Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

It can't be good for you, living in constant fear of the worst-case scenario

I'm not living in any fear. Nor am I burying my head in the sand. I just thought it was an interesting thread, please feel free to ignore it and stop talking shite about my mental health. 

33 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, maybe read the thread from a professor in epidemiology. The vaccine don't completely chin the virus, especially the Astra Zeneca one, and especially one dose (only 30% effective against Indian variant). There's a 3 week lag between infection rates and hospital admissions. I think its highly likely we are heading for a third wave. Because of Johnson's rank incompetence. 

YvJB6ot.gif

• Haha 2

I think we probably are headed for some sort of a bumpy ride. Daily cases are on their way up and there's enough still not vaccinated for there to be an impact.

Whether it'll be a proper third wave, or just a bit of an uptick, who knows. Thoroughly sick of this government repeating its mistakes though. 

You latch onto anything and predict worst case outcomes. Trade deals will end UK farmers. Brexit will destroy our lives. Tories will savage the country. Covid will wipe us all. Can we just accept that it usually won't be that bad?

I'm not remotely following this anymore though. It's definitely not good (for me at least) to be tracking covid twitter or live news updates. I see the daily cases just cos they're prominent on news sites I visit. 

I click on good news stories about the vaccines. Everything else can suck it. 

Edited by Gemmill

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

You latch onto anything and predict worst case outcomes. Trade deals will end UK farmers. Brexit will destroy our lives. Tories will savage the country. Covid will wipe us all. Can we just accept that it usually won't be that bad?

FFS! I merely posted a thread from a professor of epidemiology which gave a measured assessment of the situation. This isn't about optimism or pessimism, it's about objectivity. And it should also be about accountability, because the Johnson has let this happen by pursuing a trade deal with India. But you're right, you and the large majority of the public won't give a shit until its too late. 

i went to a pub on saturday. sat indoors around a table with 6 mates for the first time this year, listened to some live music. it was good 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

FFS! I merely posted a thread from a professor of epidemiology which gave a measured assessment of the situation. This isn't about optimism or pessimism, it's about objectivity. And it should also be about accountability, because the Johnson has let this happen by pursuing a trade deal with India. But you're right, you and the large majority of the public won't give a shit until its too late. 

It's not about giving a shit. It's just stoicism. It'll happen irrespective of whether I worry about it. So I won't.

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

It's not about giving a shit. It's just stoicism. It'll happen irrespective of whether I worry about it. So I won't.

That's fine, that's your choice. I do this stuff for a living so have a different perspective. Just ignore my posts. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

That's fine, that's your choice. I do this stuff for a living so have a different perspective. Just ignore my posts. 

Do you? Genuinely interested. Are you dealing with the pandemic in your new role?

i wouldn't be surprised if johnson's dithering does prolong the misery when it almost looked like we were over the worst of it, but it is beyond our control and i'm definitely past the stage where i am obsessing over the daily numbers.

i'm buzzing to be able to enjoy some relative normality again after what was probably the longest and grimmest winter ever. in the past month i've been back in the office and the gym three days a week, out to the pub and some restaurants. it does wonders for your mental health and wellbeing - just getting out of the house and interacting with other humans, who aren't in your immediate family. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

3 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Do you? Genuinely interested. Are you dealing with the pandemic in your new role?

More in general, evidence based medicine, but my company do have a contract with BionTech so it's quite likely I will get some work on vaccines in the near future. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

More in general, evidence based medicine, but my company do have a contract with BionTech so it's quite likely I will get some work on vaccines in the near future. 

I wouldn't bother giving it much gusto, we're all going to die anyway

When the roadmap for coming out of it was laid out it seemed very optimistic. Trouble is, that gave people hope and it makes it very difficult to go back on. Especially if you’re as desperate to be popular as the PM. And you’d wonder how many would observe it anyway if you had local lockdowns etc. You can’t even get people to wear masks without a sizeable majority whinging or making out they’re some sort of libertarian freedom fighter for not wearing one. Hopefully the vaccine rollout will be enough to avoid a repeat of last year.  

1 minute ago, Alex said:

When the roadmap for coming out of it was laid out it seemed very optimistic. Trouble is, that gave people hope and it makes it very difficult to go back on. Especially if you’re as desperate to be popular as the PM. And you’d wonder how many would observe it anyway if you had local lockdowns etc. You can’t even get people to wear masks without a sizeable majority whinging or making out they’re some sort of libertarian freedom fighter for not wearing one. Hopefully the vaccine rollout will be enough to avoid a repeat of last year.  

Libertarians are cunts.

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

North Tyneside back in lockdown...if you’re thinking that you missed this news then you’re wrong, the advice changed on Friday but no one from government bothered to tell local authorities because...? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57232728

• Avoid travelling in and out of affected areas unless it is essential, for example for work (if you cannot work from home) or education

So that's my booking for Centre Parcs this weekend fucked again, I've already had to cancel three times. So fucking sick of this, all because the cunt Johnson was desperate for a post-Brexit trade deal with India. First-world middle class problems maybe, but after the fucking sickening year I've had I really needed a break. This also sets a precedent. Looks like even UK holidays won't be on the cards this year. 

Missed this, and cannot be arsed to google and/or ask my folks because neither would give a comprehendible answer. Would this impact Seaton Sluice? My twice-jabbed parents are supposed to come visit this weekend.

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

So that's my booking for Centre Parcs this weekend fucked again, I've already had to cancel three times. So fucking sick of this, all because the cunt Johnson was desperate for a post-Brexit trade deal with India. First-world middle class problems maybe, but after the fucking sickening year I've had I really needed a break. This also sets a precedent. Looks like even UK holidays won't be on the cards this year. 

bollocks to that. they'll be telling us to holiday in the uk to help out in the summer