2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I've only read snippets so far but the headlines are suggesting the Tories are :

-taking free school dinners off kids

-improving mental health services with 0% raise in funding

-if your house is worth more than £100k you pay 100% of your nursing care costs! (£1000+ pm)

-cutting the winter fuel allowance

-bringing back fox hunting

-reducing pensions and raising the state pension age, again

-bringing back grammar schools

-fiddling foreign aid

-cancel the Leveson enquiry

Yet they are walking the election :throw:

Mental isn't it? :lol:

The Labour posters they're putting up around here are all "Re-elect Vicky Foxcroft" with any mention of Labour banished to a tiny mention in the corner. Seems to be the year for it. Though in this case it's presumably because they know people see her as a good local MP but think any association with Corbyn would be toxic in a 70% remain area.

Update from my election road trip up in Scotland: no body is talking abut Labour up there, at all. We visited the Scottish Borders, where it's pretty much a straight fight between the SNP and the Tories. The big issue on the door step is a second referendum, not Brexit. And people who have never voted Tory are thinking of doing so just to keep the SNP out, because they want to stop Sturgeon's push for Indy ref 2. 

Just now, Meenzer said:

The Labour posters they're putting up around here are all "Re-elect Vicky Foxcroft" with any mention of Labour banished to a tiny mention in the corner. Seems to be the year for it. Though in this case it's presumably because they know people see her as a good local MP but think any association with Corbyn would be toxic in a 70% remain area.

Im pretty sure it was a unanimous decision in the meeting of labour strategists not to plaster "Vote Jeremy" on the side of their battle bus :lol: 

33 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Same here. 

9 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I read Blair was only polling 35% when he won a majority the second time. Why are Labour's odds so huge?

Pretty sure that's incorrect. He had a big lead in the polls iirc

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Update from my election road trip up in Scotland: no body is talking abut Labour up there, at all. We visited the Scottish Borders, where it's pretty much a straight fight between the SNP and the Tories. The big issue on the door step is a second referendum, not Brexit. And people who have never voted Tory are thinking of doing so just to keep the SNP out, because they want to stop Sturgeon's push for Indy ref 2. 

Expected though, Scotland is a lost cause as far as Labour are concerned. The Scots have understandably had it with our shit now.

17 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Cornflakes are a perfectly acceptable option for both meals tbh

Spoken like a true "Work from home" gent.

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Did you speak to Calum Ker,  whose uncle taught me metalwork? :D 

he's up against a a tory called john lamont, who is attempting to win at the 4th attempt. i was struck by how many people were saying they'd vote for him, lamont that is. i never figured the tories would have much of a chance north of the border. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

he's up against a a tory called john lamont, who is attempting to win at the 4th attempt. i was struck by how many people were saying they'd vote for him, lamont that is. i never figured the tories would have much of a chance north of the border. 

The area was lib dem for decades, but the daft fuckers were manipulated by salmon the same way Farage got at large swathes of English voters : " your life's shit because of the English/ immigrants, vote for me for a better life!!", whether their lives were crap or not, and despite the borders voting "no" in the Indy ref. Lamonts only chance is due to nobody wanting another Indy ref, although he was only within 200 votes or so of Ker in the last GE.  That's why the tories are gaining traction in various parts of Scotland, and that's why Sturgeons glory days may well be over. 

Ker's ok, he does a lot on rural broadband and is snp spokesman on rural affairs, which means he's the farmers place man to keep EU CAP grants coming in after Brexit, which is obviously a tricky gig..

Edited by PaddockLad

43 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Except it's not even close to what she said.

Asked if she could guarantee Trident renewal would remain Labour policy following a defence review, she said: “Well no, of course not, if you are going to have a review, you have to have a review.”