Newcastle United V Arsenal // St James Park // 12.45 KO

Anorthernsoul

This will be another tough game, we need to start the game better than OT otherwise we could find ourselves trailing before the half hour. They play some cracking football, Sanchez is very difficult to mark and Giroud loves playing against us. Need to be solid, hard one to call dropping Mbemba but Janmatt is the full back so Mcclaren probably will. I'd bring Thauvin in for Obertan, I'd even bring Tiote in for Colback. We weren't strong enough in the middle at OT, and Anita is better than Colback. I'd take another draw but hopefully we give it a good go for the win as we have the attacking capacity to give them all sorts of problems.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/28/newcastle-united-arsenal-match-preview

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted this'll be a hard game but that opening post doesn't seem as bleak as usual. It sounds like we have options for one thing.

I think we'll play valiantly. Might scrape a draw. Probably lose.

A win would be a great lift though.

Edited by Rayvin

This will be another tough game, we need to start the game better than OT otherwise we could find ourselves trailing before the half hour. They play some cracking football, Sanchez is very difficult to mark and Giroud loves playing against us. Need to be solid, hard one to call dropping Mbemba but Janmatt is the full back so Mcclaren probably will. I'd bring Thauvin in for Obertan, I'd even bring Tiote in for Colback. We weren't strong enough in the middle at OT, and Anita is better than Colback. I'd take another draw but hopefully we give it a good go for the win as we have the attacking capacity to give them all sorts of problems.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/28/newcastle-united-arsenal-match-preview

You suggesting sticking with Taylor ahead of Mbemba?

You suggesting sticking with Taylor ahead of Mbemba?

Hate to say it but both Taylor and Colo had a great game last week, best we've seen at centre back for a long while IMO. You'd have to go with them again this week purely on that performance.

I wouldn't put Tiote in over Colback, despite how midrange he is. I'd rather they both didn't play, Tiote will be likely to get sent off when he gets skinned over and over.

Agree with ANS on the defense, but it all depends what head Colo/Wurzel puts on for the day.

I really hope for a result here, suddenly it's looking like we have the potential for a good team again, but it's a big ask against a strong Arsenal side.

Edited by scoobos

I think it's the front four where the dilemma is.

Some good creative football played midweek even if they were lesser opposition.

Think McLarens got his work cut out finding our best 11.

It's not obvious as it sometimes has been of late.

Hate to say it but both Taylor and Colo had a great game last week, best we've seen at centre back for a long while IMO. You'd have to go with them again this week purely on that performance.

One good performance overrules years of inconsistency and clownery? When we know both Janmaat and Mbemba are overall much better players there's no point keeping them out.

Taylor is undermined by his yearly injury and aptitude for being an arse. But actually, he's really not that bad. He's fucking brave if nothing else.

I recall the season we came 5th, he and Colo were fucking amazing up until Taylor got injured.

I think people on here can be a bit harsh about Taylor, especially when we still have Williamson in the ranks.

Ordinarily I would drop Taylor and play Mbemba. However we need points on the board and on merit Colo and Taylor should be picked. Obviously Janmaat at RB.

Taylor however has a year left on his contract- who knows if he will be here next season. The Colo / Mbemba partnership should be priority.

Colback IMO is way overrated. A strong Tiote is far better. I would start with Perez Sissoko Gini Anita Thauvin. Looney Serb up front.

Ordinarily I would drop Taylor and play Mbemba. However we need points on the board and on merit Colo and Taylor should be picked. Obviously Janmaat at RB.

Taylor however has a year left on his contract- who knows if he will be here next season. The Colo / Mbemba partnership should be priority.

Colback IMO is way overrated. A strong Tiote is far better. I would start with Perez Sissoko Gini Anita Thauvin. Looney Serb up front.

Not sure if I see Colo here beyond next year really... We need Mbemba to become a better version of Colo, and then to carry Taylor.

Not sure if I see Colo here beyond next year really... We need Mbemba to become a better version of Colo, and then to carry Taylor.

I would like to think that next season we would have Mbemba + a new centre back partnership or hopefully in the next window even.

Taylor is prone to a big injury every season and a long lay off.

I would go with...............providing Sissoko is fit. If not then DeJong in his place.

Krul

Janmaat - Mbemba - Colo - Haidara

Thauvin - Gini - Sissoko - Aarons

Mitrovic - Perez

DeJong

Tayor

Anita

Colback

Tiote

Darlow

No way should Taylor start ahead of Mbemba.

Good job from Taylor last match but it's back to the bench for him. Let's not forget him not being injured, yet, is the only thing keeping Willo out of the match day squad.

Their side: Petr Cech; Hector Bellerin, Calum Chambers, Gabriel Paulista, Nacho Monreal; Francis Coquelin, Santi Cazorla; Aaron Ramsey, Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez; Olivier Giroud

I think its far from top drawer. I have a feeling we'll win 3-1 their defence is fucking shite today. I'm a deluded cunt, aye. 3-1 today though. I've seen us beat 100 better teams than this at SJP in my 30 years.

Thought their two proper centre halves were back? If that's the case, those two are definitely shaky if their match against Liverpool is owt to go by. You'd fancy Mitrovic to bully Chambers, for example. Still though, we're still susceptible to height and Giroud is canny enough in the air. We could really do with Tiote finding some form because we could do with his presence in the middle AKA we could do with him snapping Ozil and Sanchez' tendons in half. Reckon we'll lose but it'll be another spirited loss. With these out of the way, we can look at beating West Ham and Watford and get started properly.