The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From the beeb TMs thingy:

Carberry and Bell to open, Monty at 3, the rest can pick their numbers out of a hat" :lol:

Monty showed more halls than the middle order, that's for sure. Some careers on the line here, Prior, Pietersen etc..quite possibly the captain too and as Ken says Flower.

2-0 ladies and gents. Fortunate for England that they'll have an extra half day to prepare for the WACA wicket. Practicing their ducking and weaving should be top priority. Extra padding and abundant supplies of paracetamol will be a must as well. Jajajajaja

That's the series over. England may about to go through a transition similar to Australia after the side with warne and McGrath broke up.

We've consistently been one of the top three sides in the world in recent years but a lot of players the wrong side of 30 with excellent averages are struggling to recapture old form with the bat. A few could be playing for their careers in the next couple of games.

Oh Ken. You and your recently rediscovered great big Australian mouth. :razz:

Well it has to be said that I have waited very patiently waited for thall this to happen. Back in my comfort zone now mate ;)

Tim Bresnan looking like he was going to explode after a simple catch was botched by Carberry and Root. I almost feel for him. What a magnificent day of cricket, time to go out for some tea. :thumbsup:

Sporting a nice little hangover today after yesterday's efforts - I had almost forgotten how bad they can be - but I bet it isn't half as bad as some of those crazy Pommy bastids sitting in that blazing sun yesterday without a hat on, oblivious to the fact that they were slow-cooking their brains and numbed by the 10-15 lagers they had during the day. I cringed every time the camera panned to them. What the fuck were they thinking?!? Obviously not very much.

Anyway, looking forward to watch Mitchell Johnson cause a bit of bother with ball in hand today. Should be a good'n...

Yeah 38 overs without a wicket is such a reign of terror. :ermm:

Pitching the ball up was the tactic deployed by the Aussies today, the end of Australia's innings showed that the ball swung and looked to cause some problems for the batsmen, albeit against the tailenders. If England had done this earlier instead of bowling short rubbish which was a waste of energy perhaps they could or would have bowled Australia out with a hundred less on the scoreboard against them- but of course speaking restrospectively is easy to do.

It (pitching up) didn't work for the Aussie bowlers, besides for Shane Watson who bowls at around 130k an hour, but you can't knock them for trying something which wasn't expected. Then they opted for a period of containment which put pressure back on the English batsmen.Wickets fell after that. Then the short balls started to come, and Bell in particular looked a bit frazzled copping one in the heart. The new ball is due after about 15 overs tomorrow and big cracks are starting to appear on the wicket . Expect a barrage of head higher's before the new ball is taken.

England have looked up for this game, fair play to them, there best performance on tour by far up 'til this point. They need to be more attack minded though when batting and be more intelligent when bowling, some of the field positions have been pathetic schoolboy errors. Jimmy Anderson could come into his own here though with his ability to swing the ball, but again he tactics displayed by the English has been woeful on this tour. No excuses as well considering most have been here before and done a job.

What continues to baffle and frustrate in equal measure is just how many of our top batsmen keep gifting their wickets. Test cricket is about making them get you out, not getting yourself out. Cook and Peitersen, I'm sorry, just not good enough. These are players with proven track records but they've both been way off their best for the majority of the year. You need your best batters in nick to give your bowlers something to go for. 180/2 and it's a totally different game. Some hard work ahead needed to make a contest of this. Need to bat all day tomorrow, which is unlikely given the form our middle order and tail have been in on this tour.

This side has been very successful for the last few years but all good things come to and end. I can see a rebuilding job on the cards here. Too many players with big reputations under performing for too long. Flower resigning on a low too, which is a shame, because he's done an excellent job in the main.