Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

Aye he's being ridiculous. He's bringing it on himself as everyone is saying, he was given fair notice that he wasn't going to be in the team and the club were clearly willing to sell him for next to nowt (personally don't understand why you'd pay for a player of his level, I still refuse to believe random lads in the youth set up couldn't have managed the level he showed last season). 

Edited by Howay

:lol: Aye his superpower is basically always looking completely out of his depth. I genuinely have no idea how anyone in the sport would watch him and think "aye that's what we need in our side". I'm not even trying to be nasty about him here I just have no idea what he brings to a team, I thought he'd show something in the Championship but I don't even think that's his level. 

5 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Aye his superpower is basically always looking completely out of his depth. I genuinely have no idea how anyone in the sport would watch him and think "aye that's what we need in our side". I'm not even trying to be nasty about him here I just have no idea what he brings to a team, I thought he'd show something in the Championship but I don't even think that's his level. 

Reminds me of old Iron Mike Williamson. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rogerbarton said:

Wonder what happened behind-the-scenes with Colback. Can't purely be down to talent as he got way too much gametime last season. 

What happened was he wouldn't move to another club offering him much lower wages and he invented a cover story so as not to appear like he was only about the money.

51 minutes ago, Howay said:

I think it is his level but not necessarily in a side wanting to get promoted.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

What happened was he wouldn't move to another club offering him much lower wages and he invented a cover story so as not to appear like he was only about the money.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

24 minutes ago, adios said:

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I find it hard to blame him too much tbh. He went from being at one PL to another on a Bosman so he must be on at least 40k per week. I've seen 70k reported. Hull will have offered what? £10k a week, if that. Probably with an increase if they go up. Even other PL sides that were reputed to be interested would probably have offered about half what he's on and he's got two years left on his contract. Factor is in that he might have realised he's not good enough and that it's his last chance to earn anything like that and you can see it from his end. Massively frustrating that he's using up that sort of money which could be spent elsewhere but it's unrealistic to expect him just to go. I'd be offering him a year's wages just to go or something like that.

7 hours ago, Howay said:

Plenty of people believed him to be more than good enough for us.

He's spot on tbf. I think he'll walk at the end of the season, having done his job of winning promotion and keeping us up. The latter will be considered an achievement given the lack of investment. Why should he stay to work for a penny pinching owner like ours when he could walk into a club challenging at the right end of the table?

I think he'll wait for someone to meet the £6m release clause, since even if he goes in the summer, he'd still not be able to work for another year unless someone did.

That aside, if we can keep him until January, we might find that enough money is spent to make him think twice. Ashley gave McClaren £80m after all. I'm sure if that sort of money had been wielded over the summer, Rafa would have had no problems with it.

:lol:

What the fuck?

Here comes the patented Ashley 8 year contract.

It's a good idea actually, if they can manage it. Kills off speculation about his departure, gives Rafa the chance to come back to the table and make absolute demands on the club, presumably after having learned how specific he has to be to tie down Ashley, and is an opportunity to re-forge the relationship.

On the other hand, it could be the club trying to position themselves as the good guys in the inevitable fallout when he does go.