Yes Gemmill...

catmag

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Friends used to be a part of essential Friday night viewing,

TOTP, Bottom, Friends, The Word, TFI, Red Dwarf, Eurotrash, fantasy league. No doubt many others I’m missing,

What a time to be alive. 

IMG_20231029_202356.jpg

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Friends used to be a part of essential Friday night viewing,

TOTP, Bottom, Friends, The Word, TFI, Red Dwarf, Eurotrash, fantasy league. No doubt many others I’m missing,

What a time to be alive. 

Funny that as fondly I remember most of those shows they haven't aged well at all bar maybe Bottom and Red Dwarf.

And any mention of The Word always reminds me of that classic Paul Calf line: "nowt worse than being sat on a flight with Terry Christian sat on one side of you..........and another Terry Christian sat on the other side."

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Funny that as fondly I remember most of those shows they haven't aged well at all bar maybe Bottom and Red Dwarf.

And any mention of The Word always reminds me of that classic Paul Calf line: "nowt worse than being sat on a flight with Terry Christian sat on one side of you..........and another Terry Christian sat on the other side."

Time to shine here.

My next door neighbour is Steve Coogans brother, Brendan. They don’t get on and I didn’t even realise until a mate told me. He was the first host of top gear, and lost his job cos he got caught drink driving. 

28 minutes ago, strawb said:

Time to shine here.

My next door neighbour is Steve Coogans brother, Brendan. They don’t get on and I didn’t even realise until a mate told me. He was the first host of top gear, and lost his job cos he got caught drink driving. 

I've just watched The Reckoning, and I've realised that Coogans characters stray into Saville territory more than I've ever realised before. Sometimes I could see clear Partridge in his Saville imitation whilst remaining true to the sexualised monster he was imitating. 

Heard the drink driving and coke stories about Coogan many times over and agree with Chaser that there was something incredibly uncomfortably Partridge about his Saville performance.

Weirdly found that all less surprising than learning him and Courtney Love were an item at some point about 20 years ago. 

10 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Weirdly found that all less surprising than learning him and Courtney Love were an item at some point about 20 years ago. 

Seriously, who hasn't Courtney fucked tbh?

Edited by sammynb
  • Haha 1

I thought TOTP was on a Thursday. Did it move to a Friday? Also, I’m of an age where I would’ve usually been out in a Friday night in the mid/late 90s. I do remember The Word and Eurotrash though. TFI and Fantasy Football were a bit different to anything that had been on tv back then. Although the former has been done to death now by the likes of Ant and Dec. The latter benefited from the massive boom in football. 
Btw, the other Coogan brother was the singer in The Mock Turtles iirc. 
And I saw Steve Coogan live at the City Hall about 15 years ago. I still like Partridge but it was so bad I didn’t even see him do that bit of the act and left at the interval and went for a curry

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I thought TOTP was on a Thursday. Did it move to a Friday? Also, I’m of an age where I would’ve usually been out in a Friday night in the mid/late 90s. I do remember The Word and Eurotrash though. TFI and Fantasy Football were a bit different to anything that had been on tv back then. Although the former has been done to death now by the likes of Ant and Dec. The latter benefited from the massive boom in football. 
And I saw Steve Coogan live at the City Hall about 15 years ago. I still like Partridge but it was so bad I didn’t even see him do that bit of the act and left at the interval and went for a curry

TOTP moved from Thursday to Friday in 1996, so right in the middle of [gestures] all that.

I'd have been going out on Fridays by then too, but we were cheapskates so we'd pre-drink at someone's house before getting the metro in to the Mayfair or wherever between 9 and 10, so we'd definitely watch some of the early evening telly before heading out. I have weirdly vivid memories of the Spice Girls' first performance on TOTP. "Via satellite from Japan". Life-changing. :lol:

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

There is 3 brothers, my neighbour is the one who presented one series of top gear before losing his job to Clarkson. 

I liked Friends. Hasn't aged well, but it's rare that anything does. Perry was definitely the funniest character, it's rare that someone in a sitcom makes actual jokes that other characters laugh at. Usually you're laughing at them, but with Chandler there were plenty of occasions where you laughed with the other characters. 

Perry was also good in Studio 60, for whatever that's worth.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, strawb said:

There is 3 brothers, my neighbour is the one who presented one series of top gear before losing his job to Clarkson. 

Aye, that’s what I meant. The other, other brother. But I think the one you mean was after Clarkson (briefly) 

edit: just checked and it was in between Clarkson’s two stints as presenter. 

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Aye, that’s what I meant. The other, other brother. But I think the one you mean was after Clarkson (briefly) 

This is almost as confusing as working out which McGann did which role. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

I liked Friends. Hasn't aged well, but it's rare that anything does. Perry was definitely the funniest character, it's rare that someone in a sitcom makes actual jokes that other characters laugh at. Usually you're laughing at them, but with Chandler there were plenty of occasions where you laughed with the other characters. 

Perry was also good in Studio 60, for whatever that's worth.

Absolutely loads of things age well :lol: Fish, please do not try and justify your love of skin-deep American comedy again

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Alex said:

The one that isn’t a very good comedy/character actor or a failed car show host was in the Mock Turtles; early 90s landfill Manc-indie-baggy nonsense merchants. Or it might have been the Milltown Brothers, same description applies :cuppa: 

53 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The one that isn’t a very good comedy/character actor or a failed car show host was in the Mock Turtles; early 90s landfill Manc-indie-baggy nonsense merchants. Or it might have been the Milltown Brothers, same description applies :cuppa: 

Aye, I mentioned that earlier. I can only remember ‘Can You Dig It?’ by them tbh 

39 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Nah, one was in the Mock Turtles, one was a failed Top Gear knob, and the other is Jimmy Savile. 

I asked Keegan* and he said 

“ Tell Paddocklad he’s wrong again. “ 

* I’m sure it was Keegan

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Absolutely loads of things age well :lol: Fish, please do not try and justify your love of skin-deep American comedy again

There's more that doesn't. For every one thing that does, there's hundreds that don't. 

I think music might be a different story, but tv shows, movies? Nah, they age like milk more often than not. Even then, when people look back at the great decades of music, they forget about all the utter shit that filled the charts and focus, instead, on the stand out hits. 

Friends was very much of it's time and there's some stuff that wouldn't fly these days, but at the time it was a global mega-success. Not sure we'll ever see another sitcom dominate popculture like it did. Appetite for it isn't there and the broadcasters have changed their model. 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Even then, when people look back at the great decades of music, they forget about all the utter shit that filled the charts and focus, instead, on the stand out hits. 

The TOTP repeats on BBC Four have been very good for illustrating that. :lol:

Of course, I mostly prefer the utter shit...

• Haha 3