Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

10 Cloverfield Lane. At least two different films in one and it felt a bit like the Cloverfield thing had just been tacked on to a different film. But I still thoroughly enjoyed it even if it wasn't as good as the trailer and (at least part of) the ending was a bit daft.

Hail Ceaser. Not one of the Coen's best films but one of their most easily enjoyable.

How To Plan An Orgy In A Small Town. Pretty decent sex comedy aimed at adults rather than the younger aim of the likes of American Pie.

re 10 Cloverfield Lane,

heard a few reports that it would have been better served if it had been called something else, because you go into it expecting there to be something alien/supernatural/weird. I think they would have been better served calling it "The Bunker" or whatever, then reveal that it's part of the same universe with easter eggs and clues throughout the film (maybe paper articles about the New York attack somewhere in the bunker, spoken references to that monster, or the like). That way the reveal would be hinted at so when it comes it doesn't feel like too much of a genre switch, but you would still have that uncertainty; is he a survivor of an alien attack or just a run of the mill psycho.

re 10 Cloverfield Lane,

heard a few reports that it would have been better served if it had been called something else, because you go into it expecting there to be something alien/supernatural/weird. I think they would have been better served calling it "The Bunker" or whatever, then reveal that it's part of the same universe with easter eggs and clues throughout the film (maybe paper articles about the New York attack somewhere in the bunker, spoken references to that monster, or the like). That way the reveal would be hinted at so when it comes it doesn't feel like too much of a genre switch, but you would still have that uncertainty; is he a survivor of an alien attack or just a run of the mill psycho.

Yeah I thought exactly the same thing.

It certainly takes some of the mystery out of the earlier parts of the film. The whole is John Goodman (that man needs to lose some weight before he joins David Bowie and Admiral Akbar) just a nutter or is the outside threat real, is taken away by the name of the film. Although they do have the scene with the woman outside fairly early on which shows there certainly is something going on.

• 3 weeks later...

THe Force Awakens

Better than the three prequels but a bit too reverant and similar to the first one. Carrie Fisher looked disappointingly old (I know she's had a hard life) and you have to wonder how much Mark Hamill got for his "work".

Just back from Civil War, loved it.

The three big set pieces didn't disappoint, but I'd be surprised if they did these days. My lass who I've dragged along to a few of these loved it as well, and she wouldn't recommend it if it was shit.

Definitely got me hyped for the new Spider-Man and the Black Panther movies too.

The three big set pieces didn't disappoint, but I'd be surprised if they did these days. My lass who I've dragged along to a few of these loved it as well, and she wouldn't recommend it if it was shit.

Definitely got me hyped for the new Spider-Man and the Black Panther movies too.

This Spider-Man was the best film version of him by a country mile. He was the right bloody age for a start! Panther was well done too, managed to get introduced, have a back story and get involved throughout the film without ever getting off the main track too much.

I really hope there will be more Spider-Man now, no origin story needed as he's already established so we don't need to see uncle Ben get it for the 3rd time in 15 years.

Can't quite understand why Civil War isn't an Avengers movie.

This film nicely sets up movies for Black Panther and Spider-Man, it pulls Bucky and Ant-Man into the mainstream MCU, it establishes device plots that will be used again (the Raft chief amongst them) but does through a Captain America viewpoint. Avengers deal with global annihilation events, not politics and policing.

If it was an Avengers movie, more would have had to made of the absence of Thor and Hulk and the new Avengers (Vision, Scarlet Witch, Falcon) needed to be integrated asap ahead of Infinity War, but don't need standalone movies.

Also, Chris Evans and RDJ have a certain number of films on their contracts, so it makes sense to have Cap complete his trilogy, keeping him free for cameos/appearances in other character's movies. Rather than a tacked on movie that doesn't really push forward his story arc, or that of the other characters either.

Civil War is at least forty five minutes too long. The first hour drags despite all the action. It picks up when Spider-Man appears and I enjoyed it from then onwards. Certainly not the best marvel film. Not even sure it's better than the last avengers.

Was ok. I enjoyed the first one but I wouldn't be keen to watch the second one again.

Yeah I felt similar, I didn't like that every character was doing little quips like Tony Stark.

Ronaldo documentary

Enjoyed it. For a man so vain he's also very insecure though. Dad died an alcoholic, mother openly admits she didn't want him. His agent seems to have more influence on him than anyone. The situation with his son is very strange too, wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he comes out of the closet at some point in the future

Edited by StraightEdgeWizard

• 2 weeks later...