Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

52 minutes ago, Tom said:

Manchester isn’t the north

Hang on hang on, you're not far off saying Im not from the north there.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Hang on hang on, you're not far off saying Im not from the north there.

:lol:
If you went any further south you’d trip over a penguin. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:
If you went any further south you’d trip over a penguin. 

from! FROM!

As you'd expect things are flipped here, the south island is definitely the "north" of NZ :lol:

• Haha 2

Been in Manchester for nearly 10 years, it’s a great place to live with generally decent (city/stockport fans) people. 

Still not sure I would count it as the “north”. People are just a little different the further north you go (better), but it’s not the midlands. The mancs don’t deserve being lumped in with those mutants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For ‘Slipless in Settle’, Harry Pearson’s book about northern cricket. He used his dad’s definition of ‘the north’. I’m paraphrasing here but it’s a line starting at the Humber and going directly across the country to roughly where Southport is. He said it would come as a surprise to many that Geoff Boycott is not, therefore, from the north. But it provides the only reasonable explanation as to why the aforementioned cricketer is a Man Utd fan 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 7

Sinbins on the way next season by the look of things. Trialled in the FA cup - the refs can send off players for 10 minutes for dissent and cynical fouls. What could possibly go wrong there?

34 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Sinbins on the way next season by the look of things. Trialled in the FA cup - the refs can send off players for 10 minutes for dissent and cynical fouls. What could possibly go wrong there?

I dunno, I think it would be fun to see Liverpool and Man Utd down to 2 outfield players for 10 minutes every other game. 

• Haha 2

Premier League clubs have voted to toughen rules on associated party transactions, but face the threat of arbitration from one of their own clubs, believed to be Manchester City.

Chief executive Richard Masters informed clubs this week of the potential legal battle with the club in question arguing the rules may be in contravention of competition law. The league insist they are fully compatible with the law.

The Premier League has declined to comment on the identity of the club and didn’t reveal it in their email to members this week or in a shareholders’ meeting on Friday, but Sky News reported that there has been speculation it is Manchester City, and The Athletic has also independently verified that the club is believed to be City. City themselves are declining to comment on the matter.

Clubs failed to vote down a proposal to fast-track a ban on loans between associated clubs in the January transfer window in November, while a proposal to block wider affiliate transactions also fell short of the 14 votes required to pass.

It is understood the clubs who voted against the temporary ban on January loans were Burnley, Chelsea, Everton, Newcastle, Nottingham Forest, Manchester City, Sheffield United and Wolves.

However, at a meeting of member clubs on Friday it is understood two reversed course allowing the motion to pass and change what is and isn’t permitted.

A statement from the league confirmed “a series of amendments” had been agreed “to further enhance the efficiency and accuracy of the system.”

14 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Would man city not be more concerned with loaning players out rather than in though? Doesn't make much sense to me this, and we're obviously not going down the route of loaning in players otherwise we would have definitely done it in Jan.

9 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Would man city not be more concerned with loaning players out rather than in though? Doesn't make much sense to me this, and we're obviously not going down the route of loaning in players otherwise we would have definitely done it in Jan.

Does it solely affect loans? Or would it cover sales as well?

Because I can see why Man City would want freedom to buy players from their City Group affiliates on the cheap?

48 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Because I can see why Man City would want freedom to buy players from their City Group affiliates on the cheap?

Aye probably, I guess I just looked at it solely based on what was in the quoted text but your way makes more sense.

12 hours ago, The Fish said:

Or sell them for a profit. 

On 08/02/2024 at 16:51, The Fish said:

I dunno, I think it would be fun to see Liverpool and Man Utd down to 2 outfield players for 10 minutes every other game. 

If you get 5 in the sin bin is the game abandoned?

55 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

This should come as a surprise to absolutely no one 

Except gammons who seem to only cyclists and the odd small minnow track athlete dopes and Usain bolt just had more fast twitch because he was black. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Except gammons who seem to only cyclists and the odd small minnow track athlete dopes and Usain bolt just had more fast twitch because he was black. 

One of my favourites is Tyson Fury using the excuse that his positive test for nandrolone was actually due to eating uncastrated wild boar 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

This should come as a surprise to absolutely no one 

That list of player failed drug tests is mostly recreational drugs or prescription drugs for pain/asthma/ADHD. 

Im no doping expert, but not sure how any of those are performance enhancing 

25 minutes ago, Alex said:

One of my favourites is Tyson Fury using the excuse that his positive test for nandrolone was actually due to eating uncastrated wild boar 

:lol: Aye that's a good one.

They'll come up with anything but contamination is such a big one.

I have spoken at some length with a pro triathlete about doping.  They know of some people who have done it but when they've shopped them UKAD have so little resources they don't bother with too many small fry.  They're too busy with rugby players :lol: 

Just now, Kid Dynamite said:

That list of player failed drug tests is mostly recreational drugs or prescription drugs for pain/asthma/ADHD. 

Im no doping expert, but not sure how any of those are performance enhancing 

They will have TUE's for the latter so that's fine.