Eddie Howe

Tom

28 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Add to that the fact that Ashley put a lot of shit players on extended contracts as it was cheaper than buying replacements and who decided that they would rather stink the place up than take less money and actually play football.

FYP

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

:nufc:

I hope he’s here for another 5-10 years. He’ll have a statue outside sjp if he manages it 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I highly doubt Howe would go. He'd talk to the FA I'm sure, cos he's professional and because it's a brilliant bargaining chip at his next contract negotiation, but seeing players once every few months would drive him mental, I'm sure. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I highly doubt Howe would go. He'd talk to the FA I'm sure, cos he's professional and because it's a brilliant bargaining chip at his next contract negotiation, but seeing players once every few months would drive him mental, I'm sure. 

he's still a young manager. feels like it's 10 years too soon for him

• Like 4

Just now, Gemmill said:

Aye I totally agree.  He is well bought into our project and I just can't see him jumping ship.

Plus looking at recent interviews, he loves that day to day stuff.  Whereas Southgate prefers walks around Swinsty res and doing paint by numbers.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Plus looking at recent interviews, he loves that day to day stuff.  Whereas Southgate prefers walks around Swinsty res and doing paint by numbers.

He said ages ago he'd maybe consider it years down the line but has no interest now. If he went I'd be gutted, but at least Jose is in work now so that rumour won't start up and we'd end up with someone like Pochettino who has a similar work ethic/playing style.

Plus, it would be nice to be able to give a shit about the national team again.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Fake Sheikh secretly videoing him downing a pint of wine after explaining some trade secrets, like how to get an in-cell bar chart by using the Rept function in Excel?

• 1 month later...

More noise around this today it seems.  I wonder with Mandy off, would this make Howe think it could be time for him, or will have feel he has unfinished work here?  If he is offered England, he might not be offered again so could see it as his only chance?  

I think it's too soon, he could do something here (NUFC) with 1-2 more seasons then maybe look at England?  Though assume next England manager will take through to 2026 WC in America, seems reasonable to line Howe up for after that (assuming another year of winning nowt).

4 minutes ago, JawD said:

More noise around this today it seems.  I wonder with Mandy off, would this make Howe think it could be time for him, or will have feel he has unfinished work here?  If he is offered England, he might not be offered again so could see it as his only chance?  

I think it's too soon, he could do something here (NUFC) with 1-2 more seasons then maybe look at England?  Though assume next England manager will take through to 2026 WC in America, seems reasonable to line Howe up for after that (assuming another year of winning nowt).

I think it's a non-starter. Potter is nailed on for me.

Howe would be class with England I think, but at the same time I don't think he'd like the waiting around and the boredom. He'd have too much time on his hands.

• Like 1

With the players currently available for England if he’s offered it I think he’ll have to at least think about it with the World Cup coming up in two years time. And if the club say “yeah go and speak to England” that would be a strong indication that Eales had the board may want their own man…

Edited by PaddockLad

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

With the players currently available for England if he’s offered it I think he’ll have to at least think about it with the World Cup coming up in two years time. And if the club say “yeah go and speak to England” that would be a strong indication that Eales had the board may want their own man…

Eales being quoted that Howe signed a new multi-year deal last summer (on the quiet) and they've no intention of letting him go.

That said, it'll be up to Eddie.

8 minutes ago, JawD said:

They'll not just give the new bloke the next WC and bin them if they don't win it. Not when Southgate has just had 8 years. 

The question for Howe will be does he think it comes around again if he knocks it back now. And if it did come around again, would he have the same quality of players to work with. 

I think he'll probably end up knocking it back cos he doesn't see himself as an international manager yet (too much downtime). 

Alternatively, his kids are young, maybe downtime would be good to spend more time with them.

I think it'll be a really hard decision if they do approach him. I would assume he'll be well clear at the top of their list though. 

The idea of Eales wanting his own man... He'd be crazy to sack Howe and would be taking a massive unnecessary risk on his own reputation. 

I don't think the idea of us replacing Howe is remotely on the agenda, whether the FA comes knocking or not. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

The idea of Eales wanting his own man... He'd be crazy to sack Howe and would be taking a massive unnecessary risk on his own reputation. 

I don't think the idea of us replacing Howe is remotely on the agenda, whether the FA comes knocking or not. 

He's being quoted as saying as much, bloke he wants is called Eddie Howe

If Howe has a reasonably successful club career there's a good chance the England job will be there for the taking at some stage. If he goes now just when he's starting to build a top reputation at club level and spends 6-8 years with England who knows what opportunities come after that given he'll be in a totally different type of day to day routine, not coaching and working with players on a regular basis as he likes to do. It just doesnt feel like the right time for him to take an international job.

At least that's what I hope he's thinking.

What a great summer so far, try to hang onto your best players and now a question mark on the manager. Hopefully the FA make their move soon and Howe decides quickly either way. 

If the FA come calling, and Eddie wants it, I can't see the club standing in his way.

Forget all the poisoned chalice nonsense, if Southgate has achieved anything in the past 8 years it's that he's restored the culture and pride of representing your nation - managing the national team is once again something that English managers will be aspiring towards. 

Trying to look at it objectively, is there anyone better suited to pick up the reins at take it to the next level? People rattling on about Potter but I think that's mainly down to the fact he's out of work so an easy option. The FA need to be busting a gut for the best option, not the easy option, and don't even get me started with Carsley - might as well give Steve Bruce a call.

The suggestion of Klopp should be fired into the long grass too. He's spoken openly about how he's knackered and needing a break from the game - embarking on trying to lead England to the World Cup is hardly grounds for recuperation. Besides, the minute Germany or Bayern Munich came calling, he'd be off like a shot. 

Edited by Craig

Howe and Poch rumours will be swirling for the foreseeable until the FA make their move. Poch seems like the logical choice to replace him here should he wish to go for it, but then I think Poch could well be a shrewd choice for England too.

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Alreet JawD. 

IMO Howe stays. He's a club manager and not a International manager. 

I see this line getting mentioned a lot. Graham Taylor aside, I can't recall anyone who falls into that category - any people tend to forget a good proportion of his time was with Lineker past his best and Gascoigne & Shearer lost to long term injuries. 

Robson and Venables are two examples that immediately spring to mind to support the view you can be successful and both club and international football management.