Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

Second half of the season Trips is nowhere near first half of the season Trips.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ackas said:

Second half of the season Trips is nowhere near first half of the season Trips.

A combination of getting caught rifling boilers in the vermont and getting tapped up by Bayern Munich plus a pretendy calf injury so he can attend marriage counselling.

• Haha 7

16 hours ago, Isegrim said:

I think I covered this before but it does still not look very good for City that they didn’t win the UEFA case because they actually could prove not having done anything wrong but the case got list in legal technicalities and formal stuff so that in the end time was running out. Actually not too dissimilar what Trump is trying to achieve at the moment and how some FIFA officials as well as German officials got away with crimes related to the WC in 2006.

with all due respect as i'm on your forum, but that's misinformed bollocks

If you are saying that we couldn't prove that we didn't cheat? Thats not our job. It's UEFAs job to show that we did cheat.

Essentially City put forward a legitimate set of accounts. UEFA essentially said the accounts were lies. CAS looked at UEFAs case and said there is no evidence of wrong doing. Case thrown out. It really was that simple. 

Time plays no part when there is no evidence. UEFA presented no evidence for the time barred charges and no evidence for the time, er, not-barred charges.

15 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

They can't assume that when UEFA and others are struggling to prove anything right? Imagine a EY/KPMG partner walking up to the City board with all their connections, and saying "Erm, you're in the news for being dodgy, so we're going to conduct a forensic investigation and charge you a couple of extra mil this year". Completely unfathomable even for lower profile companies than City and it's owners. 

Most large companies have a number of open cases they're fighting at any given time, auditors give them a cursory glance to the extent they are likely to affect the financial statements. That's mainly it.

Let's say the situation was more clear cut, with City fined and being looked into by government authorities, in that case the firm would have protocols based on risk, from withdrawing completely to amending scope and limiting liability to cover their arses. Very rare.  

I get that. I do. Along similar lines I used to do equity work. When you're looking at an oil that straddles boundaries deciding what percentage belongs to whom is worth many millions. So if we didn't maximise our clients percentage they don't come back. But there are limits to how far you can go given that ultimately your reputation is on the line too.

You're entitled to your view on this specific case of course, but i personally don't believe that those companies are going to risk there reputations for little old city.

I also don't believe that an investment company like silverlake would have bought in if their due diligence on these charges didn't show that city are above board.

there are other considerations too. khaldoon, for instance, has a reputation to uphold. he isn't going to oversee dodgy deals to the tune of a few million at city and risk jeopardising his standing with world leaders and world business leaders via mubadala  ( His Excellency Khaldoon Khalifa Al Mubarak | Mubadala ). CFG is worth millions, Mubadala is worth billions. 

:lol:

Binning Poch and replacing him with Kompany would be (do the next bit in a Kenny Everett American accent) SO TODD BOEHLY! 

Also wtf are Bayern sniffing around Kompany for? 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Because everyone in world football aside from Steve Bruce has knocked them back.

There were rumours they were in for Howe and he knocked them back because we're fucking massive.

Also, I think they wanted Tuchel to stay (again from random rumours), but he was after getting his massive forehead clean out of dodge.

20 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I got the point, just thought I’d try and drag you back into reality rather than the warm-take hypothetical nonsense land you tend to reside in 

AND VERY FUCKIN HAPPY I AM THERE TOO ☺️

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

with all due respect as i'm on your forum, but that's misinformed bollocks

If you are saying that we couldn't prove that we didn't cheat? Thats not our job. It's UEFAs job to show that we did cheat.

Essentially City put forward a legitimate set of accounts. UEFA essentially said the accounts were lies. CAS looked at UEFAs case and said there is no evidence of wrong doing. Case thrown out. It really was that simple. 

Time plays no part when there is no evidence. UEFA presented no evidence for the time barred charges and no evidence for the time, er, not-barred charges.

I am not going to get involved in an argument especially concerning legal stuff and as you totally twisted what I actually said.

Am I missing something? Why is Vincent Kompany considered hot property? He's proven capable of getting a Championship yo-yo club promoted and proven incapable of achieving anything close to keeping them in the PL. I get the point that he has some credit as a disciple of Pep but really (on the basis of current results) has he done much to separate himself from other high-profile former players turned managers?

Plenty of bang average managers have been promoted out of the Championship on less resources than Burnley have at their disposal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toonotl said:

Am I missing something? Why is Vincent Kompany considered hot property? He's proven capable of getting a Championship yo-yo club promoted and proven incapable of achieving anything close to keeping them in the PL. I get the point that he has some credit as a disciple of Pep but really (on the basis of current results) has he done much to separate himself from other high-profile former players turned managers?

Plenty of bang average managers have been promoted out of the Championship on less resources than Burnley have at their disposal.

He will end up in Saudi with Steeeeeeeeeeeeeevie Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, toonotl said:

I can only think that his preferred style works with a dominant side, that's why Burnley did well in the Championship. But he didn't evolve it to work when they're not the biggest fish in the pond. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Isegrim said:

I am not going to get involved in an argument especially concerning legal stuff and as you totally twisted what I actually said.

mate that's fair enough. also i hadn't realised i twisted (or misunderstood) what you said. so i apologise for that. it's obviously a touchy subject for us blues. i will leave it there too. 

i do though suspect we both agree that playing an extra game at the end of a long season on the other side of the world seems like utter madness. at the start of the season i get, but the end wow.

7 hours ago, toonotl said:

Vinny is bang average as a manager at best. But his players were bang average too. From a Man City point of view, seeing him tested at elite level will show if he can do it with elite players. 

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I can only think that his preferred style works with a dominant side, that's why Burnley did well in the Championship. But he didn't evolve it to work when they're not the biggest fish in the pond. 

Aye, his team tried to dominate possession in the premier league because they dominated possession in the championship. Give him a good side and apply those tactics and he'll probably do quite well IMO. They were quite pleasant to watch I thought, just weren't good enough to adapt when coming up against better sides. He'd probably do well at Bayern.

• Like 1