Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

It's getting rave reviews from the critics. I can't see why, without actually seeing it....

Usually you won't see something if you don't see it.

Indeed. After watching it, I could not in all honestly believe the same person who crafted the characters and storyboard of Alien was the same person behind that pile of cack. It actually made me appreciate Alien even more, if that were even possible.

Alien and Aliens are benchmark sci-fi and they have worn well. I got the blu ray boxset just recently and was taken aback how well these films still carry over time. The dark claustrophobic interiors is like being inside the body of a great monster, never mind the actual monsters. The biggest gaff with Prometheus is how glossy and shiny and well lit most of it is. No visual mystery. What should have happened is that all that new fangled tech should have stopped working as soon as they arrived with them paranoid and bumbling about in red emergency lighting. :)

Edited by Park Life

Gandhi. Good film, he reminds me a lot of me.

Mrs P can't get through it she says it's too moving. Twice I've tried to make the Parky crew watch it and twice I've failed.

Alien and Aliens are benchmark sci-fi and they have worn well. I got the blu ray boxset just recently and was taken aback how well these films still carry over time. The dark claustrophobic interiors is like being inside the body of a great monster, never mind the actual monsters. The biggest gaff with Prometheus is how glossy and shiny and well lit most of it is. No visual mystery. What should have happened is that all that new fangled tech should have stopped working as soon as they arrived with them paranoid and bumbling about in red emergency lighting. :)

There was never a sense of being stalked, hunted by a terror. It was really disappointing when it should have opened up the mythology of the series and made new directions available for sequels.

There was never a sense of being stalked, hunted by a terror. It was really disappointing when it should have opened up the mythology of the series and made new directions available for sequels.

It's the biggest fuck up of a franchise I've witnessed in my lifetime. Truly tragic stuff. :lol:

It blows my mind that Scott was so off key with Prometheus...It shows how tight the script (O'Bannon - Schusset) must have been for Alien - 'truckers in space concept'. Also the smaller budget gives for more ingenuity in most cases.

There were 3 other scripts in consideration for Prometheus (can be found as pdf on interwebs) and at least one of them is massively superior imo.

Edited by Park Life

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

This is really fucking random, but as I read that I got a text from the bairn's dad saying that there's mayhem in the classroom next to his as the supply teacher has a glass eye and is tapping it with a pencil as he teaches :lol:

Prometheus was better on second viewing. I think the cave art directing humans to the planet pre-dates the decision to wipe out humanity. The engineers get killed by the dodgy slime about 2000 years ago. I think the idea was that a decision to kill off humanity was taken but something went wrong and the engineers got killed whilst putting in place their plan. All the cave art on earth is much older than that so I guess the inference is that something happened on earth about 2000 years ago which triggered the decision.

Prometheus was better on second viewing. I think the cave art directing humans to the planet pre-dates the decision to wipe out humanity. The engineers get killed by the dodgy slime about 2000 years ago. I think the idea was that a decision to kill off humanity was taken but something went wrong and the engineers got killed whilst putting in place their plan. All the cave art on earth is much older than that so I guess the inference is that something happened on earth about 2000 years ago which triggered the decision.

Noelie's birth?

Second views are like a letter from a friend, you start filling in the blanks yourself...There is already a relationship with the material. The main problem with it is that two people worked on the script independently and months apart. The characters are undeveloped and haphazard in their motivations.

There was the makings of a good film in there somewhere, just the dialogue, characters, motivations and acting was awful. Which is kind of important. And they ripped off Independence Day of all things with the kamikaze ship thing.

I quite enjoyed Prometheus but I watched it having no clue it was associated with anything else.

Sure it was a bit wank, but what isn't nowadays?