Reading v Newcastle United 07/03/2017

The Fish

Reading v Newcastle  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just can't fathom anyone having a pop at the manager for picking a player in form and performing ahead of the one who isn't. Lunacy tbh :razz:

Again, it's the sort of thing we annihilated Pardew for. We need to be consistent with our criticism of the inconsistent :D

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, it's the sort of thing we annihilated Pardew for. We need to be consistent with our criticism of the inconsistent :D

That's precisely what I had in mind, i.e. having a go at Pardew for persisting with players who were struggling when there seemed to be better options

He completely rubbish. 1 in 6 isn't finishing. Age has nothing to do with it. Strikers have to have one or two of the skill sets or they don't. He's not going to develop pace as he gets older or become more mobile or magically gain close control. A striker has to have some of these assets as a given. If he had pace or football intelligence or good close control or perhaps stamina (always looks tired) then you can argue over time he can bring on the other parts of his game. He doesn't have much core ability, almost nothing to build on. He'll be the same as he is now at 28.

It's not 1 in 6 though, not really now is it? He's mostly getting around 10 minutes at the end of games.

Of course age has something to do with it. Ameobi was nothing but gangly legs and energy, but became a decent targetman when he matured. Crouch has improved as time's gone on and the majority of young strikers are farmed out on loan to get game time to improve their understanding of their role and professional football. time that has justifiably not been afforded to Mitrovic.

No he won't develop pace, but he'll get stronger, he'll learn about movement, how and when to use this strength, he'll improve his finishing and develop his control. All assets vital for a target man. Oh and he's 22, not 28, so over time he'll develop football experience and while he'll never pick out a runner on his blind side with a 40yd no-look pass, he will pull 2 defenders to the back post so his mate gets a tap in. 

But this may just be one of Parky's bold declarations that is soon forgotten, so I've probably already wasted too much time on replying ;)

I've heard that before.

Welp, that's the youtube compilation of choice to accompany my lunch now, isn't it?

I presumed that if we go up we'll sell Murphy back to Ipswich or another similar club.

Doesn't mean he doesn't have an important part to play for the rest of this season and he's doing better than Mitrovic at the moment.

That's what I reckon will happen as well, we'll flog him to some play-off chasing side for 2-3m after he's done a fairly decent job for us. 

I like Mitrovic as a bloke but as a player he's took a bit of a step back this season (after what I thought was an impressive debut PL season for a young striker in a shit team), he's still scored an ok amount of goals with the somewhat limited time he has had on the pitch but he has missed an awful amount of fucking sitters. Despite not having a red card he has put in some pretty stupid performances as well, one in particular I remember him walking a bit of a fine line between being sent off. I'd love us to keep him as I do think he has potential to develop into a good player if he could just focus his aggression more and be more patient in some of his play but the way things are looking I'm not convinced he's a player Rafa has much interest in so I expect he'll be off in the summer.

I think it was Wolves away - I don't think his second foul was a yellow, he had every right to go for the ball but it could have easily have been given. 

It's not 1 in 6 though, not really now is it? He's mostly getting around 10 minutes at the end of games.

Of course age has something to do with it. Ameobi was nothing but gangly legs and energy, but became a decent targetman when he matured. Crouch has improved as time's gone on and the majority of young strikers are farmed out on loan to get game time to improve their understanding of their role and professional football. time that has justifiably not been afforded to Mitrovic.

No he won't develop pace, but he'll get stronger, he'll learn about movement, how and when to use this strength, he'll improve his finishing and develop his control. All assets vital for a target man. Oh and he's 22, not 28, so over time he'll develop football experience and while he'll never pick out a runner on his blind side with a 40yd no-look pass, he will pull 2 defenders to the back post so his mate gets a tap in. 

But this may just be one of Parky's bold declarations that is soon forgotten, so I've probably already wasted too much time on replying ;)

I said ''He'll be the same as he is now at 28.'' I didn't say he was 28.

I don't know where to begin with that. You do realise there are dozens of footballers with nearly all the assets to be a striker in place at the age of 20 who don't make it?

I can't see much past a bit of strength and will power to build on. For a long time I thought he was left footed. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

He'll be gannin neewhere if he's on 60 grand a week.

It's not that much these days.  He's a Serbian international who got a pretty decent return in the premier league in this first season as a 20/21 year old.  I think teams would see enough in that to take him on at that sort of wage even if he has had a disappointing season this time around.  I certainly cant see him being here next season, Rafa doesn't trust him in one way or another and that's going to be the key factor.  As much as I want him to succeed, I think we need a new striker if we go up.  Gayle being a success in the premier league is far from a given and Mitro is certainly looking less likely at the minute.  For all our goals this season, I think a striker (along with a left winger and a number 10) are the key positions I think we need quality in.

He made an impact in the Norwich game when we threw him on and he played with Gayle. He has regressed this season but if he is going to blossom it won't be as a lone striker

Aye I agree with this.  I think he could have played well with Gayle, got some goals and helped Gayle get even more.  But Rafa isn't never going to go down that route so it's pretty irrelevant now.

I said ''He'll be the same as he is now at 28.'' I didn't say he was 28.

I don't know where to begin with that. You do realise there are dozens of footballers with nearly all the assets to be a striker in place at the age of 20 who don't make it?

I can't see much past a bit of strength and will power to build on. For a long time I thought he was left footed. :lol:

I know you didn't say he was 28, my point was that you have written off a 22yr old, not called time on a 28yr old. It's not that you've been disappointed with his progress, not frustrated with his immaturity, you've plain old written him off at 22.

I do know that loads don't make it, Ranger is a perfect example. But I can see the foundations for a decent player and, just as importantly imo, I can see the right application and eagerness to learn. Mitrovic can finish, despite you saying he can't, he links up well despite not playing much, he needs to mature on the pitch, but that's only going to happen if he's actually getting on the pitch.

This isn't a lazy but talented Sissoko, Mitrovic has potential and the desire to strive towards it. The biggest negatives in his game will be softened by age/experience.

Mitrovic has potential and the desire to strive towards it. The biggest negatives in his game will be softened by age/experience.

It's clear Mitrovic isn't a natural goalscorer like Gayle is, he doesn't play on instincts and read the game the way a born striker does. Which is why I can't see him scoring too many for this club. You can't fault his work rate and desire, he just doesn't find himself in the right position within the box. The Bristol City game was a prime example, Atsu put at least 4 good balls across the box and Mitro is stood flat footed behind the penalty spot, if Gayle is playing he's tapping those in. Even when he does get the chances he looks uncomfortable and awkward trying to finish them. I really hope he proves me wrong and starts banging them in but nothing he's done this season suggests that.

It's clear Mitrovic isn't a natural goalscorer like Gayle is, he doesn't play on instincts and read the game the way a born striker does. Which is why I can't see him scoring too many for this club. You can't fault his work rate and desire, he just doesn't find himself in the right position within the box. The Bristol City game was a prime example, Atsu put at least 4 good balls across the box and Mitro is stood flat footed behind the penalty spot, if Gayle is playing he's tapping those in. Even when he does get the chances he looks uncomfortable and awkward trying to finish them. I really hope he proves me wrong and starts banging them in but nothing he's done this season suggests that.

You say he doesn't get into the right position, but how often does the cross come across at 6'-7'? It makes sense but the crosses are mostly for a striker like Gayle, low, fast and to the near post, or a pull back. Last time we were down here we were forever putting in high crosses from deep for  Ameobi, Best, Carroll, Harewood et al.

:dunno: I'm never going to convince people, but I've seen enough in him to think he'll become a decent striker. I also will take into account the lack of game time, the style of play and so on.

I honestly think the excessive criticism he gets is a direct reaction to the only semi-serious adulation he gets from the young fans. Just like older fans used to go spare because Ameobi's name got sung a lot.

Does anyone here think finishing gets better with age?

Because I'm not sure it does.

I'd say Crouch's finishing has improved with age, and bear in mind we're not talking about a player at his peak improving his finishing further, we're talking about a kid who is still learning the game.

It's not excessive criticism. There's a valid reason why people are critical of him this season - he hasn't been very good. This is coming from people who liked what they saw last season and want him to succeed here, myself included.

It speaks volumes that he doesn't compare favourably to Shola, who despite being a 29 year old pro, was still a donkey.

Ultimately it come down to whether Rafa is still here in the summer - and we should all be praying that is the case. But that means the end of mitro's career here and a new striker in that Rafa fancies.

I'd say Crouch's finishing has improved with age, and bear in mind we're not talking about a player at his peak improving his finishing further, we're talking about a kid who is still learning the game.

_62570467_150794997.jpg

I was of the same opinion as you when I saw him criticised last year.  I thought the championship could make him as a step down to a level where he could get some confidence banging away a few goals.  But when the facts defy your opinion you have to change your opinion.  He's not got the ability outside of a league more competitive than Belgium.

_62570467_150794997.jpg

:finger:

I was of the same opinion as you when I saw him criticised last year.  I thought the championship could make him as a step down to a level where he could get some confidence banging away a few goals.  But when the facts defy your opinion you have to change your opinion.  He's not got the ability outside of a league more competitive than Belgium.

I don't agree that the facts defy my opinion. You yourself say you thought he'd get some confidence banging away a few goals. Mitrovic hasn't played that much, he's often only played about 10 minutes at the end of games. When he has played it's often in a much changed side and so on.

Compare that to Carroll. He was turbo shit in the top flight, couldn't finish for toffee but was all right in the air, couldn't find a teammate with a pass, and was a bit of an arsehole off the pitch too. Few thought he'd be up to much in the 2nd tier. Turns out Big Andy was one of the first names on the team sheet, the system was tailor made for him and he had an experienced strike partner in Nolan to bring him along. He scored 17 in 39, picking up 7 yellows on his way. Took that form into the Premier League and was, at the time, one of the most highly rated English players.

Your comparison to Carroll supports everyone elses argument.  He was good in the championship.  Mitro isn't.

Murphy has had less than a third of the opportunities in terms of game time but scored 75% as many goals from less than a quarter as many shots, despite being older and slower.