Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

Some good points in this article, some utter bollocks too, including these thoughts on our current situation:

and who in Newcastle’s case, rather than breathe a sigh of relief that one of the worst, most evil regimes on planet Earth had been blocked from taking over their club thanks to illegal piracy of television rights, have instead complained bitterly to the UK government. Their petition has been signed by more than 100,000 people: for whom, it might therefore be assumed, the chance of scraping a place in the Europa League is far more important than the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, caused largely by mass murderers who they appear to view as their club’s saviours.

Those fans might well turn around and say “but the British government does deals with the Saudis too!” Which of course, it does… but this only begs the question: “Did you vote against that government last year? Or for it?” And if the argument is that the Saudis will bring investment and jobs: well yes, so did Hitler. If he was offering to buy your football club and spend hundreds of millions, would that be OK too?

Newcastle, of course, were left trailing in the wake of the Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour takeovers. Toon fans I know protested furiously about the former, in particular — but it turns out, they were just jealous. When money comes calling, any sense of morality or basic decency simply dissolves. The fiancee of poor Jamal Khashoggi even received abuse from some Newcastle fans when pleading with the Premier League to see sense and stop the takeover.

https://medium.com/@shaunjlawson/falling-out-of-love-with-football-a-fans-lament-9405585ee211

There was protesting about Abramovic taking over Chelsea by Newcastle fans? I really don’t remember that. 

The high and mighty stance of a lot of these journalists is nauseating tbh. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Howay said:

There was protesting about Abramovic taking over Chelsea by Newcastle fans? I really don’t remember that. 

The high and mighty stance of a lot of these journalists is nauseating tbh. 

Of course there was … Shaun Lawson says there was, so there must’ve been. 

Shaun Lawson, who hell he?

9a8e84febbc306de28a3a1dea2f516a5.gif

• Haha 3

Its the attempt to link the PL decision to

some sort of moral outcome that’s laughable. Morality has no bearing on it, its purely about money. Yes, we must all rejoice because our would be owners were fucked over by Liverpool and Tottingham because they didnt want their private top 6 members club to be threatened. But thats ok because its the saudis.

i just feel so sad for the fans of clubs like man city who must lay awake at night worrying about their owners. You know, the ones we were up in arms about even though nobody can remember any toon fans protesting....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Some good points in this article, some utter bollocks too, including these thoughts on our current situation:

and who in Newcastle’s case, rather than breathe a sigh of relief that one of the worst, most evil regimes on planet Earth had been blocked from taking over their club thanks to illegal piracy of television rights, have instead complained bitterly to the UK government. Their petition has been signed by more than 100,000 people: for whom, it might therefore be assumed, the chance of scraping a place in the Europa League is far more important than the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, caused largely by mass murderers who they appear to view as their club’s saviours.

Those fans might well turn around and say “but the British government does deals with the Saudis too!” Which of course, it does… but this only begs the question: “Did you vote against that government last year? Or for it?” And if the argument is that the Saudis will bring investment and jobs: well yes, so did Hitler. If he was offering to buy your football club and spend hundreds of millions, would that be OK too?

Newcastle, of course, were left trailing in the wake of the Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour takeovers. Toon fans I know protested furiously about the former, in particular — but it turns out, they were just jealous. When money comes calling, any sense of morality or basic decency simply dissolves. The fiancee of poor Jamal Khashoggi even received abuse from some Newcastle fans when pleading with the Premier League to see sense and stop the takeover.

https://medium.com/@shaunjlawson/falling-out-of-love-with-football-a-fans-lament-9405585ee211

I think you’ll find it’s all true. He’s even linked to an article also spouting a load of shite to prove his point. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

It’s shame for the smaller clubs who rely on the income. 

I doubt any fans will be allowed in by then, but you're right as they will lose TV money.  It could see a lot of clubs go under. 

Nope. It’s an amount of money I can’t begin to comprehend in that sense. 

If someone says “you’ll be paying that off till your 65 but you might want to release equity at some stage” I can begin to understand it.

But getting that a week for nothing is absolutely mental.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

me too :D

But, honestly if it were me, I'd give those who were made redundant a few quid each. 

I think a lot of the Arsenal players agreed a pay deferral to ensure that staff weren’t laid off. If the club have reneged on this, then it’s hardly the players’ fault. 

Also, Kroenke has way more money than any of the players so the ire should be directed at him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Billy Whitehurst said:

I think a lot of the Arsenal players agreed a pay deferral to ensure that staff weren’t laid off. If the club have reneged on this, then it’s hardly the players’ fault. 

Also, Kroenke has way more money than any of the players so the ire should be directed at him.

Fair play to the players if they did. I never seen out in the news so i just assumed they were made redundant.

I guess also some footballers might give a lot of money away but don't want the publicity, also fair play to them as well.