Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

I watched the first couple of episodes of the Beckham documentary on Netflix and quite enjoyed it.  The nostalgia with the music etc was great.

Watching Beckham spraying passes he didn't half have a great eye for a pass and a superb range of passing.  But his forte was his long range passing.  Isn't that just long ball football thought which certain manager I.e Fat Sam etc got ridiculed for?  Or was it because it was just Beckham, Giggs and Scholes who did it, that's allowed because 90% of the time it hit the target.

I reckon it comes down to precision - Hollywood passes were (IMO) meant to have an clearly observed intended target who was making a run in anticipation of it. Allardyce just had his defenders skying the thing to no one in particular in the hope that the big guy up front could get himself under it and then 'hold up play'.

Mind you, this is me being devil's advocate, I can see the point you're making.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I reckon it comes down to precision - Hollywood passes were (IMO) meant to have an clearly observed intended target who was making a run in anticipation of it. Allardyce just had his defenders skying the thing to no one in particular in the hope that the big guy up front could get himself under it and then 'hold up play'.

Mind you, this is me being devil's advocate, I can see the point you're making.

Not devil's advocate. Just correct. 👍 

23 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Not devil's advocate. Just correct. 👍 

Aye, there's a big difference between Man Utd playing long balls compared to Fat Sam's Bolton IMO. Skill and precision over hit and hope. Also, Man Utd at that time had the ability to play along the deck and move the ball quickly. Fat Sam used to have his goalie go for goal, and then sit in the stands with a fucking head set on to try and make out that he was some kind of avant garde genius. the only thing he was ahead of the curve on was annoying, fat dick heads with bluetooth head gear.

I really enjoyed the Beckham thing. Some career/life he's had, mind.

They both come off pretty well in the doc though. Ferguson seems like an absolute cunt, which is no big shock.

Beckham's country pile is tremendous too.

• Like 1

There was obviously a very strict agreement on how they would handle the bit about his affairs. They would talk about the press intrusion and about how difficult that period of their lives was, but there would be NO questions allowed on whether he actually got up to no good or any specifics around that.

It was quite weird cos there was just this big unasked question left hanging throughout that section.

19 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

There was obviously a very strict agreement on how they would handle the bit about his affairs. They would talk about the press intrusion and about how difficult that period of their lives was, but there would be NO questions allowed on whether he actually got up to no good or any specifics around that.

It was quite weird cos there was just this big unasked question left hanging throughout that section.

Affairs, plural? I thought he only rifled the babysitter.

To this day, I still think half the reason Beckham got away with shagging his kids nanny behind his pregnant wifes back is because a lot of people just didn't like Posh Spice :lol:

Edited by Sonatine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

Looks fucking shite and I’ll be giving it a swerve. That’s my counter-review 

I concur completely. I’d further suggest that anyone with an ounce of interest in that prancing fuckin show pony and his horrendous wife needs to reassess their attitude to life in general :cuppa:

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Rattled some Aussie hooker/model. 

Fair play :lol:

Was it Beckham who was rumoured to have bucked the Welsh opera lass who isn't Charlotte Church as well?

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

the Welsh opera lass who isn't Charlotte Church as well?

:lol:

Am struggling to imagine how pissed I'd be if I was some sort of talented performer and yet this was how I was known.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

:lol:

Am struggling to imagine how pissed I'd be if I was some sort of talented performer and yet this was how I was known.

"That Welsh lass who does the owld opera who 'allegedly' got pumped by Beckham, who isn't Churchy" is about as much respect as I will ever give to opera singers/performers :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

He was fucking SMOKING back in the day mind. Obviously not if you're into the rugby lads, and you prefer the gorilla in a suit look.

There's more chance of me bending over for 50 year old Becks than the 20 something, metrosexual weirdo in a sarong, personally.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

"That Welsh lass who does the owld opera who 'allegedly' got pumped by Beckham, who isn't Churchy" is about as much respect as I will ever give to opera singers/performers :lol:

81yez2.gif

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Katherine Jenkins

Or Satan's representative on earth, as Frank Skinner calls her.

That is the one - However I am less bothered about Beckham hanging out the back of her, and more interested in why Frank Skinner hates her. Google is unusually blank on the subject.