NUFC V Stoke City

Anorthernsoul

Thought Janmaat was poor yesterday like. Not as bad as Sissoko, Colo or Williamson but I wasn't impressed with him at all.

Can't really say anything positive about anyone other than Cabella, Perez or Colback anyway though.

Comparison of him and Haidara...

23qxcad.png

Haidara did plenty well defensively. Despite failing with 3 clearances in dangerous areas and his only aerial duel in the area, he did perform 4 succesful clearances and won 3 tackles at the back. Going forward he offered nothing. He has barely any passes in the final third and his one ball into the box was a failed one.

257n4w3.png

Janmaat hardly got a thing right defensively. One clearance, one tackle, one interception. Otherwise he fouled in a dangerous area and failed in some clearances and most of his aerial duels across the park. His failed passes are mostly in the opposition half though (unlike Haidara) and none are exactly sideways, only one is close to sideways. At least he succeeded with a couple of passes into the box too.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparison of him and Haidara...

23qxcad.png

Haidara did plenty well defensively. Despite failing with 3 clearances in dangerous areas and his only aerial duel in the area, he did perform 4 succesful clearances and won 3 tackles at the back. Going forward he offered nothing. He has barely any passes in the final third and his one ball into the box was a failed one.

257n4w3.png

Janmaat hardly got a thing right defensively. One clearance, one tackle, one interception. Otherwise he fouled in a dangerous area and failed in some clearances and most of his aerial duels across the park. His failed passes are mostly in the opposition half though (unlike Haidara) and none are exactly sideways, only one is close to sideways. At least he succeeded with a couple of passes into the box too.

Don't think Haidara was great yesterday either although I thought he was a bit better than Janmaat. As you've suggested, he was better than Janmaat defensively but offered very little going forward. I'm in too minds as what was more important yesterday. I'm possibly on the side that at home to Stoke you want to see your fullbacks attacking more. Mind you, we didn't seem to be playing with anyone in front of Janmaat on the right whereas we had Sammy (addmittedly not doing much at all) on the left.

A defender could be out of position because he was overlapping and a poor ball is played short and away goes his man.That's football and it happens but what riles me is when a defender is in position and through cowardice he doesn't attempt to win the ball,as in Janmaat against Stoke,as in Krul shitting his pants because he never not kept the defence away from the 6 yard box for free kicks.I've mentioned a number of times about Janmaat turning his back when his man is putting centres in.,turning his back when an opposition player is having a shot.This is clearly a massive weakness in a defender yet it continues to happen.I counted 4 freekicks in the first half which landed on our 6 yard line with krul shitting himself 3 yards but fortunately we won the headers.This policy will result in further goals conceded at worst this season when it could be stopped by a simple order from Krul to hold the line.This of course would mean Krul would need to get away from HIS 3 yard line and show a bit bravery.Whist Wilkinson continues to receive criticism both Janmaat and Krul continue to get off lightly from the majority on here.

A defender could be out of position because he was overlapping and a poor ball is played short and away goes his man.That's football and it happens but what riles me is when a defender is in position and through cowardice he doesn't attempt to win the ball,as in Janmaat against Stoke,as in Krul shitting his pants because he never not kept the defence away from the 6 yard box for free kicks.I've mentioned a number of times about Janmaat turning his back when his man is putting centres in.,turning his back when an opposition player is having a shot.This is clearly a massive weakness in a defender yet it continues to happen.I counted 4 freekicks in the first half which landed on our 6 yard line with krul shitting himself 3 yards but fortunately we won the headers.This policy will result in further goals conceded at worst this season when it could be stopped by a simple order from Krul to hold the line.This of course would mean Krul would need to get away from HIS 3 yard line and show a bit bravery.Whist Wilkinson continues to receive criticism both Janmaat and Krul continue to get off lightly from the majority on here.

I've never seen Wilkinson receive criticism.

Both Krul and Janmaat are far superior footballers to Williamson, and they both regularly perform to a higher standard than he does/can. This is why you don't see as much criticism of them. You do see criticism of them, but it's not as often, because they're not as often the weak link.

You seem to ignore the big picture and focus, instead, on the momentary lapse in concentration/mistakes. Williamson consistently brings pressure upon us by failing to find a man with his long balls forward, by failing to be in the correct position defensively and/or failing to properly deal with his attacker. Instead of note these, you'll say Janmaat ducked out of a challenge, or whatever, because your bias blinds you.

I am aware of the big picture and focus but cowardice from a couple of players are causing us to concede goals,at worst,and confusion/panic at best.In earlier posts i have praised Janmaat for his attacking ability,however,i prefer a defender to be a good defender first,and an good overlapping fulback second.

Is there a reason why you haven't commented on the cowardice shown by both Krul and Janmaat at the weekend or are they above criticism.You did take the opportunity to criticise Wikinson,as many do.Are you biased towards Janmaat and Krul or just blind.

I am aware of the big picture and focus but cowardice from a couple of players are causing us to concede goals,at worst,and confusion/panic at best.In earlier posts i have praised Janmaat for his attacking ability,however,i prefer a defender to be a good defender first,and an good overlapping fulback second.

Is there a reason why you haven't commented on the cowardice shown by both Krul and Janmaat at the weekend or are they above criticism.You did take the opportunity to criticise Wikinson,as many do.Are you biased towards Janmaat and Krul or just blind.

I've criticised both Krul and Janmaat. I have never, in my life, criticised Wilkinson's performances for Newcastle United.

But no comment on the cowardice.

Because it's a nonsense thing to focus upon. You say you want a defender to be good at defending first and foremost, that's fair, that's reasonable, but why would you criticise Janmaat, before Coloccini, Haidara, or Williamson? Janmaat has more tackles per game than any of them, he has the 2nd highest number of interceptions!

You don't look for a defender to be good at defending, you look for a defender to be a lumbering oaf who'll head butt a goal post. Well, I look for a defender who's competent and offers more to the team than simple* bravery.

*both meanings

Wilkinson has been utterly invisible all season and you're accusing Janmaat of cowardice?

Too right. Wilkinson goes missing every single game, yet somehow essembeeofsunderland can't see it.