The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Australia's batting is currently fucked imo.

Rogers is a journeyman and at 36 isn't the future. Warner is more of a one day batsman. Khawaja has failed consistently and needs to go away and harden up. Hughes has terrible technique and no patience. Clarke is 32 and buckling under the strain of the captaincy and is just about the only class batsman they have. Smith has improved his technique but consistently gets out to rash shots. Watson is also 32 and has acquired a dodgy technique that sees him LBW every innings now. Haddin is 36 and misfiring and must be considering retirement.

Their best batsman so far has been Rogers, a mediocre try hard in the twilight of his career. If Clarke fails (as he has a lot) then everyone else folds. The middle order has been routinely found out for poor technique and lack of stickability. The Aussies have a very good batting tail and this has masked the poor performance by the top order in 3 out of 4 tests imo.

Worst of all, many of the team have known nothing but failure against England. Lehmann has instilled some self belief and fighting spirit but the talent isn't there presently. The bowling attack's decent but Harris is unreliable as a spearhead because he's injury prone.....which is unsurprising when you see how heavy on his feet he is.

I don't know if they have decent players coming through. But senior players are ageing badly and the likes of Hughes, Watson, Khawaja, Smith and Argar don't seem up to it. They may need to jettison a load of the current lot and promote Aussie A players that don't have the stink of failure about them.

One thing I will say is that Clarke has been an outstanding captain. I've been hugely impressed with how he has marshalled his troops and conducted himself with dignity. He's been a great credit to the Aussies imo.

I see what you're getting at, but That's a bit strong for the captain of a team who's staring down the barrel of 4-0.

Anyway, I go to on average a couple of days of test cricket a year but Monday was up there with the best. Not only was the cricket outstanding and the drama - the sun breaking out to let Broad back on to finish it off, but I managed to get the England team to sign a shirt for a critically ill cricket fan on my ICU. Top, top day all round!

Well that was as dull a day's play as you're ever going to see. I don't get why England didn't bat more positively. The series is already in the bag - who cares if we lose a dead rubber? Some friends of mine were there today. Feel sorry for them.

Real shame it couldnt have got to the finish. After all the whining from the Aussies about time wasting as well. :lol:

Rule needs to be changed, the umpires hands are tied - its the ICC that should get the blame. Cricket definitely knows how to shoot itself in the foot though, Jesus.

What a farce :lol:

Not the umpire's fault though. The ICC need to fix this stupid law or test match cricket will continue to lose viewers. Game poised like that then taking them off with 4 overs to go. Couldn't make it uo

A lot of talk about momentum. The force is back with England going into the tour down under.

And for those booing Clarke, England are just as guilty of gamesmanship in this series with slowing the fame down and serving up poor over rates. They'd have done exactly the same as the aussies if the situation was the other way round.

I don't think Clarke is particularly worthy of praise or damnation. He set up the finish with the declaration, but that was in desperation to avoid being the first Aussie captain to return without a win rather than any sporting gesture. And while it's not nice to see him moaning at umpires, he had nothing to gain from staying out there and it looked odds on for 4-0. And it was quite dark. Some of the Aussie fielders couldn't pick the ball out.

But when all's said and done it's a spectator sport and as it wasn't frankly dangerous the show should have gone on.

• 4 weeks later...