with those who questioned the balance of the side. Do you need four front like seamers as well as stokes? Buttler should come in at 7 and play his natural game but he can’t go all summer without making a score with Foakes waiting in the wings - you can’t see he doesn’t deserve another chance. 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Aye, you never know mind but we’ll need openers to keep there heads and not fuck up 

Two substantial innings needed really. Doable but Pakistan definitely the favourites

59 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Good fight by the bowlers but the test has gone. They’ve already more than enough runs. 

Agree with those who questioned the balance of the side. Do you need four front like seamers as well as stokes? Buttler should come in at 7 and play his natural game but he can’t go all summer without making a score with Foakes waiting in the wings - you can’t see he doesn’t deserve another chance. 

Stokes was picked as a batsman only originally for this test but has ended up bowling in the second innings. Agree with you if he can bowl but there was clearly some concern he wouldn’t be able to. Hard to say which bowler of the other pace bowlers you’d leave out though. All of them have amazing figures in England recently. On top of that I always feel like you should try and get Curran in the team as he seems to make things happen and is such a good all round cricketer 

Edited by Alex

Left arm option too. We are spoiled for choice in the seam bowling department, unlike the batting side. The search for a quality front line spinner continues too. Bess doesn’t seem to have earned his captain’s trust as of yet