The new manager thread

Polarboy

Was thinking that maybe the big deal they are working on is ten Hag and Overmars together as a package. I mean ten Hag has been seriously mentioned as a contender for the Man U job, so he's obviously well thought of. Then maybe if ten Hag doesn't want to leave this far into the season they'll get someone like Farve to work with Overmars until or if ten Hag wants come at the end of the season. Overmars going by some journalists comments seems a lot more gettable than ten Hag given he's been there ten years, there's a limit to what he can achieve at Ajax, and he supposedly would be up for a new challenge. 

Yeah maybe, but if we threw enough money at him he might accept. Plus if he were to come in and turn around our season it would be a great shop window for him for another job in the league. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Was thinking that maybe the big deal they are working on is ten Hag and Overmars together as a package. I mean ten Hag has been seriously mentioned as a contender for the Man U job, so he's obviously well thought of. Then maybe if ten Hag doesn't want to leave this far into the season they'll get someone like Farve to work with Overmars until or if ten Hag wants come at the end of the season. Overmars going by some journalists comments seems a lot more gettable than ten Hag given he's been there ten years, there's a limit to what he can achieve at Ajax, and he supposedly would be up for a new challenge. 

Any manager worth their salt is going to tell you to get fucked for a "get us to the end of the season" job. Big Sam and cunts like that are happy to take those roles and the money but someone like Farve wants a chance to build something.

Everyone knows how I feel about Rafa and I think the new owners fucked up by not putting him and his team on retainer/gardening leave, at least for 12 months, if they honestly still thought they were going to get the club.

Their ability to have a plan in place is not looking good.

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Rafa was the best manager we could hope for under Ashley... he isn't anymore though..  :cuppa:

Rafa is elite. He'd do allsorts with a bankroll. That wouldn't necessarily involve trophy signings but he'd build a successful side without question.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Rafa was the best manager we could hope for under Ashley... he isn't anymore though..  :cuppa:

That kind of wasn't my point, it was more:

A. They should have had a plan in place as they knew it would have happened in the next 12 months or not at all.

B. Money grabbing cunts like Fat Sam are the only managers that will be willing to take the team now until the end of the season and any decent manager will tell them to get to fuck because those guys want a challenge for the future.

Especially considering we will be looking at players in January, so what's the point in signing a bunch of players to keep us in the league only for the "real" manager who takes over next season to then not want them?

31 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Any manager worth their salt is going to tell you to get fucked for a "get us to the end of the season" job. Big Sam and cunts like that are happy to take those roles and the money but someone like Farve wants a chance to build something.

Everyone knows how I feel about Rafa and I think the new owners fucked up by not putting him and his team on retainer/gardening leave, at least for 12 months, if they honestly still thought they were going to get the club.

Their ability to have a plan in place is not looking good.

I doubt very much if Rafa would be prepared to go on gardening leave for a year in the hope that the takeover would go through. Not realistic to expect PIF to commit to that extent either considering the politics they were up against. Let's be honest, how many people on here actually thought the takeover was definitely going to happen?

14 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

I doubt very much if Rafa would be prepared to go on gardening leave for a year in the hope that the takeover would go through. Not realistic to expect PIF to commit to that extent either considering the politics they were up against. Let's be honest, how many people on here actually thought the takeover was definitely going to happen?

Yeah I get that, regarding Rafa and the take over but they had a lot more info than us, so they must have known their chances - otherwise why would they have been so quick to complete the deal when if finally happened.

And if they had more of an idea, they should have a plan on standby. Our understanding of where things were and their's should have been completely different, especially if they are as fastidious as they claim to be.

The idea that a) they could just pay Rafa a manager's salary to stay out of work in case something happened, and b) Rafa would accept that arrangement, is nonsense. 

If the only way for the new management team to look competent in your eyes, was to enter into a fantasy business arrangement before they even became the new management team, they're on a hiding to nothing. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 2
  • Jaysus... 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Come to think of it, that could be an attractive proposition for Ten Hag, which sucks.

Xavi is the clear favourite for the job. Barca are just trying to get him out of his manager contract for the middle eastern team he's working at. 

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

Come to think of it, that could be an attractive proposition for Ten Hag, which sucks.

I don't understand why it would be an attractive proposition for anyone right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I don't understand why it would be an attractive proposition for anyone right now.

Theyre still Barcelona, theyve still got great players and a top manager would always back themselves to do better than the last guy.

Theyve got some exceptional youngsters as well as frenkie de jong who ten hag had playing better than any of his barca managers have been able to.

They have good players but not on a par with what they've had for the last 15 years. Just like the Barcelona of the North I think most top managers would say 'I'd like the job but after the next guy has been in and done the shitty part'.

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread