Terrorism

aimaad22

3 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

BREAKING:

Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Bahrain cut all ties with Qatar. Qatari citizens have 14 days to leave counties. Saudis shut down sea, air, & land crossings.

FIFA statement:

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

There'd be 120k extra guns in the country immediately by arming all of our officers. How long 'til one 'falls into the wrong hands'?

Ok so you're actually (I think) talking at crossed purposes. ewerk's contention was that gun access is severely restricted and that the police would have an immediate advantage. You're agreeing that it is severely restricted, but that giving officers guns increases the risk of terrorists getting hold of them.

Presumably you think the risk of that happening is higher, even if less likely, (measured in potential lives lost) than if the police can't quickly incapacitate a maniac with a knife. I mean, we can't say for sure but I can see the logic there.

Edited by Rayvin

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Ok so you're actually (I think) talking at crossed purposes. ewerk's contention was that gun access is severely restricted and that the police would have an immediate advantage. You're agreeing that it is severely restricted, but that giving officers guns increases the risk of terrorists getting hold of them.

Presumably you think the risk of that happening is higher, even if less likely, (measured in potential lives lost) than if the police can't quickly incapacitate a maniac with a knife. I mean, we can't say for sure but I can see the logic there.

My argument is more that it'd be completely pointless in a terrorist situation. The maniac with a knife scenario would manifest itself in a different way because terrorists would adapt. Whether that means trying to get a gun, or using a bigger vehicle to drive into crowds or whatever. Terrorists have attacked countries that arm their police and fatalities have been just as high or higher than the attacks here.

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

My argument is more that it'd be completely pointless in a terrorist situation. The maniac with a knife scenario would manifest itself in a different way because terrorists would adapt. Whether that means trying to get a gun, or using a bigger vehicle to drive into crowds or whatever. Terrorists have attacked countries that arm their police and fatalities have been just as high or higher than the attacks here.

Fair point.

Well, I can see both sides of this so I guess I'll head back over to the GE thread :lol:

Sky:

"Large concrete barriers have been installed overnight at Waterloo, Lambeth, and Westminster bridges."

"It has been reported that London's municipal governing body, City of London Corporation (COLC), ruled out installing anti-terror bollards in the London Bridge area just 24 hours before the attack."

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

Another pointless waste of time unless you put them everywhere

Cressida Dick shares your opinion on armed offices incidentally, so it doesn't look like they're coming in.

An American bystander was struck in the head, by a stray bullet fired by police, as he stood near a window inside the Wheatsheaf pub. 

Fabio Lamas, who works at the pub.

"I got people to start evacuating inside from our little garden that we have ... and got people to come into the bar and to go into toilets, hide under tables and hide in our cellar where we keep all our stock," the 20-year-old recalled. "Then I heard shooting and I saw an American guy get shot in the head."

"He was bleeding through his eye. I went to get the first-aid kit and I started speaking to his friends and to try and calm them down."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/london-bridge-attack/london-bridge-attack-american-hit-head-police-bullet-witness-says-n768186

If we learned anything from Batman it's "escalation".

Jim Gordon: What about escalation?
Batman: Escalation?
Jim Gordon: We start carrying semi-automatics, they buy automatics. We start wearing Kevlar, they buy armor piercing rounds.

Muslim Council of Britain encouraging imams not to give the Islamic equivalent of 'last rites' to the attackers. Fair play to them, they're taking a very firm stance on this.

Alongside our friends and neighbours, we mourn this attack on our home, society and people and feel pain for the suffering of the victims and their families. We pray to God that the perpetrators be judged in accordance with the gravity of their crimes in the hereafter. Their acts and wilful dismissal of our religious principles alienates them from any association with our community for whom the inviolability of every human life is the founding principle.

Consequently, and in light of other such ethical principles which are quintessential to Islam, we will not perform the traditional Islamic funeral prayer for the perpetrators and we also urge fellow imams and religious authorities to withdraw such a privilege. This is because such indefensible actions are completely at odds with the lofty teachings of Islam.

• Like 1