Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Zero Days

Alex Gibney's 2016 doc on the US/Israeli Stuxnet attack on Iranian nuclear facilities was the Storyville on bbc4 tonight. Up there with all Gibney's work. Very chilling look at the cyberwar landscape in the aftermath of Bush and Obama unleashing a major new weapon but only managing to slow the nuclear program in Iran for a year.

It'll be on iPlayer for a while and I recommend it if, like me, you know little about it.

Arrival.

Everything I see Amy Adams in these days she puts on a good performance.

This is a more intelligent Sci-fi film than some I've seen recently and it was a decent ending aswell. It was substance over style for a change.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

The Eyes of My Mother is a must watch for true nerds of psychological horror.  

Please don't recommend or watch this with anyone who isn't prepared to be properly disturbed though!

Watched 'the beast' last night. It's called 'beast of war' on kodi. Watched it years ago, Jason Patric is in a Soviet tank that is part of an attack on an Afghan village where they brutally murder a load of Afghans. His commander is a butter and they get lost down a pass and are tracked down by the Mujahedeen who capture Patric who eventually helps the Afghans get the tank after he's left to be murdered by the commander. An under the radar film at the time which shows the mujahedeen in a decent light and slags the Soviets. Obviously this could be spun around in recent times so is in a way even more interesting in retrospect.

Jason Patric is in a Soviet tank that is part of an attack on an Afghan village where they brutally murder a load of Afghans. 

Not really in the mood for slapstick tonight but cheers for the recommendation.

Lion

Had my first little cry after an hour.  Then sporadically for the next half hour, then pretty much constantly for the last half hour.  As did most other people in the cinema.  Never made such a show of myself in public before.  The little kid in it is unbelievable.  Shame he's not getting more plaudits than the adult stars.

Got tickets for Hacksaw Ridge on Sunday...

The Milford Daily News called the film a "masterpiece", adding that it "is going to end up on many 2016 Top 10 lists, that should get Oscar nominations for Best Actor, Best Director and Best Picture."[60] Maggie Stancu of Movie Pilot wrote that "Gibson made some of his most genius directing choices in Hacksaw Ridge, and Garfield has given his best performance yet. With amazing performances by Vince Vaughn, Teresa Palmer, Sam Worthington and Hugo Weaving, it is absolutely one of 2016's must-see films."[61] Mick LaSalle of SFGate called the film "a brilliant return for Mel Gibson, which confirms his position as a director with a singular talent for spectacle and a sure way with actors."[62] In The Film Lawyers, Samar Khan called Hacksaw Ridge "fantastic" and emphasised "just how wonderful it is to have Gibson back in a more prominent position in Hollywood, hopefully with the demons of his past behind him. If Hacksaw Ridge is any indication, we are poised for a future filled with great films from the visionary director."[63] The Telegraph awarded the film four stars and added: "Hacksaw Ridge is a fantastically moving and bruising war film that hits you like a raw topside of beef in the face – a kind of primary-coloured Guernica that flourishes on a big screen with a crowd.”[64]

The Guardian also awarded the film four stars and stated that Gibson had "absolutely hit Hacksaw Ridge out of the park."[65] The Australian’s reviewer was equally positive, stating that, as a director, "Gibson’s approach is bold and fearless; this represents his best work to date behind the camera."[66] Rex Reed of Observer rated the film with four stars and called it "the best war film since Saving Private Ryan. It is violent, harrowing, heartbreaking and unforgettable."[67] Michael Smith of Tulsa World called Hacksaw Ridge a "moving character study" and praised both the direction and acting. He observed: "It’s truly remarkable how Gibson can film scenes of such heartfelt emotion with such sweet subtlety as easily as he stages some of the most vicious, visual scenes of violence that you will ever see. ... Hacksaw Ridge is beautiful and brutal, and that’s a potent combination for a movie about a man determined to serve his country, as well as his soul."[68] IGN critic Alex Welch gave the film a score of 8/10, and praising it as "one of the most successful war films of recent memory" and "at times horrifying, inspiring, and heart-wrenching."[69] Mike Ryan of Uproxx gave the film a positive review, praising Gibson's direction, and saying: "There are two moments during the second half of Mel Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge when I literally jumped out of my seat in terror. The film's depiction of war is the best I’ve seen since Saving Private Ryan."[70] Peter Travers of Rolling Stone gave the film 3.5 stars and praised it as "the best war film since Saving Private Ryan and wrote: "Thanks to some of the greatest battle scenes ever filmed, Gibson once again shows his staggering gifts as a filmmaker, able to juxtapose savagery with aching tenderness." He added: "t is violent, harrowing, heartbreaking and unforgettable. And yes, it was directed by Mel Gibson. He deserves a medal, too."[71] Matt Zoller Seitz for RogerEbert.com gave 2.5 stars out of 4 and described it as "inept and beautiful, stupid and amazing."[72]

La La Land.

Didn't think I'd like it after the first ten minutes. Glad that I stuck with it though, I was blown away by the end. Absolutely fantastic.

Watched 2 films last night.

Fantastic beasts and where to find them was the first, I really liked it tbh, while it was pretty predictable it was interesting throughout.

Then watched Masterminds, it's always hard to go into a movie you think is going to be a bit shit after watching a high budget one like Fantastic beasts. Despite that it was ok, I guess mainly as I didn't have high hopes for it, I thought Jason Sudeikis had a few funny moments and Galifianakis was funny enough throughout to make it enjoyable enough. Dan Bilzerian was randomly in it for 2 minutes if anyone knows who he is. We watched Galifianakis' other recent film the other week, Keeping up with the Joneses, and both movies were probably on par with each other tbh.

Incredibly you won't think that what you've just written is a spoiler. But of course it is.

It's just an opinion that I don't consider it a great ending. The people I went with disagreed.

Another spoiler for you, La La Land is average.