Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

Genuinely saddened about Vialli. I always liked him as a player. Apart from being top quality he was a proper grafter too. Always came across as a lovely bloke as well. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

Genuinely saddened about Vialli. I always liked him as a player. Apart from being top quality he was a proper grafter too. Always came across as a lovely bloke as well. 

aye. no age either.

obvs you never want to hear the doctor say you've got cancer, but pancreatic has to be among the worst. it killed my friend's father just weeks after he was diagnosed. did for bill hicks too iirc

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Same cancer and age as my mother :( 

Shit times. I was thinking how unbelievably young he was before realising my Mam was 2 years younger than that when she went. I guess it's because it's the generation where we all fell in love with football and Vialli was unreal. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Vialli's died. :(

Poor bastard. 

Poor bastard indeed, never came across as a cunt which is some going considering some of the clubs, (ok, Chelsea), he played for and managed. Pretty sure him and Zola made a thing about applauding our fans at Wembley in the semi-final at Wembley, (Zola even gave a NUFC fan his shirt iirc) as they went down the tunnel as they recognised how well we played that day and how brilliant the supporters were that day compared to the Henley Regatta Tory crew at the other end of the stadium. 

• Like 5

When we lost to them in the FA Cup semi at the old Wembley the Newcastle fans were at the tunnel end. As well as the Newcastle team we gave Chelsea and Vialli a great ovation. He hung around a fair while applauding our fans. To be honest, I don’t think he could believe the reception, given we’d lost despite being the superior side on the day. 
We still reminded Graeme Rix he was a paedophile though

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Poor bastard indeed, never came across as a cunt which is some going considering some of the clubs, (ok, Chelsea), he played for and managed. Pretty sure him and Zola made a thing about applauding our fans at Wembley in the semi-final at Wembley, (Zola even gave a NUFC fan his shirt iirc) as they went down the tunnel as they recognised how well we played that day and how brilliant the supporters were that day compared to the Henley Regatta Tory crew at the other end of the stadium. 

Were you there too? I think Rob Lee’s goal might’ve been my favourite single moment in football. Absolute fucking bedlam when that went in 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Were you there too? I think Rob Lee’s goal might’ve been my favourite single moment in football. Absolute fucking bedlam when that went in 

Most devastated I've been at a game as I knew we'd win the final v villa and we'd played well. We didn't even get much time to savour the goal did we? Off the top my head it's the most 'limbs' I've seen and been involved in at an all seater stadium.

• Like 3

Just now, Alex said:

You’re right about that goal. The noise when it went in was primeval…

RIP Vialli, read an article about him once apparently he was from a wealthy background, think it said he was brought up in a castle :lol: When he was coming through at Sampdoria Souness joined from Liverpool and corrupted him into the wicked ways of drinking beer for 12 hours solid etc etc think Mancini was a young player there too, Souness was apparently a big influence on both of them..

• Like 4

Just now, PaddockLad said:

You’re right about that goal. The noise when it went in was primeval…

RIP Vialli, read an article about him once apparently he was from a wealthy background, think it said he was brought up in a castle :lol: When he was coming through at Sampdoria Souness joined from Liverpool and corrupted him into the wicked ways of drinking beer for 12 hours solid etc etc think Mancini was a young player there too, Souness was apparently a big influence on both of them..

Aye, Mancini was at Samp the same time as Vierchowod, Vialli and Lombardo too, off the top of my head. There was an urban myth Vialli was Italian aristocracy but the actual story was his dad was a successful business man and he was brought up in a castle that had formerly been owned by an aristocratic family 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Most devastated I've been at a game as I knew we'd win the final v villa and we'd played well. We didn't even get much time to savour the goal did we? Off the top my head it's the most 'limbs' I've seen and been involved in at an all seater stadium.

Didn't Keiron Dyer almost equalise in the dying moments? If we'd taken it to extra time I think we'd have beaten them.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Craig said:

Didn't Keiron Dyer almost equalise in the dying moments? If we'd taken it to extra time I think we'd have beaten them.

We had chances, I know there was one near the end, we had zero luck as per usual, was a foul leading up to their second I think which naturally went their way. The winners of this game were winning the cup all day long. Absolutely gutted at the end and when I heard NUFC fan in front of me bemoan our luck and say we unlucky only for some cockney prick to butt in and say in his whiney, fucking voice 'I wouldn't say so' to say he got the hairdryer treatment would be an understatement. Luckily I calmed down enough and the CW took the hint and decided to be a little bit Wooh, a little bit whey somewhere else pretty sharpish. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alex said:

My dad has always said that when the goal went in, he was in Row L and by the time we’d stopped celebrating, he was in Row D

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Alex said:

When we lost to them in the FA Cup semi at the old Wembley the Newcastle fans were at the tunnel end. As well as the Newcastle team we gave Chelsea and Vialli a great ovation. He hung around a fair while applauding our fans. To be honest, I don’t think he could believe the reception, given we’d lost despite being the superior side on the day. 
We still reminded Graeme Rix he was a paedophile though

I was at that game, right next to the tunnel tbh. 
Him, Zola and Poyet seemed genuinely blown away by their reception from us as they left. 
I’m sure one of them chucked their shirt in to our lot too. 

Leaving the ground after I remember saying to a Chelsea lad “ Cheer up man, you’s fucking won!” because he looked utterly miserable…

… which might’ve been because he was surrounded by thousands of pissed-up raucous Geordies, but hey-ho. :lol:

• Like 5