Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

33 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Eh? How are Real Madrid so low?

They are surprisingly good at selling players, and not spending as much as you think a lot of the time, I just went back through a few years of their transfers out of curiosity and they spend a lot of years making profits on players like Alvaro morata

20 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Given the opposition to PIF’s takeover I can’t believe they’d vote for this mind…

IMG_4151.jpeg

it's pissing off all the right people 👍

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's pissing off all the right people 👍

Is Delaney still going? He does know that "the most wealthy can keep paying whatever they want" is bollocks, doesn't he? Business is still business, and even the most wealthy investors will (eventually) want a return on their investment. All this rule change will bring about is allowing teams with owners that have the means to invest large sums into their business to grow and succeed can do so, but at a premium - a premium which would then be filtered down to the clubs that don't, benefiting them to an extent too.

Also, so long as UEFA don't bow to the pressure of the PL and make it a universal thing then their rules would still apply for European competitions meaning teams like Man City and his beloved Man Utd couldn't "spend what they want".

The bloke is the worst kind of idiot.

• Like 3

It's fucking true though. :lol:

I read something just yesterday which almost seemed to suggest that they'd plucked him from obscurity. 

So fucking weird. 

• Haha 6

This is the SMB's official accountant's take on the luxury tax. I thought their frat kid owner literally relied on money from the bank of Mam?

image.thumb.png.3cc677d933371c5994d132fe50b02a22.png

• Haha 3

Not an expert on their history but surely most clubs in the "bank of England" era were getting 50/60/70k crowds - did the mackems have a more successful club shop than others? Access to overseas markets? Global tv deals? 

I'd guess it was their owners pockets the same as Liverpool in a slightly later era. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NJS said:

Not an expert on their history but surely most clubs in the "bank of England" era were getting 50/60/70k crowds - did the mackems have a more successful club shop than others? Access to overseas markets? Global tv deals? 

I'd guess it was their owners pockets the same as Liverpool in a slightly later era. 

They had a global pull after selling the pathé film reels to MGM for the documentary by William Chumley-Brewece called 'Simply Splendidly Sunderland football club from Roker Park.' Made them a fortune so they reckon. :good:

• Haha 8

15 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

They had a global pull after selling the pathé film reels to MGM for the documentary by William Chumley-Brewece called 'Simply Splendidly Sunderland football club from Roker Park.' Made them a fortune so they reckon. :good:

Theme tune by George Formby, if I remember correctly. On a river where they currently build the boats... turned out nice again!

• Haha 4

On 02/04/2024 at 08:59, Dazzler said:

I would definitely say Rashford. Get him in under Howe with his man management skills stick him up top (since neither of our strikers are ever at 100%) and he'll nail the goals in.

He seems like a canny enough lad off the pitch, and his form is completely linked to the absolute basket case of a club he plays for and the entitled fans that constantly get on his back whenever he misses a chance. Also - the right wing tory cunts that support man utd that were against him providing food to vulnerable kids during covid.

You couldn't have him on the left of a front three under Howe as he just wouldn't do the graft that Gordon or Barnes do (he's probably shit at the defensive stuff anyway) but whenever he's played central he often drops deep to receive the ball and start attacks (a bit like Isak does for us).

Bear in mind that the lad had been on the pitch less than 20 minutes at this stage.

• Haha 4

Rashford is a strange one. I can only assume he has fallen out with Eric Ten Nonce. He knows he got pelters for this previously (Fulham game where social media blew up over his lack of pressing) but he still strolls around. I'd have him out the squad immediately. 

29 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Bear in mind that the lad had been on the pitch less than 20 minutes at this stage.

That's a fair amount of effort to put into a game when you play for man utd tbf.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Rashford is a strange one. I can only assume he has fallen out with Eric Ten Nonce. He knows he got pelters for this previously (Fulham game where social media blew up over his lack of pressing) but he still strolls around. I'd have him out the squad immediately. 

I don't think it's all that strange as he clearly has the ability to get 30 goals a season for them (the only player in their team that can), so they can't really afford to bench him - but like you said I get the impression he doesn't get on with the manager at all and isn't willing to put the yards in to do him any favours. 

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

I don't think it's all that strange as he clearly has the ability to get 30 goals a season for them (the only player in their team that can), so they can't really afford to bench him - but like you said I get the impression he doesn't get on with the manager at all and isn't willing to put the yards in to do him any favours. 

oh yeah. He 100% has the ability to do it but his body language, application and his behaviour this season would mean he won’t get anywhere near it. 

His lack of effort is actually disrespectful to the club.

Love it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Theme tune by George Formby, if I remember correctly. On a river where they currently build the boats... turned out nice again!

I bought one of George Formby's grills a few years ago, the meat always turned out nice again. :ok:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Dazzler said:

Hardly a good look that is it? Dont get on with the manager so half arse it and make videos about how committed you are? I'm sure ManUtd fans are thrilled with his attitude. Also maybe I'm wrong but he's been a regular starter under Ten Hag and even moved back to his favorite position after making a fuss about not liking playing through the center, it's hardly like the manager has thrown him under the bus. 

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Bilbao marra, Bil-fucken-bao. 

In and around Bilbao actually 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ewerk said:

Just as well Ron Atkinson isn't getting punditry work these days. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, aimaad22 said:

Hardly a good look that is it? Dont get on with the manager so half arse it and make videos about how committed you are? I'm sure ManUtd fans are thrilled with his attitude. Also maybe I'm wrong but he's been a regular starter under Ten Hag and even moved back to his favorite position after making a fuss about not liking playing through the center, it's hardly like the manager has thrown him under the bus. 

Whatever the reason, he’s just signed a massive new contract and given the choice between sacking the manager or letting their star player rot on the bench the board are always going to back the player.

Fuck you, Rashford.

• Like 3

On 04/04/2024 at 21:20, GrahamTaylor5 said:

Is this all down to teams 'growing' (or finding/stockpiling) youth to sell? I can understand how we are above Spurs but I don't get Liverpool.

Coutinho, Mane and Fabinho sales netted Liverpool £200mil, which offset their net spend a canny bit 

• Like 1