Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Fanboys can see the nuances between the films. Normal people understandably just find them all by the numbers, formulaic,  CGI filled superhero films.

And to say it doesn't impact on cinemas is bollocks. I had a rare chance to go to the cinema on Saturday and couldn't because 75% of screens/showings were taken up by Avengers starting every 45mins. Every other film was on late afternoon 

Then they're too stupid to live. If you're incapable of seeing the difference between Ant Man and Winter Soldier e.g., you should stick to Big Mommas House and Sherlock Gnomes.

What movie did you want to watch?

49 minutes ago, The Fish said:

:lol: 

Give over man, a good film is a good film. It doesn't matter the genre. If Nolan releases a new trilogy of critically and commercially successful Aquaman movies you'd enjoy them fine. You could go to the cinema every week and watch a non-Marvel movie if you wanted, so if you're watching all of them and complaining about it, you're a putz. 

I don't really understand the complaints about the number of Superhero movies coming out, when there's still variety at the cinema and when TV is outstanding. You have an array of options to choose from, Disney's conveyor belt of superheroes isn't preventing you from watching whatever you want. I think modern chart music is terrible, so I listen to Radio 6Music instead.

The good news is that Marvel are trying to vary the style and tone of their movies so it mitigates the saturation for poor lost souls like you. Ragnarok was excellent, as was Black Panther and the two were very, very different styles of movie. Ant Man 2 looks like another heist movie. New Mutants looks like a light-horror. These aren't simply Origin movie clones.

fwiw Disney's take on the Star Wars franchise have, thus far, been a success imo and much, much better than the previous trilogy. 

there are too many super hero movies these days, and most of them i bother to watch are shit. so far disney has done a decent job with the new star wars stuff, but a new one every year is too much. 

I've always liked Superhero movies and as I've previously said I really enjoyed the new Avengers one.  But I agree with Gloomy that there is just too many of them these days.  I think it's more Superhero Fatigue than Spiderman Fatigue (the new film was just boring).  Fish is right that there is plenty of other options out there if you want to go to the cinema and see something else.  I go most weeks and I do get to see plenty of different types of films.  What I do feel though is that the options of action films these days is limited and disappointing.  It seems that all we get is either a Marvel, a Fast & Furious or Liam Neeson doing his latest version of Taken.  The variation and quality certainly appears to have dropped.  

KD is also right, if you don't get a chance to go to the cinema often and are unfortunate enough to try and go a time when the latest Marvel (or Star Wars) film is in full swing, you can be very disappointed in the options you have.

Anyway I managed to catch some of Casablanca and The Princess Bride yesterday morning.  Two great bank holiday films.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

there are too many super hero movies these days, and most of them i bother to watch are shit. so far disney has done a decent job with the new star wars stuff, but a new one every year is too much. 

There's not a finite number of films produced a year. Marvel Studios pumping out 2 blockbusters a year doesn't stop Manchester by the Sea or Get Out coming out.

I don't think your issue is the number of Superhero movies, I think it's the quality of some of them. If each one was as good as, say, Logan or Deadpool, you surely wouldn't mind?

37 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Fish is right

Started and stopped reading there, tbh.

Aren't there plenty of Action movies out there, that aren't based on a comic book? Off the top of my head; Rampage, Jurassic Park, Fast & the Furious, Robin Hood, Pacific Rim, King Kong/Godzilla, whatever vehicle for Jason Statham is on at the minute etc. ?

24 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Started and stopped reading there, tbh.

Aren't there plenty of Action movies out there, that aren't based on a comic book? Off the top of my head; Rampage, Jurassic Park, Fast & the Furious, Robin Hood, Pacific Rim, King Kong/Godzilla, whatever vehicle for Jason Statham is on at the minute etc. ?

Aye, and most of them are horrific too.

It's mostly just fun to rip the piss but if I can make my serious post of the year, the popularity of these kids' movies drag down the industry as a whole (by making the studios recycle it more and more).  Though you're right that there's still room for Three Billboards and the like so maybe I'm just a snob. 

I don't mind them existing but I do mind them being very generously rated by supposedly serious critics.  Between that and the infestation of fake reviews on IMDB it's getting quite hard to get honest reviews for genuinely worthwhile movies (and mediocre horror movies).

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

There's not a finite number of films produced a year. Marvel Studios pumping out 2 blockbusters a year doesn't stop Manchester by the Sea or Get Out coming out.

I don't think your issue is the number of Superhero movies, I think it's the quality of some of them. If each one was as good as, say, Logan or Deadpool, you surely wouldn't mind?

i'm less inclined to watch them because of the volume - it feels like churn to me.

deadpool is a rare exception to the rule, i quite enjoyed that one, but i've given up on more than a few superhero films - disney just sees it as a massive cash cow to rinse. a better approach would be to spend more time making fewer films, but make them better. i would rather see a top quality star wars film every few years than see an average one come out every year but i fear they will simply repeat the approach they took with the marvel stuff. the world doesn't need more avenger movies or x men origin stories. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm less inclined to watch them because of the volume - it feels like churn to me.

deadpool is a rare exception to the rule, i quite enjoyed that one, but i've given up on more than a few superhero films - disney just sees it as a massive cash cow to rinse. a better approach would be to spend more time making fewer films, but make them better. i would rather see a top quality star wars film every few years than see an average one come out every year but i fear they will simply repeat the approach they took with the marvel stuff. the world doesn't need more avenger movies or x men origin stories. 

Deadpool was just Chandler from Friends as a superhero. I enjoyed the original Iron Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy was ok. Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy was canny too. Beyond that I struggle to sit through a whole film 

Not that I've watched / managed to sit through that many but a lot seem to be at least 45 mins too long. Without even checking I would guess the latest Avengers one is at least 2 and a half hours

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Time doesn't necessarily equal quality though. Some terrible films are years (and hundreds of millions) in the making, and others take no time and have a modest budget but are great. 

The world doesn't need 99% of the movies that come out, and there are far far worse movies that cost similar amounts. The Michael Bay movies are a prime example.

There's not a finite number of movies that can be produced and the fault doesn't lie with Marvel for being successful and dominating the box office, it's the other studios not coming up with anything to challenge their current dominance. 

2 hours ago, adios said:

Aye, and most of them are horrific too.

It's mostly just fun to rip the piss but if I can make my serious post of the year, the popularity of these kids' movies drag down the industry as a whole (by making the studios recycle it more and more).  Though you're right that there's still room for Three Billboards and the like so maybe I'm just a snob. 

I don't mind them existing but I do mind them being very generously rated by supposedly serious critics.  Between that and the infestation of fake reviews on IMDB it's getting quite hard to get honest reviews for genuinely worthwhile movies (and mediocre horror movies).

Does it drag it down, or are you just getting older and find yourself outside the demographic that make up majority of the cinema going public? I don't see them recycling the ideas now, and even the recent origin movies are markedly different to those that began the "universe". Were it not for the deliberate effort to tie them all in, you'd not necessarily know that Guardians of the Galaxy was in anyway linked to Captain America: Winter Soldier, or Thor.

The ratings and reviews are a side issue for me, I think that some critics rate them for what they are, rather than against things like the Godfather or Three Billboards, which is why you'll never see a Superhero movie actor picking up an Oscar for his portrayal of a talking tree. Take away all the superpowers and maybe, but by their very nature they won't receive genuine critical acclaim (and rightly so).

I tend to go off the opinions of people I trust, rather than IMDB or whatever. 

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Does it drag it down, or are you just getting older and find yourself outside the demographic that make up majority of the cinema going public?

I've always found myself outside of that demographic.  Thank fucking Christ. :razz:  

1 minute ago, adios said:

I've always found myself outside of that demographic.  Thank fucking Christ. :razz:  

It's weird, when I was a kid nobody read comics, and they were very much counter culture, but now they're mainstream af

Actually that's not fair, I was probably right in their demographic when I was about 6.  As are my nephews/nieces of similar age now.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

It's weird, when I was a kid nobody read comics, and they were very much counter culture, but now they're mainstream af

I was disdainful of my comic-reading friends back then too.  I think I've always just been a cunt tbh. :lol:  

25 minutes ago, adios said:

Actually that's not fair, I was probably right in their demographic when I was about 6.  As are my nephews/nieces of similar age now.

I'd go and see a Whizzer & Chips movie tbf.

• Haha 1