Longstaff Brothers Dim

wykikitoon

On 01/02/2023 at 07:45, Chaser said:

He's finally gone full circle and is looking like the player Man Utd wanted to buy. Let's hope they wish they had and he does them in the final. 

He's done a 540 now 

Aye, I'm not a professional sportsman, but I imagine it's very hard to rid yourself of fatigue during the actual season. Even when you go to one game a week (which hasn't really happened anyway). Once it's there, the games and the training aren't going away.

Add in fucking stupid 8pm kick off times at the other end of the country, and it soon starts to take its toll.

I think there was a hope that once the intensity of games got dialled down that we would start looking like our old selves but Howe clearly STILL doesn't think we're in the right physical shape to go back to choking the life out of the opposition.

Is there an international break coming up any time soon?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

He looks fuckin knackered iyam. Joe W and Anderson can’t get match fit quick enough :cuppa:

I watched Howe's press conference this morning and his patter on Anderson was that he nearly didn't travel cos he's still had so little training time. He was saying obviously he's really pleased he took him in the end cos of the pen, but that he could just as easily have stayed at home.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Aye, I'm not a professional sportsman, but I imagine it's very hard to rid yourself of fatigue during the actual season.

Agreed. I imagine it's similar to cyclists preparing for the TdF in the sense that training loads need to be managed very carefully throughout the year in order to manage fitness levels. And playing two games a week for months with the same eleven means our players are the equivalent of turning up for the TdF with two Giros in their legs. If this is the case, then they would need an off-season and a chance to reset properly to then restart the elevation of fitness levels. Maybe that's bullshit but it makes sense to me.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Agreed. I imagine it's similar to cyclists preparing for the TdF in the sense that training loads need to be managed very carefully throughout the year in order to manage fitness levels. And playing two games a week for months with the same eleven means our players are the equivalent of turning up for the TdF with two Giros in their legs. If this is the case, then they would need an off-season and a chance to reset properly to then restart the elevation of fitness levels. Maybe that's bullshit but it makes sense to me.

Aye totally agree and good analogy. I reckon at the start of the season you start with a full tank, and like you say you need to manage that throughout the season. Our tank has been depleted by the fixture schedule and the injuries, and all the clear up of fixtures (to an extent) has done is slow down the bleeding. It doesn't refill the tank, I don't think you can do that during the season.

I feel a bit shite for Howe and the players cos Howe doesn't want to make excuses and the players are exposed to all the social media bullshit.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Well, there's only one Giro before the Tour in a season.

BUT It still stands.  

There were people trying to say its not fatigue the other day.  Sorry, but that is still having an impact and if you don't think it is you're just stupid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The only thing this season has proved is that there are probably as many fuckwits in our fanbase as in every other club … bar Nan United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Sunderland, Man City, Spurs etc obviously.

The shit and the expectations some are coming up with is absolutely retarded. Of course there are some things that aren’t going well, of course there have been poor individual performance, of course there have been mistakes by the coaching staff as well. But the hyperbole and over the top slagging off of players is really annoying.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Ugh, I picture you pulling over to the side of the road on your bike, unclipping your shoes, taking your helmet and mirrored glasses off and demanding that toonotl wind down the window of his ute for you to make this point to him.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

BUT It still stands.  

There were people trying to say its not fatigue the other day.  Sorry, but that is still having an impact and if you don't think it is you're just stupid.

:lol: Most of what I know about the Giro comes from Liggett's annual ritual of crapping on about whichever Italian star fresh off a great Giro result was going to challenge Armstrong only for them to get immediately dropped at the start of week 2 when the road went upwards for the first time during the Tour. That Ferrari gear was on another level to lil' Italy's Giro di Italia.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Ugh, I picture you pulling over to the side of the road on your bike, unclipping your shoes, taking your helmet and mirrored glasses off and demanding that toonotl wind down the window of his ute for you to make this point to him.

