Brighton v Newcastle 24/09/2017

The Fish

Score?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i don't know what shape peg perez is, or what size hole he's supposed to fit in. 

i don't see why joselu couldn't work with gayle playing off him, and the rest as they were behind them. 

Isn't it too much of a significant change to the system to risk and the hope that it will be better?

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Isn't it too much of a significant change to the system to risk and the hope that it will be better?

is it? you're replacing one player who is contributing SFA, with another who is showing he can link play, but asking him to play 10-15 yards deeper and to chip in more with the defensive duties when we're defending. 

perez isn't performing as a number 10. we're carrying him. 

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

is it? you're replacing one player who is contributing SFA, with another who is showing he can link play, but asking him to play 10-15 yards deeper and to chip in more with the defensive duties when we're defending. 

perez isn't performing as a number 10. we're carrying him. 

I'm not convinced, I think we'd lose a vital part of Benitez' strategy by removing Joselu from the sharp point of the spear. I agree we need something other than Perez (or Diame) in the #10 position, but I think Joselu up front is better than Joselu in a role he's not familiar/natural at. 

Of the squad we've got available I'd prefer Merino played further forward and Joselu retain his role up front, to be honest.

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

What was he supposed to say? Unless it's absolutely 100% clear that he was in the wrong every manager will defend their player.

He said that after he viewed the video. It was 100% clear that he did it on purpose. Was it not to you?

55 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i don't know what shape peg perez is, or what size hole he's supposed to fit in.  

Perez doesn't know what size trousers he's supposed to fit in, never mind where he's supposed to be playing.

1 hour ago, Anorthernsoul said:

The only reason I can think of that Perez starts every game is because he's Spanish, his footballing ability doesn't suggest anything.

i thought he looked canny the first season he was with us, but he's no number 10. he's been crap this season and was ordinary last year (when i thought he'd bang them in), up until the last few games when he bagged a few. wasn't he playing as a striker when he first joined? 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i thought he looked canny the first season he was with us, but he's no number 10. he's been crap this season and was ordinary last year (when i thought he'd bang them in), up until the last few games when he bagged a few. wasn't he playing as a striker when he first joined? 

He had good movement in the box and I figured him for a bit of a poacher in the Chicharito mould.

Don't think he has the technique to play #10.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Scored some good goals in his first season, been very average since.

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

He had good movement in the box and I figured him for a bit of a poacher in the Chicharito mould.

Don't think he has the technique to play #10.

He's absolutely nothing like Chicarito in any respect.

He's not clever enough or quick thinking enough to play as a 10 at the moment. Interesting to see what Rafa gets out of him in the long run though.

Diame couldn't trap a bag of cement so it's no suprise he persists with Perez for now.

He seems more suited to the Premiership for some reason, so I'm going to judge him just on that for now.

Thought he was decent in the last game and a lot seemed to think he was decent the game before (I didn't).

Also thought he was average yesterday and didn't stand out for criticism more than anyone else.

All that said, #10 is still the position crying out for a "top" player in January.

20 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

He said that after he viewed the video. It was 100% clear that he did it on purpose. Was it not to you?

To me it was blatant but if there's any chance he might get away with it (and there is) then a manager will defend his player, that's how it works.

Anyway, he's been charged with violent conduct.

16 hours ago, Tom said:

He's absolutely nothing like Chicarito in any respect.

He's not clever enough or quick thinking enough to play as a 10 at the moment. Interesting to see what Rafa gets out of him in the long run though.

Diame couldn't trap a bag of cement so it's no suprise he persists with Perez for now.

A slight poacher who scores but doesn't contribute hugely to the rest of the team?

To be a poacher you're generally expected to hit the back of the net from 6 yards out. Can't really remember Ayoze scoring many goals I'd describe as opportunistic & he misses chances he should be putting away. 

Also the player you've compared him to is not only a poacher but a very prolific one. He's even bagging goals in a dross West Ham side, we should have signed him tbh...

I'm with Tom, he's nothing like Hernandez other than in terms of his size.

I also disagree with Fish (and RobinRobin) that Merino would be better than Shelvey pushed further forward.  Merino is making more tackles for us than anyone else in the team.  He also wins a lot in the air (he's was excellent in this respect in the first half against West Ham) and I wouldn't want to lose that, which I think you would, if he was moved forward.  Shelvey doesn't have that in his locker.