Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

27 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Well I go for a pub lunch with my elderly widowed Grandmother every year and couldn't last year, or even be in the same room as her. She sat in and ate hers on her own. So aye, I know you're angry over there on the far left but Christmas isn't just for kids.

Sorry to hear that mate, no one likes missing out on a free lunch.

• Haha 3

The health secretary has said it is going to be a "great Christmas" as he defended not imposing stricter restrictions to combat the new COVID variant

Lets see were we are in 3 weeks time when it gets reviewed before making such a bold statement. 

Edited by trooper

Working from home where possible is recommended by Sage and thought to be the single most effective policy in preventing spread. So of course he rules it out 

This is sounding pretty shit isn’t it. I really really can’t be arsed with it anymore. I blame myself for confidently declaring to colleagues the other day that the worst of the pandemic was behind us 

58 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Was involved with a 40ish year old bloke on intensive care last week. No pre-existing medical issues, wife expecting a baby. He's currently intubated and a 50/50 chance of dying from COVID.

Also, half of the nurses in my team have had COVID twice now and a chunk are still carrying long term symptoms.

Avoiding catching COVID will always be preferable to catching it just so you're immune for the next 6months. Intensive care is full of non vaccinated people dying. 150-200 a day, every single day

But that's a completely different point. My point was that there's a lot of natural immunity in the population because of persistently high case numbers, which should help reduce transmission of a vaccine resistant variant. I wasn't in any was being an anti-vaxer. But I think people already knew that.

13 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

But that's a completely different point. My point was that there's a lot of natural immunity in the population because of persistently high case numbers, which should help reduce transmission of a vaccine resistant variant. I wasn't in any was being an anti-vaxer. But I think people already knew that.

Well you can forgive people for the confusion given you have previously posted on this board that you wouldn't be getting the booster as catching covid gives you better immunity. In fact, that's a drum you've been beating for months on here, ignoring the fatal flaw (1000s of them) in that plan 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Well you can forgive people for the confusion given you have previously posted on this board that you wouldn't be getting the booster as catching covid gives you better immunity. In fact, that's a drum you've been beating for months on here, ignoring the fatal flaw (1000s of them) in that plan 

No I didn't give that reason at all. I also said if an updated version of the vaccine was made as a booster that I would probably get it. Feel free to quote to a single post where I've said I wouldn't get a booster because catching Covid gives better immunity.

55 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

This is sounding pretty shit isn’t it. I really really can’t be arsed with it anymore. I blame myself for confidently declaring to colleagues the other day that the worst of the pandemic was behind us 

Whatever steps they take, they won’t be ahead of the curve. It’ll be far too late, again. You’ve got a health secretary who ideologically against taking pretty much any measures at all. 

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

Whatever steps they take, they won’t be ahead of the curve. It’ll be far too late, again. You’ve got a health secretary who ideologically against taking pretty much any measures at all. 

They’re obviously going to react too late as they have consistently since March last year but honestly I don’t envy any policymaker at this stage in the pandemic. 

We’ve have had a taste of freedom these past few months and I don’t think tight restrictions or lockdowns will be tolerated again unless it’s another code red situation with the NHS on the brink. On the other hand this is clearly the direction of travel if we don’t act and the worst fears about the new variant are confirmed.

57 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

No I didn't give that reason at all. I also said if an updated version of the vaccine was made as a booster that I would probably get it. Feel free to quote to a single post where I've said I wouldn't get a booster because catching Covid gives better immunity.

This doesn't sound like you saying you would probably get a booster?

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

If its any consolation, I blame you too. ;)

It would take a wuhan style lockdown to stop this if it's vaccine evading, which it looks like it is. Hopefully the vaccines will still provide some protection against severe illness for most people. 

40 minutes ago, NJS said:

Javid really is a snivelling little shit - claiming working from home costs too much in economic and mental health terms - usual lack of proof of course. 

Tbf, when Mrs. F. is working from home it does my fucking head in. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

THIRD British case of Omicron 'super-mutant' is detected in London as contact tracers urgently hunt for church-goers and KFC visitors linked to outbreaks in Essex and Nottingham.

Essex County Council said the targeted testing affects anyone who visited the KFC in Brentwood High Street on November 19, between 1pm and 5pm. The authority said it also affects people who attended Trinity Church in Pilgrims Hatch on November 21

Given this has come to light some 7 to 9 days later the chances are this mutation has already unknowingly 

been spread far & wide around the country. Boris has a 3 week gamble before we'll be going into an Xmas stealthy lockdown by then the schools will be closed for the Xmas break.

6 hours ago, NJS said:

Javid really is a snivelling little shit - claiming working from home costs too much in economic and mental health terms - usual lack of proof of course. 

Thats why a mix of both is the way forward. It's not healthy to work from home everyday and the work/life boundary blurs and it's difficult to switch off. 1 or 2 days a week at home is mint though. Extra hour in bed, do the school run etc. 

I've worked from home for the last 17 years and I'm completely normal.

giphy.gif

But aye, I do tend to agree really. It's not for everyone and to be honest, if my company had an office here I'd be up for going hybrid. So to speak.

• Haha 2

I think Boris & his "rugger chums" know more about this mutation than theyre letting on. I think they're doing the bare minimum regarding masks. I'm not sure why they're waiting until Tuesday to make them mandatory.