Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I’m a master of many trades.

I’m not saying it’s going to be an instant recovery but we are well positioned to recover reasonably quickly. The banks are in a fairly strong position, people aren’t losing their homes, jobs are on furlough not disappeared. Some businesses won’t survive but for the majority it will be like turning the lights on again after a period in pitch black.

the IMF thinks we're heading for a 1930s style depression and some commentators think their growth estimates are optimistic. 

There was a economics dude on the TV t'other day and he said it wasn't close to the 30s depression and said we aren't in a great place and the rest of the year will be a struggle but he was expecting once things re-open things should start to gain confidence etc.

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

There was a economics dude on the TV t'other day and he said it wasn't close to the 30s depression and said we aren't in a great place and the rest of the year will be a struggle but he was expecting once things re-open things should start to gain confidence etc.

if things reopen in June and life goes back to normal then, which i think is wildly optimistic, i agree with that prediction. if life continues like this for a year or more, then we are looking at a global depression - because, like renton said, this time it really is a global crisis - unlike 2008, when China recovered quickly, with growth of 9% powering recovery in commodities.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

if things reopen in June and life goes back to normal then, which i think is wildly optimistic, i agree with that prediction. if life continues like this for a year or more, then we are looking at a global depression - because, like renton said, this time it really is a global crisis - unlike 2008, when China recovered quickly, with growth of 9% powering recovery in commodities.

Oh aye, I think that's fair to say.  At the moment the situation is fluid and nobody knows at the moment.

i'm going full gloom here but the political consequences of this crisis lasting until late 2021 are wildly unpredictable. we would almost certainly see social unrest, and who knows what kind of political landscape? hitler would never have won power without the great depression

35 minutes ago, Renton said:

I fundamentally disagree. Problem is this is global, every country in the world will go into recession at the same time. There will be very little demand to drive recovery. Already the average family are down £500 a month. Certain sectors are facing oblivion. In fact maybe most. Tourism and leisure, honestly think it may take a decade to get back. Retail, construction, a lot of manufacturing. Then add Brexit on top. Yipee. 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51adf89c2343208b66f80

Edited by Kid Dynamite

47 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The winter nights must just fly by round your gaff Gloom :)

it happened in less than an hour tbh. :lol:

i've seen less enthralling netflix dramas 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

i just watched the price collapse over 100% minute by minute. not going to forget that in a hurry. 

Do one of your jigsaws to try and recapture the excitement. :lol:

• Haha 2

In short, someone at the department of health has created a bunch of fake NHS staff twitter accounts and is posting in defence of the govt. Read the thread. 

This is fucking outrageous behaviour by a government that is completely out of control. 

• Like 7

Well it looks like it's not the government based on the way this is snowballing.

Utterly disgusting. Actually using pictures of NHS staff without their permission as well. It is indeed out of control.

• Like 1

It's an unverified Twitter user so always worth a bit of skepticism.

Obviously I would never trust the government, they've got form, I get that, but still..

This is a huge accusation.

Edited by Rayvin