Shearer's latest thought's on Ashley.

trooper

Alan Shearer has fired another broadside at Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley and suggested he might have told Alan Pardew to leave for Crystal Palace.

In a wide-ranging interview with the BBC, Shearer voiced his frustrations with the clubs FA Cup policy and also questioned whether United would get the kind of high-profile candidates the Newcastle job would usually attract.

Asked whether Ashleys move for Rangers was a potential way out for him at Newcastle, Shearer said he was in the dark.

But he said a small part of me thinks he might have spoken to Pardew about his future intentions.

Here is what he had to say on key topics surrounding the Magpies direction.

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley

ON ASHLEYS INTENTIONS:

I dont know (what they are) because he never tells us anything.

He doesnt speak to anyone, but theres a small part of me that thinks he might have given Alan Pardew a nod.

It did make me laugh when I heard people saying that Alan wouldnt leave Newcastle to go to Crystal Palace.

Theres a million reasons why Alan would leave Newcastle to go to Crystal Palace hed be on a better salary at a football club where the fans would want him, he would buy and sell the players he wanted.

Theres three or four very, very good reasons to start with.

Thats where Newcastle are as a football club Im afraid. Not good news but were used to that.

2014 Getty Images

John Carver

ON THE NEWCASTLE HEAD COACH JOB:

I would think that Newcastle have had a million calls already for that job. Whether they have had a million calls from top managers, Im not quite sure.

John Carver already said it after the game the position has changed. Its now a head coach, and the guy who goes in there has to understand hes not picking to buy the players and hes not deciding which players will be sold.

Newcastle over the last few years have also sold their best players, and when you constantly do that Im afraid the inevitable will happen youre not going to win as many football matches as you should or you want.

ON NEWCASTLE AND THE FA CUP:

What they have constantly done in this competition is leave their best players out, which tells its own story.

Thats what Newcastle is at this moment in time, I cant tell you anything different that you dont already know.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depressing when people paid for their expertise haven't a fucking clue what they're talking about so roll out soundbites and cliches. More so when it's a legend of the club you love.

Good thing I dont get the BBC then. Still have a pretty awesome image of Big Al in my head :)

Is he that bad as a pundit generally?

He's terrible, rarely offers any insight what so ever. Just phoning it in, tbh

I don't begrudge him that at all :lol: it's nice to have at least one pundit rooting for us, even if he's utterly rubbish. If it wasn't him it'd be some washed up ex-Liverpool star...

Gary Neville is alreet.

You can add Stan Collymore and the other TalkSport chumps to your list.

Still doesn't make Shearer any good. He's the master at stating the obvious.

Jenas has been surprisingly good on motd, I think.

Jenas has had some alright stuff to say about us too when I've seen him on MOTD.

Not really the point though. I just want a pundit to tell it how it is, not jumping on a bandwagon without any knowledge, or trying not to offend an old mate

Not really the point though. I just want a pundit to tell it how it is, not jumping on a bandwagon without any knowledge, or trying not to offend an old mate

Aye you can pretty much put most pundits into one of those two camps. Mick Quinn was slating Ian Wright in the chronicle yesterday for saying what a great job Pardew had done and basically said Wright's comments were an old pals act.

Depressing when people paid for their expertise haven't a fucking clue what they're talking about so roll out soundbites and cliches. More so when it's a legend of the club you love.

Can somebody please ask The Fish to elaborate. I don't think Shearer says anything clueless here.

I assume "Wrighty" played with Pardew at the Palace?

Aye, same era. Both played in that Cup Final era side (Wright wasn't fully fit for the final and came on as sub and scored a couple iirc). They had a canny side back then. Andy Thorn played for them who you may remember (we signed him from Wimbledon the same time we signed Beasant I think).

I don't need pundits telling me what i've just seen.The big mouth pundits ( Collymore,Wright,Savage etc ) look to be more controversial than honest.

Actually, I think you'd benefit from it.

Aye, same era. Both played in that Cup Final era side (Wright wasn't fully fit for the final and came on as sub and scored a couple iirc). They had a canny side back then. Andy Thorn played for them who you may remember (we signed him from Wimbledon the same time we signed Beasant I think).

Andy Thorn didn't play for us for long. The other name that stands out in connection with us is John Salako, who iirc we tried to sign back in the entertainers era.

Thought Shearer was decent during the World Cup.

Don't think the MOTD format is well geared towards in depth analysis, your brief is just to quickly point out any defensive errors/clever movement on the goals and say whether you agree with the ref over a slow-mo of the major controversies, then move on to the next game.

Think Neville is great but I doubt he would be doing that much different if he were on MOTD either.

Thought Shearer was decent during the World Cup.

Don't think the MOTD format is well geared towards in depth analysis, your brief is just to quickly point out any defensive errors/clever movement on the goals and say whether you agree with the ref over a slow-mo of the major controversies, then move on to the next game.

Think Neville is great but I doubt he would be doing that much different if he were on MOTD either.

Aye, Lineker went into some detail on Twitter a while ago about how the pundits prep for MOTD, they basically watch one full match live each during the afternoon to do their segment on, the rest are sometimes seen for the first time during the actual recording iirc.

Not that easy to go into major depth on a match based just on MOTDs highlights