The new manager thread

Polarboy

Of the people we could conceivably get at present, I'd have perhaps edged Potter over Emery. I know it sounds a bit daft when you consider Emery has won 4 Europa leagues, but Potter does really seem to be the next up and coming manager. Potter obviously knows the league, is a very competent coach, improves average players, and gets his teams playing some great stuff. I mean if you look at Brighton's squad it's far more balanced, but apart from Lamptey and that new lad in midfield they don't have people on the level of ASM, Wilson, and Willock when he isn't carrying an injury, yet he's getting a great tune out of his squad. The argument may be that Emery could attract a higher calibre of player, but Potter does have a growing reputation, and money talks at the end of the day. Having said all this I'm more than willing to give Emery a go given his CV.

Yeh given who He’s replacing it’s a great appointment. Bruce was a terrible manager when his heart was in it but he’s been phoning it in this season. 

The players barely trained ffs :lol:

2 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Of the people we could conceivably get at present, I'd have perhaps edged Potter over Emery. I know it sounds a bit daft when you consider Emery has won 4 Europa leagues, but Potter does really seem to be the next up and coming manager. Potter obviously knows the league, is a very competent coach, improves average players, and gets his teams playing some great stuff. I mean if you look at Brighton's squad it's far more balanced, but apart from Lamptey and that new lad in midfield they don't have people on the level of ASM, Wilson, and Willock when he isn't carrying an injury, yet he's getting a great tune out of his squad. The argument may be that Emery could attract a higher calibre of player, but Potter does have a growing reputation, and money talks at the end of the day. Having said all this I'm more than willing to give Emery a go given his CV.

I think the idea is to go for a proven manager rather than an up and coming type

• Like 1

Just now, thebrokendoll said:

a quick visit to rtg and it would appear emery is shite and they'd rather have simon grayson.

Ah yes but the third division is a superior league because every game is a cup final. Or something

• Haha 2

I’d be really happy with Emery. He’s a very successful coach looking at his record, and honestly he did well at Arsenal especially when you look at what they’ve been like since he left. I’d be confident he’d steer us well clear of the drop. 

7 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Would agree with you on Potter, he's got Brighton playing some great stuff, but I think Emery probably has a bit more experience and knowhow having worked in different countries. 9 trophies? I'll have a bit of that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I think Emery es able to get the best of the players too. 

In his first experience, he get a Lorca, a bad team in 2Div B (League One in Spain). 

The team was in the middle of the table when he arrived (in January) and ended in 4th positition. Played the Playoff and get promoted to 'Championship'. Lorca is a team had never played before in the second category. And his first year, he ended 5th, only 3 points to get promoted to Primera División.

Later, he took Almería, a team in Second Division. He get promoted in his firstt year (and this year, Lorca ended 23º) to Primera Division

In Primera Division with Almería he ended 8º, the best historical positicion of the team. And this squad has level to fight for not relegation. He had 3 very good players, but very young, as Negredo, Felipe Melo and Diego Alves and was this period with Emery when they improve his level.

Obviously, Potter knows better English competition.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Maupay is a very decent striker and isn't injured half of the time. Wilson won't be good enough for our bench in 2 seasons

Maupay is decent, but he's a 1 in 3 striker. Wilson has proven himself to be 1 in 2 when fit, and has 4 in 6 this season. Maupay has never got past 10 in the league, and doesn't offer the same assist ability as Wilson. So yeah Maupay has a better injury record, but that's all he has over Wilson.

Edited by Polarboy

2 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

In his first experience, he get a Lorca, a bad team in 2Div B (League One in Spain). 

The team was in the middle of the table when he arrived (in January) and ended in 4th positition. Played the Playoff and get promoted to 'Championship'. Lorca is a team had never played before in the second category. And his first year, he ended 5th, only 3 points to get promoted to Primera División.

Later, he took Almería, a team in Second Division. He get promoted in his firstt year (and this year, Lorca ended 23º) to Primera Division

In Primera Division with Almería he ended 8º, the best historical positicion of the team. And this squad has level to fight for not relegation. He had 3 very good players, but very young, as Negredo, Felipe Melo and Diego Alves and was this period with Emery when they improve his level.

thanks for the intel - i love your posts as they are always well-informed

do you reckon emery was treated harshly/unfairly at arsenal? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

This is all great information, thanks for the detail. 

Oh sure, when Diego goes full bore he gets showered with praise, when I do it it's all "Shut up Dave", "Fuck off Fish".

This is bullshit.

• Haha 8

It's brave of Emery to go straight into the dugout for Saturday's game if some of the reports are to be believed. Given how little time he'll have with the players, a lot of managers would have watched from the stands and took over the reigns on the Monday. Obviously it would be a dream scenario for him to come in and get three points before the international break. It could set us up nicely with the teams around us having some tough games.

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

thanks for the intel - i love your posts as they are always well-informed

do you reckon emery was treated harshly/unfairly at arsenal? 

Hahaha Thanks to you.

I think Emery did well in Arsenal. You have to analised. 

In his first year, he ended 5th with 70 points (Chelsea was 3rd with 72) anf he was finalist in EL aginst Chelsea. One year before, Wenger ended 6th with 63 points and he was. What they expected? I mean... Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United was better than Arsenal and Spurs was at the same level. And Arsenal defence was very very very poor. He did very well.

In second year, he was sacked in 13rd week when he was 8th in League (just 1 point to 5th). But he was the manager improve and bet for Saka and Martinelli...

I think he did well.

Edited by Diego21
  • Like 1

Just now, Diego21 said:

Hahaha Thanks to you.

I think Emery did well in Arsenal. You have to analised. 

In his first year, he ended 5th with 70 points (Chelsea was 3rd with 72) anf he was finalist in EL aginst Arsenal. One year before, Wenger ended 6th with 63 points and he was. What they expected? I mean... Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United was better than Arsenal and Spurs was at the same level. And Arsenal defence was very very very poor. He did very well.

In second year, he was sacked in 13rd week when he was 8th in League (just 1 point to 5th). But he was the manager improve and bet for Saka and Martinelli...

I think he did well.

I don't have to do anything I don't want to 😉🤣

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

It's brave of Emery to go straight into the dugout for Saturday's game if some of the reports are to be believed. Given how little time he'll have with the players, a lot of managers would have watched from the stands and took over the reigns on the Monday. Obviously it would be a dream scenario for him to come in and get three points before the international break. It could set us up nicely with the teams around us having some tough games.

It's Brave also going from a team that's in Europe to a team that's second from bottom of the PL and playing like a fucking Sunday League pub team.

• Like 2

Aye there’s all this talk of unfinished business in the league and all that shite. He’s likely just looked at what the Saudis are worth and wants a piece

• Like 1

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread