Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

How relevant is it to consider population in these figures? It's the oft cited response from the right, and I'm curious. I can see the argument that a great population effectively means greater susceptibility. 

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

How relevant is it to consider population in these figures? It's the oft cited response from the right, and I'm curious. I can see the argument that a great population effectively means greater susceptibility. 

Per capita measurements make more sense. I think if we apply that, we are comfortably the worst performing large country in the world. The caveat is that international comparisons are complicated by a host of factors such as population age distribution and density. We're not dissimilar to Germany in those respects, not a favourable comparison. 

• Like 1

I accept that London being the business centre and diverse, densely populated place it is is some differentiator but even allowing for that I still think it's shocking. 

I see Shapps whinging about full public transport after people are told to return to work - I'm not sure if they're genuinely ignorant of the world, willfully stupid or deliberately murderous. 

Probably a combination of all three. 

The FT's reporting this morning that the property market is set to reopen. So strangers are permitted to enter your home for a physical viewing but family members aren't. 

• Jaysus... 1

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The FT's reporting this morning that the property market is set to reopen. So strangers are permitted to enter your home for a physical viewing but family members aren't. 

It’s probably a fairly low risk activity to be fair if the viewers wear masks and gloves.

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It’s probably a fairly low risk activity to be fair if the viewers wear masks and gloves.

plus seeing family at home doesn't generate tax

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the devolved administrations don't yet consider it low risk 

It is though. People view a house and walk through it, if they've PPE on then it shouldn't be a problem. People are likely to keep masks and gloves on visiting family, they're more likely to sit down and share cups, glasses etc. It's not the same.

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It is though. People view a house and walk through it, if they've PPE on then it shouldn't be a problem. People are likely to keep masks and gloves on visiting family, they're more likely to sit down and share cups, glasses etc. It's not the same.

you can't even see family in your front garden, according to the guidance. only one of them at a time. in the park.

20 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

you can't even see family in your front garden, according to the guidance. only one of them at a time. in the park.

Alright there, CT.

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm in no rush to see any of my family, tbh. just struck by the contradictions and confused messaging 

It's not contradictory. It applies in a very, very limited situation. Allowing families to meet would mean a much larger movement of people and interactions.

Just now, ewerk said:

It's not contradictory. It applies in a very, very limited situation. Allowing families to meet would mean a much larger movement of people and interactions.

it sounds like they're making it up as they go along to me 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Heartless cunt. :lol:

i've never talked to them more, thanks to zoom and facetime. sick of the sight of them tbh

• Haha 3