Eddie Howe

Tom

5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

The latest TF episode is a local journos live panel (Hope, Edwards, Downie, Douglas). Anyway, Edwards is talking about Howe and they're talking about how modest he is and how he would hate listening to all the praise he's getting from them for the way he's handled the season and the injury situation etc.

Then as an aside Edwards recounts a story one of the coaching staff told him. Apparently Howe's wife has been complaining that they never do anything together in Newcastle. So Eddie takes her to a garden centre. For lunch. :lol: He's some boy.

100% that's Dobbies. He'd be a fool not to pay £12 year for his Dobbies Rewards Card which entitles you to 2 free coffees a month, and the man is no fool.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

100% that's Dobbies. He'd be a fool not to pay £12 year for his Dobbies Rewards Card which entitles you to 2 free coffees a month, and the man is no fool.

It's not a bad Garden centre, and the Badger next door is ok for food but considering what Eddie is earning, youd think he would treat her to another hostelry. 

You've got to feel for them. It must be a nightmare trying to go anywhere without getting bothered by the public.

49 minutes ago, Chaser said:

It's not a bad Garden centre, and the Badger next door is ok for food but considering what Eddie is earning, youd think he would treat her to another hostelry. 

You've got to feel for them. It must be a nightmare trying to go anywhere without getting bothered by the public.

I read somewhere he took them to The Hoppings wearing a disguise. I immediately imagined a fusion between Groucho Marx and Inspector Gadget having a whispered 'discussion' about what they call darts.

7 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

I read somewhere he took them to The Hoppings wearing a disguise. I immediately imagined a fusion between Groucho Marx and Inspector Gadget having a whispered 'discussion' about what they call darts.

I'd have to be in disguise myself to go to that shower of shit.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MMXXVIII said:

He'd have been dead from heat stroke this year man, it was 30 degrees when the Hoppings rocked up and Inspector Gadget wore a flasher mack. 

• 4 weeks later...

That's the shitty business that is football, unfortunately. If we lose on Saturday all the chin dribblers will be out in force crying for him to be binned and the level headed normal people who love Howe will be drowned out (figuratively, not literally drowned in the tidal wave of saliva from the mongo arm of our fan base). Stranger things have happened, but him getting the bullet if we lose to the mackems is not out of the realms of possibility IMO. Especially, when we're likely to lose the two games after that too.

• Like 3

I think it's wishful thinking to think that Staveley, Reuben and Merdhad have that kind of control tbh. I think if the Saudis want a change then change it is, no matter how much the others push back.

• Like 2

Not one part of me wants Howe to go, however, if they were going to bin him off, I think that they would give him a while to turn it around.

They seem on the ball- they didn't even rush the Steve Bruce sacking. They didn't need to appoint straight away. They could have sacked him, had us all happy and dithered. I just cannot see this happening.

They don't even rush into player purchases and that is an easier decision to make in terms of business to do. 

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I think it's wishful thinking to think that Staveley, Reuben and Merdhad have that kind of control tbh. I think if the Saudis want a change then change it is, no matter how much the others push back.

I agree that the power is with the Saudis. They don't seem to have made any decisions so far that would indicate that they would sack Howe. 

We lose to Sunderland and that means nothing to them. I would imagine the PSG results would mean more, based on ownership, and we won one, drew one. 

Didn't it take Howe ages to get the first win against Burnley or did it just feel like a life time?

4 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I think a lot of people are overestimating how much the Saudis care about a blip in form. We’re a tiny part of PIF’s portfolio, I doubt they take much interest.

• Like 2

They'll still want a progress report. There will be a manager of a manager somewhere. I hope Amanda can sell the extenuating circumstances and over-performing from last season but from statistical, black-or-white  point of view we've gone backwards.

In terms of local support, the Sunderland game is huge to keep the mongs on board.  If we get a drubbing then the momentum will start.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think a lot of people are overestimating how much the Saudis care about a blip in form. We’re a tiny part of PIF’s portfolio, I doubt they take much interest.

