Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Good read on why people aren't prepared to just bounce back to normality and what the govt could do to help make it happen. 

Aye, agreed with that. Distrust in the government, by their own doing, will continue fucking the economy. We all suffer ultimately though.

Can I just call bullshit on this:

The first wave was a disaster but now the chance of infection is very small and infection then death (for most) very small indeed.

Australia didn't do to bad on the first wave, to the point where Victoria had less than a handfull of cases with no community infection just a few returning travellers who were in quarantine (in a hotel).

Then some of the security guards for the hotel get bored, shag a couple of equally bored quarantinees and three weeks later the community transmission rate just in Melbourne is growing by 200-300 people a day, with some of the infected now spreading it into NSW.

Chance of infection is not small and anyone that thinks so is a stupid cunt.

Humans, architects of their own extinction through idiocy and ignorance.

• Like 1

Fucking bastids, the lot of you. 

So the incidence rate is currently 0.02% (95% CI 0.01 to 0.005%) per week. Probably less, that data is nearly 2 weeks old. In crude terms, at the present rate of infection an individual will contract it in about 96 years on average, I think, if rates stay the same. I fancy the odds on there being a working vaccine before then. Big unknown is what happens in winter. 

Key point that people like CT miss of course is this is all down to the social interventions taken already and ongoing. It's amazing how many people don't understand this. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sammynb said:

Can I just call bullshit on this:

Australia didn't do to bad on the first wave, to the point where Victoria had less than a handfull of cases with no community infection just a few returning travellers who were in quarantine (in a hotel).

Then some of the security guards for the hotel get bored, shag a couple of equally bored quarantinees and three weeks later the community transmission rate just in Melbourne is growing by 200-300 people a day, with some of the infected now spreading it into NSW.

Chance of infection is not small and anyone that thinks so is a stupid cunt.

Humans, architects of their own extinction through idiocy and ignorance.

The infection rate is currently very low in the UK though, if people strictly observe social distancing. If you're in an exponential phase in Melbourne you need to lock down. 

And Vallance has stated SAGE advised the government to lockdown a week earlier. Means Johnson is essentially responsible for thousands of deaths. Unreal he can survive this. 

32 minutes ago, Renton said:

Key point that people like CT miss of course is this is all down to the social interventions taken already and ongoing. It's amazing how many people don't understand this. 

It’s remarkable isn’t it? 

You could literally see the difference lockdown made from space :lol: 

To add to crossing their fingers and hoping it all goes away they're going to stop publishing the daily deaths - the buffoon is now just so far up Trump's arse it's actually amusing. 

The number of new coronavirus cases rose by nearly 260,000 in 24 hours - the largest single-day increase since the pandemic began, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said. This is the first time the number of new daily infections has surpassed a quarter of a million, with the biggest increases in the US, Brazil, India and South Africa. There are now more than 14 million confirmed cases, according to the tally kept by US-based Johns Hopkins University.

I went to B&Q this morning (with mask) and they were handing out free masks at the door as an informal condition of entry. 

Most people took them off and pocketed them within a few yards of the entrance. 

I really wish the virus was exclusive to cunts. 

• Like 2
  • Jaysus... 1

17 minutes ago, NJS said:

I went to B&Q this morning (with mask) and they were handing out free masks at the door as an informal condition of entry. 

Most people took them off and pocketed them within a few yards of the entrance. 

I really wish the virus was exclusive to cunts. 

I was there last week and vast majority didn't have a mask. I didn't have a mask last night when I nipped out in a hurry to get some bits and bobs from Sainsburys and felt guilty I forgot mine. Ratio was closer to haves/have nots in Sainsburys than it was in B&Q in North Shields.

Edited by Howmanheyman

Was up in the borders at the weekend, everyone masked and santiser at the doors of even the smallest shops, went to local hotel bar, visored and masked staff, didn't need mask if you were a punter but tables all well spaced.

I desperately need to solve the glasses steaming up issue with the mask though :rolleyes: Maybe I should get a monocle for when I need to read something :)

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

Was up in the borders at the weekend, everyone masked and santiser at the doors of even the smallest shops, went to local hotel bar, visored and masked staff, didn't need mask if you were a punter but tables all well spaced.

I desperately need to solve the glasses steaming up issue with the mask though :rolleyes: Maybe I should get a monocle for when I need to read something :)

Wash your lenses with Fairy liquid- should stop them fogging up for quite a while. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Aye I've got that problem. Reducing the chance of getting the virus, but increasing the chance of getting hit by a car. 

• Haha 2

Mix it with a bit of water, obvs, rub it over the lens( both sides), then wipe them off with dry paper towels. 

It should keep them from fogging long enough to do your shopping. 

Shaving cream also works. :good:

Can't believe all you four eyes haven't had them lasered yet - I think I've recommended it a few times. 

Okay might not be the best time to have minor surgery but still....