Jump to content
PaddockLad

The January 2018 transfer window thread

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, adios said:

  

 

It does baffle me that these things aren't done and dusted by the 1st but .............................................

 

It does baffle me a bit too, negotiations can be carried out secretly behind closed doors long before a window opens, and when the window opens...........voila!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

Ings is no better than Gayle.

 

He was, hes spent ages injured and not playing though.

 

Slimani would be the more attractive option to me tbh, seems more of a Rafa style front man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, trooper said:

Ings on 60K a week & Slimani on 80K a week would Lard Boy allow this ?

I doubt Leicester would let Slimani go, he's a player i'd love to see here. Ings, meh !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Alex said:

We need Kenedy like a hole in the head

BOOM BOOM! (BOOM)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

 

He was, hes spent ages injured and not playing though.

 

Slimani would be the more attractive option to me tbh, seems more of a Rafa style front man

 

I'd rather steer clear and look elsewhere as his injury record hasn't been great so to rely on him to get us more goals week in week out just just isn't for me and money could be better spent elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slimani looks like he is in favour again so I cant see that happening.

Who is supposedly interested in Elliot?

We have the FA Cup this weekend.  I wouldn't start having a panic yet, if we aren't close to getting someone by the middle of next week I would be a little more concerned like.  Considering our next league game is against a relegation rival too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, adios said:

:lol:  

 

It does baffle me that these things aren't done and dusted by the 1st but I'd say it is an indication it's a tight budget and Rafa probably has to sell to buy.

The selling teams are likely focussed on what they need too. Ings might not be in Klopp's immediate plans, but it's prudent to wait for the window to open before allowing a player to begin negotiations. Plus there'll be a few teams interested in him, won't there? I'm guessing that'd be true of most if not all of the players on our RADAR.

 

Elliot may well be a player that a few Championship clubs are interested in, but until we've got a replacement it makes sense to hold onto him.

 

Add to that desperation would surely drive the price up, even if that price is just a loan deal that's more in your favour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rogerbarton said:

£15m for Mitro is what we paid, isn't it? So he's probably decreased in terms of value since then, but PL prices inflation has gone up a lot. So not totally unrealistic! But by treating him as second fiddle to Joselu it's not really going to help our case.

 

Rob Elliot's 32 this year and not even a guaranteed starter for us, so we'd be lucky to get more than a few million. 

Mitro still scores international goals.32 isn't old for a keeper so I'll stick with my valuations,thank you very much.Apologies accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The selling teams are likely focussed on what they need too. Ings might not be in Klopp's immediate plans, but it's prudent to wait for the window to open before allowing a player to begin negotiations. Plus there'll be a few teams interested in him, won't there? I'm guessing that'd be true of most if not all of the players on our RADAR.

 

Elliot may well be a player that a few Championship clubs are interested in, but until we've got a replacement it makes sense to hold onto him.

 

Add to that desperation would surely drive the price up, even if that price is just a loan deal that's more in your favour.

 

Aye, agree with most of that; it behooves the selling clubs to play the waiting game too but if a club is willing to pay the going rate, these deals can be done.

 

See Van Dijk, or is he the exception that proves the rule?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, adios said:

Aye, agree with most of that; it behooves the selling clubs to play the waiting game too but if a club is willing to pay the going rate, these deals can be done.

 

See Van Dijk, or is he the exception that proves the rule?

 

Aye, when you get to that stratospheric level of deal it doesn't really make a difference, does it? Especially when it's a bit of saga, see Coutinho too. To be honest, the VVD transfer should have been sorted in the summer. Similar to De Gea and Coutinho's moves to Spain.

 

The margins aren't as important to those transfers as they are to teams like us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm afraid it signals that things are tight and Ashley hasn't learned a fucking thing.  Given the immense importance of this window, he should be prepared to pay over the odds to get bodies in early.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm basically saying that if the takeover doesn't happen then St James Park will implode in a fireball that will take out the entire city and then the robots will overrun us anyway and kill the human race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

West Brom, Brighton & Olympiakos all interested in Mitrovic

Burnley interested in Ritchie

West Ham interested in Shelvey

Saviet available for £5 million

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, trooper said:

West Brom, Brighton & Olympiakos all interested in Mitrovic - Sell to the Greeks, Pardew can go whistle, Brighton are our competition. 

Burnley interested in Ritchie - Get to fuck.

West Ham interested in Shelvey - Sell at end of season.

Saviet available for £5 million - We'll be lucky to get half a million. Snap off the hands of anyone interested.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Noelie said:

 

It does baffle me a bit too, negotiations can be carried out secretly behind closed doors long before a window opens, and when the window opens...........voila!

 

Example case;  Chelsea's Diego Costa deal with Ath. Madrid was done in September but he was not eligible to play for them until January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amanda Staveley offered to help with Newcastle United’s efforts in the January transfer window.

The Chronicle say that the bidding group made an ‘offer to aid’ United with buying new players to help stave off relegation but discussions ‘did not prove fruitful’.

If this is true Rafa could have had a nice budget to spend. Instead it looks like he'll probably get a pittance from Ashley. It makes you wonder if Ashley's  trying to piss Rafa off so he walks so he can get another "yes man" in Mark Hughes ?

Edited by trooper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Recent tweets

Toontastic Facebook

Donate to Toontastic

Keeping the lights on since... well ages ago
TT-Staff


×