Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Because you were scared I would pick holes in your hyperbole?

Well, I suspected you'd try to rather than display any interest in discussing the book. Looks like I got that right

I've never read any Irvine Welsh. Never thought he was for me as I've never done the horse.

I doubt i will any time soon either, but I'll add some to my Goodreads and the best intention will do for now.

you shouldn't let that put you off. you can still relate if you're a piss head or a coke head or an occasional pill monster or football hooligan or sexual pervert. most of us fall into at least one of those categories.

Actually I was thinking more of James Kelman and Alasdair Gray.

Funny you should mention that. Do you think Kelman would've won the Booker Prize if Trainspotting hadn't come out the year before?

Question seconded, I've not read it but I am curious why it would be held up as that over anything else.

It's a superb book, not claiming it's better than XYZ but if you haven't read it you must. (Provided you can manage the words/slang which I imagine would be harder for people South of Durham).

I've never read this book but I will now. The fact Renton likes it makes me think it might be shit.

:lol: You struggle with Game of Thrones.

You've got no chance understanding the phonetic languages, characters, and complexities of trainspotting. I'd just give it a miss if I were you.

you shouldn't let that put you off. you can still relate if you're a piss head or a coke head or an occasional pill monster or football hooligan or sexual pervert. most of us fall into at least one of those categories.

Woo hoo, I knew being a horrible pervert would pay off.

I've never read any Irvine Welsh. Never thought he was for me as I've never done the horse.

I doubt i will any time soon either, but I'll add some to my Goodreads and the best intention will do for now.

You don't need to have done heroin etc to like the book. :lol:

No idea but Kelman had a novel out prior to Trainspotting which achieved critical acclaim.

I think it's pretty obvious he wouldn't have. It was shit as well. You read it like?

Funny you should mention that. Do you think Kelman would've won the Booker Prize if Trainspotting hadn't come out the year before?

No idea but Kelman had a novel out prior to Trainspotting which achieved critical acclaim.

this review of Trainspotting from 93 mentions Kelman...

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/1993/aug/15/featuresreview.review

As long as it's obvious to you that's alright then.

Tell you what, tell me what you thought about the novel and why you thought it was a worthy winner.

this review of Trainspotting from 93 mentions Kelman...

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/1993/aug/15/featuresreview.review

I guess he was an influence. I'd never heard of him before 94 but you would tend to study Scottish Literature more in Scottish schools. I guess Alexander Trocchi would've been too, although he didn't write in the dialect. The difference between Welsh and someone like Kelman (How Late it was, How Late is the only novel of the latter I've read) is that the former is accessible and popular. That Kelman book was like wading through treacle. I read it at university for a course of post-War British novels. It was only picked, I would suggest, because of its recent award. I don't think a single person I spoke to enjoyed it if they were being honest.

I guess he was an influence. I'd never heard of him before 94 but you would tend to study Scottish Literature more in Scottish schools. I guess Alexander Trocchi would've been too, although he didn't write in the dialect. The difference between Welsh and someone like Kelman (How Late it was, How Late is the only novel of the latter I've read) is that the former is accessible and popular. That Kelman book was like wading through treacle. I read it at university for a course of post-War British novels. It was only picked, I would suggest, because of its recent award. I don't think a single person I spoke to enjoyed it if they were being honest.

It won the Booker, but I think at least one judge resigned from the committee because they thought it was "shit" :lol:

Are you sure? The ones who like it on here seem to be all the massive smackheads. Buttoned down, level headed folk like Gemmil and KCG have no time at all for it. Need the @@StraightEdgeWizard to make the call.

Think Gloomy has already answered this. I'm not or never was a smack head. If you've taken anything, been on the piss, grew up in working class environments then this should help.

Think Gloomy has already answered this. I'm not or never was a smack head. If you've taken anything, been on the piss, grew up in working class environments then this should help.

Was not serious.

You meth fiend ;)

Sorry I can't contribute any intellectual discussion to this thread but I did see The BFG yesterday and as someone who adored the book as a child (and an adult) I approached it with a degree of trepidation, desperately hoping it wouldn't ruin it for me. I'm happy to report that I loved it, and Spielberg really has done it justice.