Shelvey's unrivalled stats and his peers in central midfield vs Arsenal (aka match thread drivel)

Dr Gloom

1 minute ago, Dougle said:

This mantra of “we didn’t deserve anything” out of the game is patently bollocks, three clear penalty claims utterly ignored by ALL the officials and a Shelvey effort that plenty of times could have counted.

From what I remember teams don’t have to dominate or necessarily be the best overall to grab a point or even three. We were denied clear, decent chances by blinkered officials and a very decent goalkeeper.

Does it count how much the commentators are bothered and the producers whether they show constant replays of a penalty incident for var to start looking at things? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Does it count how much the commentators are bothered and the producers whether they show constant replays of a penalty incident for var to start looking at things? 

Not as far as I am aware, but I'm probably missing your point.

Edited by Dougle

He's played under top managers for club and country for most of his career. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a good manager but all the evidence so far and the way he speaks makes me think he will be, if he isn't already one.

Edit replying to @Dr Gloom

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

6 minutes ago, Dougle said:

This mantra of “we didn’t deserve anything” out of the game is patently bollocks, three clear penalty claims utterly ignored by ALL the officials and a Shelvey effort that plenty of times could have counted.

From what I remember teams don’t have to dominate or necessarily be the best overall to grab a point or even three. We were denied clear, decent chances by blinkered officials and a very decent goalkeeper.

I dunno, I grimly sat through 90 minutes of that in the freezing cold yesterday and honestly, from where I was sitting, Arsenal bossed it.

They were so comfortable in the second half, they were happy to sit back at 2-0 with the game won, knowing we were never likely to get back into it. 

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

He's played under top managers for club and country for most of his career. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a good manager but all the evidence so far and the way he speaks makes me think he will be, if he isn't already one.

Edit replying to @Dr Gloom

You could well be right tbf, but I think it’s too early to say. If we had appointed him I think he’d probably struggle with our shite just as Howe is. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

I dunno, I grimly sat through 90 minutes of that in the freezing cold yesterday and honestly, from where I was sitting, Arsenal bossed it.

They were so comfortable in the second half, they were happy to sit back at 2-0 with the game won, knowing we were never likely to get back into it. 

Well aye, but I think I covered that in my post.

1 minute ago, Dougle said:

Well aye, but I think I covered that in my post.

I’d say we didn’t deserve anything. If I were an Arsenal fan and we’d nicked a point from that game I’d be going home thinking we were robbed 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

You could well be right tbf, but I think it’s too early to say. If we had appointed him I think he’d probably struggle with our shite just as Howe is. 

Well he might have been able to tighten us up and work on our shape without the ball if he learned anything from Benitez. I don't have much confidence in Howe in that regard, and don't think we can outscore teams.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’d say we didn’t deserve anything. If I were an Arsenal fan and we’d nicked a point from that game I’d be going home thinking we were robbed 

Of course you would, but that's football.  But still,, we had clear chances denied, regardless as to the overall quality of our game.

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Well he might have been able to tighten us up and work on our shape without the ball if he learned anything from Benitez. I don't have much confidence in Howe in that regard, and don't think we can outscore teams.

On the evidence so far (admittedly only a couple of games) you have to question  whether Howe can sort us out defensively - something even his supporters say was his weak spot at Bournemouth. 

I really fear the worst after the Arsenal game. Feels like we have to win the next two home games. I can’t remember when a game last felt as important as Norwich on Tuesday. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Kindly fuck off with the Gerrard would have been a better option patter. He's a completely unknown quantity. That alone makes him an objectively worse option. 

Nah, you can make that judgement after two games under Howe. Including one he couldn’t even attend and we got a draw even though the keeper had a fucking mare and cost us the win.  And another where we lost away to a team who’d won 4 on the bounce and have a much better squad. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Nah, you can make that judgement after two games under Howe. Including one he couldn’t even attend and we got a draw even though the keeper had a fucking mare and cost us the win.  And another where we lost away to a team who’d won 4 on the bounce and have a much better squad. 

Let's make it after he takes us down instead. Listening to Gerrard talk about balance was like he'd been Rafa cloned. Watching Howe go all out attack and concede 3 at home to Brentford just reminded me of the short blanket analogy. But let's not pretend we don't have any previous Howe work we can make our judgement on. He's been employed before, you know.

If Ashley had appointed him everybody would have been up in arms. I'm not saying he's talentless, just not what we need right now.

Bookmarked.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff