Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Once in a life time

The story of the New York Cosmos "soccer" team and the doomed North American soccer league.

Superb documentary.

Once in a life time

The story of the New York Cosmos "soccer" team and the doomed North American soccer league.

Superb documentary.

Most of you will have heard about the Zidane film that's out. Has anyone seen the George Best one?

Zidane arrives in cinemas simultaneously with the rediscovery at festivals of an earlier and very similar work, Football As Never Before by the German director Hellmuth Costard, in which eight 16mm cameras track George Best through 90 minutes at Old Trafford in late 1970 as Manchester United beat Coventry 2-0. It's a nothing game, and Best was already bent upon drowning his gifts in white wine. But like Zidane, the film is a time-and-motion study, wherein the audience learns nothing about team formation but rather - through the fabled integrity of long lens and long take - is urged to appreciate individual mastery. Best and Zidane repay our attention, instructing us in what becomes a legend most.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/review/3421/

Both those films sound shit tbh.

Playercamtastic.

I can't imagine anyone persevering with Playercam for more than 30 seconds, tops.

I said the same to wor lass when I heard about the Zidane one. I meant that and the George Best one btw Zath. The NY Cosmos one sounds canny good.

Both those films sound shit tbh.

Playercamtastic.

I can't imagine anyone persevering with Playercam for more than 30 seconds, tops.

I said the same to wor lass when I heard about the Zidane one. I meant that and the George Best one btw Zath. The NY Cosmos one sounds canny good.

:blink:

Agree Ewerk, the ending was as weak as piss. It was a good film imo, but not a masterpiece and not want I'll be wanting to watch again in a hurry. I also found the whole shared girl friend thing pretty contrived.

The Departed.

Just got back from watching it. Spot on by Rents & to a certain extent Ewerk.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Right, maybe I'm just being dense but is there any way of using the search function to skip straight to a specific post? I've just watched Todd Solondz's "Happiness'' and I know it's been mentioned on here before, but I'm buggered if I'm wading through 107 pages to find out where...

Right, maybe I'm just being dense but is there any way of using the search function to skip straight to a specific post? I've just watched Todd Solondz's "Happiness'' and I know it's been mentioned on here before, but I'm buggered if I'm wading through 107 pages to find out where...

What a film. :blink:

What a film. :D

Bit of an eye-opener, isn't it? I was hoping to read some alternative views before even trying to start working out what I made of it. :blink:

What a film. :D

Bit of an eye-opener, isn't it? I was hoping to read some alternative views before even trying to start working out what I made of it. :blink:

It might have been me who mentioned it as I saw it for the first time about 6-12 months ago. It's a strange one isn't it? Quality though. There are some class performances but (as usual) Hoffman steals though the show.

'Happiness' - Basically a series of interlocking stories that are about lust, perversion, middle America, loneliness, coming of age (excuse the pun, if you've seen it) and paedophilia! Phillip Seymour Hoffman is class, as always as a bloke who rings up random lasses in the phonebook to knock one off while asking them what they're wearing. It's a funny film (in both senses of the word) and I would definitely recommend it. I thought the way the paedophile was portrayed as a seemingly normal middle class dad was both scary and (probably) as realistic as the media stereotypes of these people. Luckily there are no actual scenes of child abuse taking place.

158374[/snapback]

The Russian singing in his brown underpants is hilarious.

Storytelling is another hilarious Todd Solondz film you might want to try. I still haven't seen welcome to the Dollhouse which is meant to be his best.

Got it on DVD... weirdest fim i've ever seen :blink:

From Here To Eternity

I've been watching loads of old films recently and thoroughly enjoying their upbeat outlook, they always cheer you up unlike the cynical modern films. I thought I'd get a nice cheer up off this love story set around Pearl Harbour 50's film, but christ it's bleak. I wanted to top myself. Bloody good though.

From Here To Eternity

I've been watching loads of old films recently and thoroughly enjoying their upbeat outlook, they always cheer you up unlike the cynical modern films. I thought I'd get a nice cheer up off this love story set around Pearl Harbour 50's film, but christ it's bleak. I wanted to top myself. Bloody good though.

How many movies do you watch per week?

From Here To Eternity

How many movies do you watch per week?

Normally 3 or 4.

Give the man a cigar.

Probably got 2000 bookmarks tbh.

Nah, I would have if you couldn't just type "happiness" in the 'search topic' box.

Oh piss. Why have I never noticed that before? :blink: Cheers!