Callum Wilson

wykikitoon

1 hour ago, strawb said:

He just doesn’t get involved in the games, they seem to pass him by. Even when he is scoring he doesn’t add a lot else.

I think he probably has a knock and is playing through it so I’m probably being harsh but we need another striker in the summer 

Honestly, I think that's a result of the way we play with the players we have available. He'd be more involved if we played with Barnes and Murphy. Hell, he'd be more involved if we had managed to play with a settled first 11. 

I do think we need a new striker though.

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye was gonna say the same. Isak even more so at times tbh.

Difference is that Isak's was down to having issues in both knees and then an awkward groin injury which he's young enough to recover from without issue. Wilson's is his age and a mountain of serious injuries down the years all starting to stack up.

I think we need to adapt a little to get the most out of him, as he's never going to be pressing defenders for 90 minutes, but if he gets a yard of space in the box it's almost always a goal. Definitely not finished, but we may need to try something a bit different until Isak is back to really get the best out of Wilson.

Two inside forwards cutting in all game pretty much takes him out of the equation half the time as they either shoot or play through balls he doesn't have the pace to get on to. As @The Fish has said, it works better with Murphy out right as it pulls a centre back out wide and then him and Trippier can fire balls in which Wilson has the space to bury.

• Like 2

It's fucking hard graft being a lone striker in a team set up like our's and that's part of the reason why both Wilson and Isak look isolated at times.

But also, they both have limitations, Wilson isn't as quick as he once was and Isak is slight in build and sometimes looks like he's being bullied out of the game.

Problem is unless we get fortunate enough to find a Haarland or Drogba or Shearer in their prime, the team needs to find away to play around its limitations.

BTW I didn't say Wilson is shot just he's at that stage where he shouldn't be relied upon to be first choice, even second if we want to fulfil the aspirations the club have.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, sammynb said:

It's fucking hard graft being a lone striker in a team set up like our's and that's part of the reason why both Wilson and Isak look isolated at times.

But also, they both have limitations, Wilson isn't as quick as he once was and Isak is slight in build and sometimes looks like he's being bullied out of the game.

Problem is unless we get fortunate enough to find a Haarland or Drogba or Shearer in their prime, the team needs to find away to play around its limitations.

BTW I didn't say Wilson is shot just he's at that stage where he shouldn't be relied upon to be first choice, even second if we want to fulfil the aspirations the club have.

if we can recruit a top class striker in their prime in january to compete with isak as the main man, it would leave wilson as third choice striker. he'd be an absolutely quality option as third choice CF, but would he accept that at this stage of his career? i dunno 

2 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Im not sure he is quite as finished as some think. Sounds like he is carrying an issue as well and they are trying to manage him through a bunch of  games.

he still has loads to offer but he has lost a yard of pace since coming back from the world up last season. he struggled to beat hummels in a foot race last night. 

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he still has loads to offer but he has lost a yard of pace since coming back from the world up last season.

He's averaged a goal every 83 minutes since the WC. He can definitely still do a job.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he'd be an absolutely quality option as third choice CF, but would he accept that at this stage of his career? i dunno 

You can bet, Sandro can get you the odds, he must definitely would. He knows we are going to win a trophy in the, sooner than later, future and no other club he’d end up at will give him that opportunity.

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he struggled to beat hummels in a foot race last night. 

Hummels does only need to take one step to every two of Wilson’s.

14 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He's averaged a goal every 83 minutes since the WC. He can definitely still do a job.

I agree he still has loads to offer but he may have to slightly alter his game as shearer was forced to towards the end of his career as he no longer seems to have that explosive burst of pace he had when he signed.

And we may need to alter the system when Wilson plays. He comes alive in the box. We need him to play in and around the penalty area and try to get the midfield closer to him.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

TBF Isak has looked as equally isolated at times when playing.

The difference is that Isak is more likely to drop deeper and drift wider to try and find the ball. Wilson wants to hang around the box (which is fair enough). 

I think if we had a settled team, Isak would link up with Bruno et al, but Wilson would remain more of a poacher. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John0024 said:

He needs support from the midfield.

Wilson is fantastic finisher.

He is only 92,000 pounds per week.

Newcastle United Players Salaries 2023-24

We need more good players, it is very difficult to play in parallel on three fronts.

In Carabao Cup we had more attractive opponents than in Champions League. We are very unlucky with the opponents we got in the cups.

We needs fully fit Alexander Isak and Callum Wilson.

Welcome John.

Welcome To The Team GIF by Teddy Too Big

• Haha 1

It's true though, he's a finisher not a creator, when do you ever see him go on a run and beat his man? Even with a head start he often gets pulled in. Howe has used him effectively off the bench, that's where he's best. Early on he likes to get physical with the defenders which can be useful for others later, but if we're not getting balls to him in the box he's not very effective.