Judging by the documentary they seemed to take a lot of interest tbf. There was a whole team of PIF people in a zoom call to sign off the Gordon signing IIRC. 

I don't want Howe gone, I think he's been a miracle worker, and the culture he's cultivated has been immense - the connection between the fans and the club now is better than I can ever recall it being, that's mainly down to Howe IMO. However, the doylems are often the most vocal of any fan base and it would not surprise me if said doylems were the ones that cost the man his job, because they turn after a bad showing against the mackems.

Look at the mackems with Mowbray - most of the normal crowd liked him and wanted him to stay, the most braindead of their support got him out - same with Birmingham and Eustace from memory, and they ended up with fucking Rooney! 

7 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Judging by the documentary they seemed to take a lot of interest tbf. There was a whole team of PIF people in a zoom call to sign off the Gordon signing IIRC. 

I don't want Howe gone, I think he's been a miracle worker, and the culture he's cultivated has been immense - the connection between the fans and the club now is better than I can ever recall it being, that's mainly down to Howe IMO. However, the doylems are often the most vocal of any fan base and it would not surprise me if said doylems were the ones that cost the man his job, because they turn after a bad showing against the mackems.

Look at the mackems with Mowbray - most of the normal crowd liked him and wanted him to stay, the most braindead of their support got him out - same with Birmingham and Eustace from memory, and they ended up with fucking Rooney! 

I’d take whatever you see in the documentary with a pinch of salt, they made it as polished as they could and like to promote the idea of the Saudis having the final decision on signings to help them during negotiations.

I’m not saying they aren’t keeping tabs on things but they are somewhat detached and isolated from the situation on the ground.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I’d take whatever you see in the documentary with a pinch of salt, they made it as polished as they could and like to promote the idea of the Saudis having the final decision on signings to help them during negotiations.

I’m not saying they aren’t keeping tabs on things but they are somewhat detached and isolated from the situation on the ground.

I think they are emotionally detached so wouldn't be bothered about a local derby defeat but (eg) when they look at 10 defeats out of 11 (which there is a big chance could actually happen) then they will start asking questions. This won't be the direction they want the club going in.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Think Eddie will get this season and the start of the next at least.

He’s earned some good grace, he took over in November 2021 and we were bottom (or second bottom?). It’s just ticked over to 2024 and we beat PSG 4-1 in the champions league. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Dazzler said:

That's the shitty business that is football, unfortunately. If we lose on Saturday all the chin dribblers will be out in force crying for him to be binned and the level headed normal people who love Howe will be drowned out (figuratively, not literally drowned in the tidal wave of saliva from the mongo arm of our fan base). Stranger things have happened, but him getting the bullet if we lose to the mackems is not out of the realms of possibility IMO. Especially, when we're likely to lose the two games after that too.

If he loses the next three I think he’ll get the bullet. That’s not me saying he should, just what I think will probably happen. Hopefully we won’t find out 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

If he loses the next three I think he’ll get the bullet. That’s not me saying he should, just what I think will probably happen. Hopefully we won’t find out 

That's my view as well. I really don't think the PIF arm of the ownership will give a shite about sentimentality, injuries or whether we over achieved last season. It'll come down to the results, and if they continue they'll get rid.

Like you, I hope it doesn't happen.

• Like 1

One thing is for sure and that’s that this crowd will have the next man lined up before pulling the trigger on Howe. I’m not sure who that man could be. We’ve been linked to the Girona manager but I can’t see him leaving mid-season and with Man City’s money the club could afford to turn down any offers for him.

Should these fears come true and the Saudis do eventually push Eddie out, I'd love to see their plan for the next manager. As things stand their pitch would be:

"Transfer budget for the next year is about 2 loan deals. We want you to take this half squad of relegation fighting Bruce players and finish top 4 plus win a cup or two. Just like Eddie did, after which we backed him with 2 first team signings and against everyone's wildest expectations the whole thing fell to shite so he got the sack."

I'm confident candidates will be falling over each other to join.

• Like 3