I mean, I did miss off the 'equivalent' bit :lol: Sorry @toonotl

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

he's great at running around and pressing, except for when he doesn't do that. then he looks shit 

This reads like my cover letter :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Road Rage Jam GIF by JamCycling

FYP

• Haha 2

'Very disrespectful'- Sean Longstaff opens up on failed £50m Man United deal

Newcastle United midfielder Sean Longstaff has opened up on his failed move to Manchester United in 2019.

The 26-year-old was strongly linked with the Red Devils five years ago, though a transfer failed to materialise after Newcastle's £50million asking price emerged.

Interest in Longstaff arrived on the back of his breakthrough season at St James' Park, which saw him make 11 successive starts under Rafa Benitez's stewardship before damaging his knee ligaments in a 2-0 away defeat by West Ham in March 2019.

United initially made contact with the Magpies with the intention of offering £20m, though quickly discovered Newcastle were seeking more than double this amount and an agreement between both parties could not be found.

Walking out at Old Trafford, of all places, as captain of Newcastle back in November, highlighted how things could have worked out differently for Longstaff. But how exactly does he reflect on not ending up as a member of the Red Devils' squad?

"I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and I felt the same that night [captaining Newcastle], walking out and looking around," Longstaff explained. "If that move had happened, I'd never have been about for the Newcastle takeover and I'd never have been able to captain the club. There are so many things I wouldn't have been able to do.

"I'm happy it didn't happen in the end, because what I've gone on to achieve over the last two years - scoring in a League Cup semi-final, getting to play in a cup final, playing in the Champions League - have been things I never thought would happen, playing for Newcastle.

"When the Manchester United stuff came around, I was still still so young. I'd probably deal with it differently now and not allow myself to get caught up in every little thing going on with it. I was coming back from my knee injury at the time, trying to get fit to prove I could still play. People are talking about you and have built you up so much that the perception is 'Now you're like Lionel Messi'. Everyone was expecting too much. Meanwhile, I was in the gym thinking 'I can't even do one leg squat'. There was so much going on, but none of the Manchester United stuff came to fruition and I seemed to go from up here to down there."

Adding further insight into how close he was to heading for Manchester, Longstaff told FourFourTwo: "To be honest, I'm not 100 per cent sure. At the time, Rafa had left, and I'll be the first to say that as soon as I saw Rafa go, I thought, 'Oh, he's just given me a chance - he knew me'.

"Then the new boss comes in and straight away you get a feel for people, and I could sort of tell that we were going to butt heads. Then the club stated 'We want £50million for you" and you think, 'Well that's because they've lost Rafa'. Then they said 'We'll give you a new contract', but they never gave me a new contract.

"It plays with your head a bit, and I just thought it was very disrespectful. My contract was winding down and you think, 'Ah, I'm probably not going to be here any more' - then the takeover happens, the new manager comes in and you think, 'Oh, I've only got a year left on my contract and now I really want to stay here!' It's bygones. I love coming in every single day now, and hope I can be here for a while."

Still want to see him and willock lining up against Reyaaal Maadreed together:good:

Howe mentioned in the most recent press conference that Longstaff has been playing with a niggling foot injury for months. Something to do with his foot/ankle that has restricted training in recent weeks. And he's been getting injections to play. This explains a lot.

Potentially it makes the argument that given Willock's return there should be a consideration to bench him and use him as a substitute. I think the difficulty with that approach is that his ability to impact a match is predominantly built around his ability to run and run for 90+ minutes. He isn't the kind of player you'd expect to bring on for his impact. It's a difficult one.

I think the general takeaway is that he's been playing injured and doing so for the team at the expense of his own performances. The question to Howe was among the first of the presser from someone I think is internal to the club (maybe). Seems it was offered up as an opportunity for Howe to clarify the situation for the supporters. It seems that for most of us it is merely confirmation of what we already suspected.

Poor lad. Must be rough playing on one leg and get dogs abuse from us wronguns' on the internet.*

*I reserve the right to resume carrying on like a knobend the very moment the match starts on Saturday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Poor lad. Must be rough playing on one leg and get dogs abuse from us wronguns' on the internet.*

*I reserve the right to resume carrying on like a knobend the very moment the match starts on Saturday.

Why don't you just call out @wykikitoon directly ?

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Haha 7