Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Watched 'John Carter' as I thought my youngest would like it, (she did), and because I loved the Mars books by Edgar Rice Burroughs that this was based on. It was ok for that sort of thing but was a mile away from being anywhere near the classic books which was a shame personally and I really didn't like how they tinkered with the story. The actor and actress playing John Carter and Dejah Thoris just didn't cut the mustard or get anywhere near the characters. (Dejah Thoris wasn't scantily clad enough, either). :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

X-Men: Days of Future Past. It got the lot:

[x] Superheroes

[x] Time travel

[x] Jennifer Lawrence

[x] A genuinely interesting concept/plot

[ ] The last 45 minutes given up to a ridiculous CGI fight sequence

All superhero films should be like this.

X-Men: Days of Future Past. It got the lot:

[x] Superheroes

[x] Time travel

[x] Jennifer Lawrence

[x] A genuinely interesting concept/plot

[ ] The last 45 minutes given up to a ridiculous CGI fight sequence

All superhero films should be like this.

Yes, yes, give in to the cravings. Join the geek side.

Saw the new Avengers last night, it was canny enough. Were all the characters a bunch of comedian wannabes last time? I can't remember, as this time they were all trying to crack some Downey Jr style one liners even Spader's robot was in on the action. Scarlett Johansson was worth watching as usual though.

The trailers before the movie though, Hollywood is getting lazy as fuck! Star wars, Jurassic world, Terminator and Mad Max :lol: I'm sure they'll be canny enough but they're just rebooting 80's franchises rather than trying to do much new.

In 15 of the last 17 years the highest grossing film of the year has been a sequel/franchise. Studios love them as they're low risk/high reward.

Not a shock then, I can sort of see why as a lot of people I know won't bother going to the cinema unless it's one of these big action movies that "you have to see in the Cinema", most are happy to wait for dramas and comedies rather than spend the mental money a cinema trip is.

Aye does look dross tbh, John Connor's the bad guy in it which sort of makes them all pointless doesn't it? The one thing they've been working to save and he turns into a bad guy and comes back in time to kill them all.

Watched 'in Bruges' last night. Not too bad a film but won't stay in the memory too long more for the Feinnes character towards the end.

In Bruges is a cracking film, man.

Watch it again soon- almost every scene has a classic quotable line.

I watched Calvary recently, which stars Brendan Gleeson, from In Bruges ( seamless segue there ;) )

I'd recommend it for a chilled out Sunday evening, but only if you're not feeling depressed or owt, as it's not a happy happy film.

Reboots are the spawn of the devil. There is nothing worse than having a reboot ruin the memory of a much loved and cherished childhood movie experience.

Based on the godawful trailers, Mad Max appears to be about to join that very long list for me. Not only for seemingly overdosing on CGI just for the sake of it, but for completely missing the point of why the original was so compelling. I can't believe they've got him on the trailer basically telling people why he's pissed off. Idiots.

I rarely go to the flicks these days anyway - I was in the Metrocentre recently, and just on the off chance I thought I'd go see what was screening. There's nothing more depressing than looking up and seeing this:

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* Avengers

* a rom com

* that horror about facebook

Fuck off you stupid twats. I couldn't care less what the fuck the Avengers even are, so I'm unlikely to shell out the best part of £15 to find out. It's not like I'm a niche market - I'll watch any action/sci-fi/thriller/war story, just as long as it doesn't require me to find comic book characters exciting. When I was 12 I wasn't reading the fucking Beano and dreaming of being Superman, I was using my fake ID to sneak into the Terminator and then day-dreaming in school about being John Connor. I only even learned how to ride a motorbike just in case I am him.....

In Bruges is a cracking film, man.

Watch it again soon- almost every scene has a classic quotable line.

I said it wasn't too bad, man!

I thought the 'Harry' character spoiled the film a bit which was pretty good up till then. Must be the cockney accent and typical cockney-film gangsta type patter which puts me off. (As a bonus, I did get to see more of Bruges than I did in the UEFA cup where I was a bit pissed and pissed off with the ticket situation).