Longstaff Brothers Dim

wykikitoon

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Apparently they're about to offer Sean a 4 year contract. Does the tea lady need a new assistant or something? 

With Hayden, Matty and Hendrick getting peddled we need some squad players. Hopefully he's young enough to get back to his early promise with some decent coaching. Not a bad thing to have a few local lads in the squad either. 

• Like 4

Longstaff is in the same boat as Krafth in my opinion - looked absolutely shite under Bruce but with some decent coaching, there's a decent player in there. We've been able to see it with Krafth as a result of Trippier's injury and how many of us have been pleasantly surprised at how he's played? 

If they're offering him a new contract, Eddie is obviously seeing something there worth developing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

With Hayden, Matty and Hendrick getting peddled we need some squad players. Hopefully he's young enough to get back to his early promise with some decent coaching. Not a bad thing to have a few local lads in the squad either. 

I’m kind of mixed about this. IF we’re competing on several fronts and IF they’re getting playing time then, yes definitely but otherwise both the Longstaffs need to go for their own good. Seen it too often when young kids hang around waiting for a first team chance then their careers just fade out because they’ve regressed because they’ve not played enough competitive football 

• Like 5

I'd let Matty go but I would give Sean a bit longer to prove himself. He looked veey promising 3 years ago. Good to have some lads from Shields playing, Sam Fender might do a job on the wing too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m kind of mixed about this. IF we’re competing on several fronts and IF they’re getting playing time then, yes definitely but otherwise both the Longstaffs need to go for their own good. Seen it too often when young kids hang around waiting for a first team chance then their careers just fade out because they’ve regressed because they’ve not played enough competitive football 

I guess the bit that confuses me is the players people have listed as us getting rid of and we need depth aren’t in the squad. He’s clearly the worst CM in our current 25, and I’m really hoping we plan to add at least 1 CM in the summer as most of our current group aren’t good enough. So where does he fit in? 

Maybe the plan is to sign him on a deal so we can get money for him? But I’m not sure that would be the case, and then he could opt to just sit on the deal. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'd let Matty go but I would give Sean a bit longer to prove himself. He looked veey promising 3 years ago. Good to have some lads from Shields playing, Sam Fender might do a job on the wing too. 

That’s the thing though isn’t it - it was three years ago.

I’m agnostic tbh. Don’t mind him being given a two year extension to see if improves with Howe’s coaching and better quality players around him. I wouldn’t lose too much sleep if we let him go. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

I wonder how much of it is to do with the Home Grown quota stuff. I always wondered if that was as strict as football manager makes it out to be, but if it's directly translated then he's one of the few players who the club has trained itself. All the other "big" clubs have players like this, our problem is just that we have done such a shit job investing in our youth training over the years that we don't really have much else to show for it.

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I wonder how much of it is to do with the Home Grown quota stuff. I always wondered if that was as strict as football manager makes it out to be, but if it's directly translated then he's one of the few players who the club has trained itself. All the other "big" clubs have players like this, our problem is just that we have done such a shit job investing in our youth training over the years that we don't really have much else to show for it.

I originally thought this as well since I remembered there was some bit about needing 2 players actually produced by the club in the squad, but it seems that was just a plan that was never implemented. The rules seem very loose:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11661/12052427/do-premier-league-clubs-need-to-sign-homegrown-players

It seems to be 8 players that trained at a British club for 3 years prior to being 21. Their nationality, and club they trained at, don’t matter. So Eric Dier doesn’t count, but Cesc Fabregas did. So if we let Longstaff fuck off and got Kalvin Phillips our quota wouldn’t change. 

• Like 1

Theres a lower premier league or championship level player in both of the longstaffs imo, with a bit more proper coaching we'll see that.

That makes them useful in the squad and saleable assets down the line. Now that the club are going to be bothering the FFP line rather than being as far from it as possible that makes a difference, the Longstaffs cost nothing to produce as far as FFP is concerned, if we can get PL transfer money for one or both of them (more like championship for matty I think) then it is just a free top up of that budget.

Its exactly what City do and it is exactly what we should be looking to do, you skim the very best off the top and get a talent like Foden if you're lucky and the rest get some high level coaching, some loans or cup appearances and then they go and make you money when they leave.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Theres a lower premier league or championship level player in both of the longstaffs imo, with a bit more proper coaching we'll see that.

That makes them useful in the squad and saleable assets down the line. Now that the club are going to be bothering the FFP line rather than being as far from it as possible that makes a difference, the Longstaffs cost nothing to produce as far as FFP is concerned, if we can get PL transfer money for one or both of them (more like championship for matty I think) then it is just a free top up of that budget.

Its exactly what City do and it is exactly what we should be looking to do, you skim the very best off the top and get a talent like Foden if you're lucky and the rest get some high level coaching, some loans or cup appearances and then they go and make you money when they leave.

I take your point, I guess I just struggle to see how they get in the squad going forward. We already had to unregister other midfielders on the books, so I imagine if we buy say Bissouma and/or Pacqueta, Sean would be unregistered. Unless there’s a plan to loan both out and hope to sell I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

I take your point, I guess I just struggle to see how they get in the squad going forward. We already had to unregister other midfielders on the books, so I imagine if we buy say Bissouma and/or Pacqueta, Sean would be unregistered. Unless there’s a plan to loan both out and hope to sell I suppose. 

I guess the hope is that we'll be competing on more fronts, actually making a go of the cups and next season in particular is going to be really weird schdeuling-wise because of the world cup.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Are Hayden and Hendrick out of contract? Clark and Lewis The Coward need to go but LTC has a long contract and the shithouse,as we know,prefers not to play .Both Longstaff’s have to go if we’re to go to the next level.

39 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Are Hayden and Hendrick out of contract? Clark and Lewis The Coward need to go but LTC has a long contract and the shithouse,as we know,prefers not to play .Both Longstaff’s have to go if we’re to go to the next level.

Oof! Why do you even pretend to be this idiotic when it comes to typing out letters that should lead to words? 

Woah! What, when, why,, and how is the Fulwell End? Figure out punctuation!   :MITRO: Attendance Records!

DQE-6-Xz-Wk-AEYnmg.jpg

Womp, womp essembee...

Shite poster with an absolute dire opinion, if only there was at least one way to back up your ineptitude!