Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

I caught myself thinking what perhaps Luc Besson would have done with it, all stylized and shiny moments master that he is (but with a big heart)...Big Blue, Nikita, Leon. Even with all the film photoshopping in the world Inception is totally bereft of any kind of cinematic soul, it is just a blustering roller coaster of special effects and floating bodies and snowfields and iconic beaches and gargantuan imagined citiscapes and all that happens within these dry over used cinematic vuvuzelas is of little consequence. The idea that dreams are personal, emotional, hair triggered subconscious forms is completely lost within 20 min.

Truth be told this is Nolan's 'The Last Airbender'.

I caught myself thinking what perhaps Luc Besson would have done with it, all stylized and shiny moments master that he is (but with a big heart)...Big Blue, Nikita, Leon. Even with all the film photoshopping in the world Inception is totally bereft of any kind of cinematic soul, it is just a blustering roller coaster of special effects and floating bodies and snowfields and iconic beaches and gargantuan imagined citiscapes and all that happens within these dry over used cinematic vuvuzelas is of little consequence. The idea that dreams are personal, emotional, hair triggered subconscious forms is completely lost within 20 min.

Truth be told this is Nolan's 'The Last Airbender'.

Put the pipe down and shut the fuck up.

The idea that dreams are personal, emotional, hair triggered subconscious forms is completely lost within 20 min

So, the fact that

Cobb's subconsciously conjuring up the image of his wife and kids, almost sabotaging the mission in moments of emotion was missing from your version of the film?

As for the "personal" side of those things, Fisher's "safe" contains, literally, the most personal thing in the world to him. So, in essence, either you were hating it before you'd even seen it or you were watching it in some kind of LSD-enhanced stupor.

The idea that dreams are personal, emotional, hair triggered subconscious forms is completely lost within 20 min

So, the fact that

Cobb's subconsciously conjuring up the image of his wife and kids, almost sabotaging the mission in moments of emotion was missing from your version of the film?

As for the "personal" side of those things, Fisher's "safe" contains, literally, the most personal thing in the world to him. So, in essence, either you were hating it before you'd even seen it or you were watching it in some kind of LSD-enhanced stupor.

Rosebud..

I wasn't alluding to the content of dreams (shlock hugo boss dressed nonsense that is purveyed here, along with cod minimalist central europa cool architecture - and if that isn't deprersonalised and corporate cool enough, there is the silly slick hair they all have). I was alluding to the lack of sensitivity, the lack of cogent direction, the lack of characters actually talking in a scene together that isn't just here's a quick explanation of what is about to happen...Ultimately you don't care about characters if they spend the whole time running around in a blur and spinng tops on shinny tables who's only use here is to drive the narrative forward.

And the thing has to be 'in a safe at the end' so we can have all the meaningless action to get to it. Here's the news buddy, the deepest recesses of your mind isn't in the pages of World of Interiors mixed with Gucci and House of Lavin.

Nobody cared about the motivation of the main characters so much were they just verbalising the insanely gimmikery action set forth.

There were many moments in the cinema when people just tittered at the ridiculous dialogue.

Edited by Park Life

Well I saw Inception last night and thought it was class. It was quite long, as modern films often are, but didn't drag. Reminded me a lot of the matrix, but way less cheesey. Here's hoping Nolan doesn't spoil it by releasing two awful sequels - the matrix would still be seen as a great film by most if the second two were never released.

Inception gets an 8 out of 10 from me

The A-team.

Had zero expectations, but it's actually entertaining. Obviously it's one were disbelief is obliterated, not merely suspended, but there are some genuinely funny moments, the action scenes are decent and their does seem to be chemistry between the actors.

Face and Murdoch are both well done, the bad guys are ok and Neeson strolls through the lead. Some great lads moments in it as well.

Shutter Island - Very good and deserved the plaudits. I didnt really know what it was about before I watched it and found the story pretty good. Another that moves at a decent pace and keeps you interested throughout.

Shutter Island - Very good and deserved the plaudits. I didnt really know what it was about before I watched it and found the story pretty good. Another that moves at a decent pace and keeps you interested throughout.

Some bastard ruined it for my by telling me

it just turns out he's crazy at the end

. Was well raging cause it looked good :scratchchin:

Some bastard ruined it for my by telling me

it just turns out he's crazy at the end

. Was well raging cause it looked good :D

erm....

no he wasn't

thought it was excellent

Twilight 2

These films aren't meant for people approaching middle age are they? I find myself wanting to punch the screen.

Kids in these films (actually 24 year olds) fall into 2 categories:

1. Mean and moody serious adult type kids who have the weight of the world on their shoulders. The question of whether they should date one boy or another (or neither) is treated like it's the weightiest issue anyone has ever struggled with in the history of the planet. It's as if the makers are pondering if there can be a two state solution in the middle east, but films like Lebanon actually have more of a sense of humour than these little shits.

2. Fucking idiots only interested in shopping and prom dresses. Treated with disdain by the film-makers, their lives aren't interesting enough to play any actual part in the film. They're just there so the main character looks popular, rather than being the outsider, billy no-mates she really would be in reality if if she went on like she does.

I think you're supposed to root for the miserable kids. They get all the lingering slow motion and arty farty 360 degree shots. Teenagers will root for them too, aspiring to have grown up relationship type problems as they tend to. Personally though I would prefer to spend a bit more time with the group of kids that were having a bit more of a laugh. They seemed like far more fun and I wondered what they were up to while Bella sat in the house for 3 months then repeatedly tried to kill herself beacuse her boyfriend was gone.

Anyone that pays taxes saying they personally enjoy these films should lose the right to vote because their intellectual growth was severely stunded before they reached college. Stuff like this has it's place, like The Telletubbies generally appeals to the under 5's this should only appeal to virgin girls.

I'm on team Jacob.

Edited by Happy Face

For anyone who hasn't seen it - There Will Be Blood is on BBC2 later on tonight.

Quality film.

i wasn't a big fan of that. thought day lewis was irritatingly hammy (as he was in gangs of new york). plus it was way too long.