Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Man of Steel - 6.5 . Started well and i liked that they went more with the "he is an alien" angle. The last 1/4 of the movie is just boring. How many buildings can you get can you get thrown through????!!! I thought Cavill was good though. His direction was awful.

The last 1/4 of the movie is just boring. How many buildings can you get can you get thrown through????!!!

This is the problem with EVERY superhero movie. Exacerbated by the fact that they're all far too long.

This is 40

A very funny tale about life being married with children in your 40's.

Only problem is most of you arnt so won't really "get it" in the same way.

A bit long at over two hours but some very funny life observations make it worth it.

6.7 / 10

This is 40

A bit long at over two hours but some very funny life observations make it worth it.

6.7 / 10

I didn't find it funny at all which was dissapointing given that the characters were very funny in Knocked Up.

This is 40

:lol:

Superman. As others have said, the bits about him growing up on earth were the best bits. The CGI Transformers type fight scenes got boring in the end. I actually groaned at the last one, it was totally unnecessary and just seemed tacked onto the end of the story

Finally got round to watching The Dark Night Rises. Absolutely brilliant film.

What do you think about the last shot?

When Alfred sees Bruce & Selina in Florence. Think I agree with Mayo - would kinda work better if the film ends before you see who Alfred is looking at - ie "the top keeps spinning" - although perhaps it would be a bit cod if DKR ended the same way as Inception

It didn't feel as bad as the tacked on ending of Shawshank Redemption. I can see why it would annoy, but it had built more than enough good will with me.

Good that it pays homage to the original film too...

batmangif.gif

Dredd - Surprisingly good. Thought it would be dire but very tight film, just on the right side of comic book, cheese action, and CGI. Haven't been brought into a 90 minute film's context so much for a while, the attention to detail was brilliant and the sets looked fantastic. Definitely worth a look.

The House At The End Of The Street - Complete Shit.

It didn't feel as bad as the tacked on ending of Shawshank Redemption. I can see why it would annoy, but it had built more than enough good will with me.

Good that it pays homage to the original film too...

batmangif.gif

How should Shawshank end then?

How should Shawshank end then?

With Red on the bus. The bit where he finds Andy in a tropical paradise working on his boat is pure producer interference.

It also built up enough good will to get away with it and I still love Shawshank... But I was more annoyed with it.... Because it's supposed to be all about Hope... better if we finish the film in the hope that red finds Andy.

I thought it was just ok. It would have made a lot more sense if it had been based on a true story. As a standalone piece of fiction I found it a really odd story to come up with.

Denzell Washington was great though.

The improbability of his behaviour (and how bad it is) versus the improbability of his heroics creates the tension and is strong enough to force the audience in 2 different directions.

A fiction allows the strength of tension between these opposites so that the audience is torn between the standard good/bad judgement. Until the end of course....

Edited by ChezGiven

]With Red on the bus. The bit where he finds Andy in a tropical paradise working on his boat is pure producer interference.

It also built up enough good will to get away with it and I still love Shawshank... But I was more annoyed with it.... Because it's supposed to be all about Hope... better if we finish the film in the hope that red finds Andy.

Ah, interesting. The theme of hope is explored quite comprehensively through Andy's time in Shawshank, and it's hope again that makes Red skip his parole. I don't think you need to spell it out further by not having them meet. Plus I don't think there's that much ambiguity left once he gets on the bus after reading Andy's letter.

Edited by luckyluke