Other Games 18/19

Anyone seen that big list of players who aren't going btw? It has some lads from places like Gabon and Wales who never go anyway but consider some of the players that play for Holland, Italy, Chile etc and you realise that it's a good chance for some new lads to make a name for themselves in this tournament.

Having said that, they should put all the good players who aren't going in a hat and do a draw. So, the likes of Panama pick a name out of a hat, Robben, for instance, and he plays for them for the duration that they're in the tournament. 

4 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Anyone seen that big list of players who aren't going btw? It has some lads from places like Gabon and Wales who never go anyway but consider some of the players that play for Holland, Italy, Chile etc and you realise that it's a good chance for some new lads to make a name for themselves in this tournament.

Having said that, they should put all the good players who aren't going in a hat and do a draw. So, the likes of Panama pick a name out of a hat, Robben, for instance, and he plays for them for the duration that they're in the tournament. 

Let's just cancel NZ-Peru and have the Rest Of The World as team 32. We can give Nobby a place in the starting line-up as compensation.

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

Having to play at high altitude in La Paz and Quito and so on against decent sides is considerably tougher I'd say ;)

Aye, but Kyrgyzstan doesn't even exist. You try chartering a plane to an imaginary destination.

24 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Another crack pipe Monsieur?

19 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Aye, but Kyrgyzstan doesn't even exist. You try chartering a plane to an imaginary destination.

My dad's been there. Was in Bishkek(sp?) for a while. He and the British consulate spent the "Emergency Fund" on some tinned food, some long life water and stuff then blew the rest on getting shit faced, instead of making an actual Emergency Supply cache.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

My dad's been there. Was in Bishkek(sp?) for a while. He and the British consulate spent the "Emergency Fund" on some tinned food, some long life water and stuff then blew the rest on getting shit faced, instead of making an actual Emergency Supply cache.

Where do you get that from mine keeps going off after 7 years.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

As a Sporcle-head, I naturally own this T-shirt (though I don't really have the bust for it).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Where do you get that from mine keeps going off after 7 years.

Dunno, but I hope it comes in a glass bottle so I can carve my contempt of you with a shard.

1 hour ago, Ant said:

They drew with thailand... 140th in the world whose only wins were against North Korea and Myanmar in the last 10matches :lol: 

Pitch was bad, tactics had dramatically changed playing a back three, and we had no Tim Cahill, a little bit like Ireland without Ray Houghton back in the good old days. Dominated possession too as we always do. Matters not, we made it. :D

15 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I was alluding to the fact of the miles covered as oppose to the opposition faced.

I appreciate that but people were responding to the last line of the Tweet you posted :razz:

8 minutes ago, Ant said:

Same apply for suadi arabia and iraq aye?

Aye Ireland back then were lost without Houghton, we'll ignore McGrath, Bonner, Keane, Irwin, Aldridge, Staunton, who all had a either a bit of talent or medals from club level  ;) 

Did any of them ever score 13 goals in a World Cup qualifier though?

Just now, Ant said:

They were busy qualifying for tournaments not almost doing it :icon_lol:

tbh without McGrath, Baggio amongst others probably would've had a shot of getting that tally in a single game

Tbf like lots of teams would struggle to beat the 5th place South American side. I think Oceania only having half a place is fair enough but mebbies play-off against an Asian or Concacaf side like they have done in the past. Oceania sides have only qualified for 3 World Cups.

16 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

Bono, Graham Norton, Ant the cunt, Father Ted, Bob Geldof, shaun shaun the leprechaun, Dana, TheGingerQueer, Damien Duff, Ken Doherty, Terry Wogan, Roy Keane..Father Dougal 

Your green boys took a hell of a beating, a hell of a beating :icon_lol:

Somebody reported this post. The report simply read "wanker" :lol: 

16 hours ago, Alex said:

Crazy to think Craig Moore has scored the winner in a World Cup finals match

From the spot. Our player at the time...only one of ours at the cup that year from memory.